Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
What is more interesting to me, if the WiMax is feasible replacement for my home internet connection?
Potentially, but I suspect it'll fall apart where every other cellular data system has fallen apart—latency*.

While this is probably fine for browsing and email usage, anybody who games is gonna suffer a lot.

*In my tests, EDGE is usually in 100-200 range and HSDPA is about 150-250.

Now, now, internet hearts will work just fine...

Guess that (latency) is another suggestion for Tex to test on his beta.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
< devils advocate >
Couldn't you just do that with 3G anyway? Surely the differences you are describing are actually more political than technical reasons?
</ devils advocate >
I know nothing of the technical merits of either technology. (Not that that stops me from commenting on other matters. :-)

But I found this tidbit interesting from Nokia (in January):
Nokia Siemens Networks won a deal with Sprint Nextel to become an infrastructure provider for its 4G WiMAX network
See, WiMAX is 4G and that must mean it's better than 3G, right?

Case closed, at least from the marketing standpoint.

More 'G' (generation) just means higher bandwidth and less/later (it's the same) coverage, from the consumer end.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
You're kidding, right? 3G access works great for me (with fall-back to EDGE when I'm out of 3G coverage areas).
Yes, 3G is great. I was kindly answering your question about why a NIT w/ WiMax is preferable to Wifi only. No sarcasm needed.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I was kindly answering your question about why a NIT w/ WiMax is preferable to Wifi only.
I wasn't asking that question. I was addressing the fact that all wv9k seems to contribute these days is to complain about lack of wifi access and state that he only uses his N800 for ebook reading.

I thank you for your concern, though.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-04-02 at 02:45.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Great White North
As a person with two free WIMAX networks in their area, I just hope that out of the 70 plus protocals that a network can have, that some standardization can take place so when I go to DC or Chicago, my N800 (yes, the N800 is WIMAX capable) will be able to access something other than static. Proposed pricing plans that I have seen are between 30-60 per month for one service and the other is looking at ad supported/city subsidized free WIMAX. Only thing we all can do is be patient and see what is happening because it is exciting.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by electrolind View Post
yes, the N800 is WIMAX capable
Oh, really? Explain, please.

Originally Posted by electrolind View Post
As a person with two free WIMAX networks in their area, I just hope that out of the 70 plus protocals that a network can have, that some standardization can take place so when I go to DC or Chicago, my N800 (yes, the N800 is WIMAX capable) will be able to access something other than static. Proposed pricing plans that I have seen are between 30-60 per month for one service and the other is looking at ad supported/city subsidized free WIMAX. Only thing we all can do is be patient and see what is happening because it is exciting.
WiFi maybe?
if WiMax, then more importantly....
how
me thinks you speak of WiFi still

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Oh yeah, I can't wait to see this one.