Notices

Damn! You are absolutely right, pipeline.
It seems that I have misstyped emelfm2 the first time I entered its name in the console prompt and since the pop up keyboard 'learns' new words it recorded the wrong spelling. Then every time I started typing emelfm2 it suggested emelf2 and I agreed with it... By the way, how can I remove such wrong words from the pop up keyboard dictionary?

This is just another example how big plans can be ruined by a stupid mistake...

I finally made the necessary changes and it seems that this time everything is fine.

tsvest

I HATE using the terminal but sometimes you just have to, so this is what I did to make it as painless and easy.

In terminal: (make sure you already installed gainroot)
- go to the menu, select tools, then settings, then toolbar settings
- click new
- for demonstrating purposes let's title it "root"
- type in this value s,u,d,o,KP_Space,g,a,i,n,r,o,o,t,KP_Enter
This will make a one click solution to gain root.

Now simply make a new button for "emelfm2" by using the value
e,m,e,l,f,m,2,KP_Enter

cool huh?

I can now get root then open emelfm2 with 2 clicks and no terminal typing.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to gigabites For This Useful Post:
Thanks gigabites,
I made these two new buttons for xterm and now emelfm2 as root is just two clicks away

I have a small remark for anybody else trying to install these two shortcuts:

Originally Posted by gigabites View Post
- go to the menu, select tools, then settings, then toolbar settings
It is 'Toolbar shortcut' button, not toolbar settings.

Now that I managed to do the tricks I have another question:
How to associate application/x-mplayer2 with mplayer?
I added the necessary line in defaults.list, but it does not work. Maybe some other changes should be made.

Edit: I found this file /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache and added in it 'application/x-mplayer2=hildon-dbus-switchboard.desktop'. As far as I can see this is a step in the right direction, but something more should be done as well...

Pipeline, please help. This is an important issue when watching live TV and other embedded content in Windows Media format.

Last edited by tsvest; 2008-05-11 at 20:15.

Originally Posted by tsvest View Post
This is an important issue when watching live TV and other embedded content in Windows Media format.
Embedded, huh? Is that like an embedded video in a webpage? Can you give me web page or file location to use as a sample?

Normally everything can be done using the :
/usr/lib/application/defaults.list,
/home/user/.dbus-switch-xref.cfg, and
/home/user/.dbus-switch-apps.cfg files.

Yes, embedded windows media video on a web page. On a windows based PC it appears as a small window in which windows media player displays video.

You may try http://www.utv.bg/
I hope you can open it from your location. This is a Bulgarian site with lots of online television channels. You can change the language from top left and then choose a category and channel to watch. For instance the first channel under weather seems quite watchable.

I also found a thread in ITT about mplayer plugin which seems to do similar job, but I haven't tried it yet. In my opinion it will be better to have application/x-mplayer2 associated with mplayer than using this plugin.

Hmm well i went to this link : http://www.utv.bg/cat/cat_13.html
and clicked on watch link for weather channel and it took me to a page with media icon embedded... when i click the icon it loaded dbus-switchboard's 'mplayer-playlist' profile.. launching mplayer standalone and it played fine.

so my question is :
do you want your device to do the same thing or are u asking to embed moving video in webpage.

if u want embedded video u probably need (bundyo's?) plugin.

If launching standalone is fine, make sure you're running dbus-switchboard 1.1.2 and we just need to chase down which association its using.

Yes, I prefer to be able to watch the windows media content (application/x-mplayer2) in mplayer standalone. I am able to do this with some channels, but most of the channels don't work this way. For instance http://www.utv.bg/tv/stream.php?code...ksDJ26yGhfdF4e says launching mplayer playlist, but nothing happens. I don't get any error message to understand whether the stream is not working/server is down or mplayer is unable to play such content.

I am running dbus-switchboard 1.1.2.
I checked
/usr/lib/application/defaults.list,
/home/user/.dbus-switch-xref.cfg, and
/home/user/.dbus-switch-apps.cfg files, but I am not sure where and how to put the association of application/x-mplayer2 with mplayer.

Last edited by tsvest; 2008-05-13 at 20:00.

I think the link you gave doesnt work... it wont even work on my desktop computer.. it looks like your link is meant for a single web session... give me the link to the page which doesnt have a code=LKASJDFLKFJSLDKF parameter in it.

Since you say it said mplayer-playlist that does in fact mean that the mime type has been registered to dbus-switchboard. Once dbus-switchboard is registered (via mimetype) in defaults.list you no longer care about mime type... dbus-switchboard only cares about file extensions like .asx and protocols like mms://

Open xterm and type in :
killall -9 python2.5

That kills any resident dbus-switchboard (might kill any open python apps too though so shut down those gracefully first)

Then from xterm run :
dbus-switchboard.py

Then click your link and go back to xterm to see logged info about filenames being passed to dbus-switchboard. Make sure to find the first filename (could be an asx wrapper to an asf file).

Or give me a better (reusable) link to test with.

Yes, I understand that when it says opening mplayer-playlist that means that the mime type has been registered to dbus-switchboard, but I was unable to understand what happens after that. Now, thanks to your advice, I get some feedback from xterm.

It seems that when the embedded content is asx file it gets correctly transfered to mplayer. But when I open for instance http://retv.bg it doesn't work - I got the following in xterm:

dbus-switchboard started
osso_test_receiver: Received an RPC to mime_open.
osso_test_receiver: RPC had arguments /var/tmp/ReTV.
no handler found

Am I right that dbus-switchboard can handle certain file extentions and protocols, but maybe it cannot handle (just for the moment, I hope) appllication/x-mplayer2? That is why, as I've already written, I tried to edit the file /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache, which seems to me that is responsible for handling of the diferent file types.

Last edited by tsvest; 2008-05-14 at 06:04.