Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Just reading specifications of Neo900... Optimistically.
1GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 64GB EMMC,
proximity, compass, gyroscope, barometer/thermometer (Having both would be excellent. If only one, then I prefer barometer; bme already includes temperature sensor from battery, touchscreen might also be used as temperature sensor, and human can approximately feel temperature. Figuring out the pressure is a bit more difficult)
Infrared (curious)
Micro-AB with OTG
Stereo, both in and out, and speakers
Video out
FM transceiver
RS232 (It is an ancient piece of hardware, much like a ball mouse
RFID-EEPROM (Like N9?)
GPS/GLONASS (great! Now, how to add other kinds of positioning systems... I heard Europe, China, India and Japan are starting their own satellite networks?)
Battery hot-swap support (Thank you!)
WiFi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth 2.0
Best wishes...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Well i did like to say dont leave space on board insted cram on something and make the spec sheet 10 pages.

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
We're not really considering to place a second modem module in for "Dual Talk" (DSFA)
Maybe should you considere this possibility, it could be usefull for also having a world wide 4g.

If you don't want to do it, have you still in mind the possibility to swap modems ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Astaoth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Astaoth View Post
Maybe should you considere this possibility, it could be usefull for also having a world wide 4g.

If you don't want to do it, have you still in mind the possibility to swap modems ?
hmm, i dont think worldwide 4g is useful to enough people to be worth it; world walkers can either deal with 3g, or buy two phones.

{supporting as many places as possible is REALLY worth it, and the choose-your-modem model is one of the most important aspects of the neo900 for me}

of course, if swappable modems is possible {say, for someone with light soldering experience} without too steep a price increase, it'd be super cool.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
sorry, there are primarily thermal management reasons that make modem swapping a nogo. For a second modem integrated we need to make device another 2..4mm thicker, and it will cost ~200..300EUR more
/j

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Apr 2014 @ Penang, Malaysia
hi, joerg, if it is possible to change the camera module from N97 to 808 Pureview ones?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blood_falcon For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
of course, if swappable modems is possible {say, for someone with light soldering experience} without too steep a price increase, it'd be super cool.
I'm pretty sure different modems are not pinout compatible.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I'm pretty sure different modems are not pinout compatible.
yea id have been shocked if this were feasible. shocked, and sexually aroused.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
hmm, i dont think worldwide 4g is useful to enough people to be worth it; world walkers can either deal with 3g, or buy two phones.

{supporting as many places as possible is REALLY worth it, and the choose-your-modem model is one of the most important aspects of the neo900 for me}
They are not only world walkers who need this : you can live in one country, and having your family in an other one. Or you can change of country for work reasons, for only few years and after coming back, without wanting to buy an other Neo900, if it is still available.
If you read the modem specifications, you will see that with a 4G modem, you can't have the 3G with the other standard. It is even worse, with the E version, you can't have the GSM in the USA. So for the moment, I must choose a modem without 4G .

Joerg > I see the problem. So I will try to find an other modem, with a worldwide 4G.

Last edited by Astaoth; 2014-07-02 at 09:26. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to Astaoth For This Useful Post:
Hi,

After having constant communication errors on my N900, will the Neo900 be built with leaded solder or lead-free solder? In the job I'm in my phone gets knocked a lot so don't want the same problem.
I haven't looked into whether this will work in New Zealand either yet, but I guess it should. Haven't donated yet. But watching eagerly
Cheers. Pete.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigPeteNZ For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!