Hello. I want to install Gainroot, where can i find it?
Thanks
Bye

Search for becomeroot in http://gronmayer.com/it

Do you mean Becomeroot?

If so:

gronmayer.com/it

It is in the Eko One package.

Edit: Too slow

Eko One says it's shut down by request of the maemo.org webmaster and refers to extras in the maemo repository, but the install file isn't there. It's quite frustrating as EVERY website l have looked at to get become root, links to Eko One. Anyone who can provide this or help out, would be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Look for "rootsh." Its better than gainroot or becomeroot.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by jlipoth View Post
Eko One says it's shut down by request of the maemo.org webmaster and refers to extras in the maemo repository, but the install file isn't there. It's quite frustrating as EVERY website l have looked at to get become root, links to Eko One. Anyone who can provide this or help out, would be greatly appreciated!
Like Thesandlord says, use rootsh, it's right in Extras.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Belgium
Alternatively, install the openssh daemon, which will set a password on the root user for you. Then ssh root@localhost in an xterm, and you can add a line like this to /etc/sudoers with vi:
user ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

Save, and exit the ssh logon. Then, you can get root with sudo -s, and you will not be asked for a password.

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
ok, i'll byte... (you see what i did there...) why and how is rootsh better than gainroot? not having used rootsh before, or hearing of it till now, i have grown accustomed to the gainroot means and methods.

do i have more control of the device or os with rootsh? can i finally source /root/.profile when gaining the privilege of root?
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

To quote qwerty12
* Sudo gainroot works without having RD-Mode enabled.
* There is the root command which is quicker to type and sources the root .profile among others.
* An rootsh command allows you to quickly run an command as root without having to wait for an root shell. It works like sudo (rootsh <command>.

Originally Posted by D'ohboy View Post
To quote qwerty12
* Sudo gainroot works without having RD-Mode enabled.
* There is the root command which is quicker to type and sources the root .profile among others.
* An rootsh command allows you to quickly run an command as root without having to wait for an root shell. It works like sudo (rootsh <command>.
So its like sudo?