Active Topics

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Hi,

I accidentally voted for my own package. I don't think this is the intention of the voting system (however I'm sure politicians vote for themselves ). Shouldn't this be prevented?
I also can't remove my vote - but I can put it to thumbs down - but how does this look like? Maintainer voting his own package down? Not quite trustworthy. Where can I file bugs against maemo.org ?

Resource:
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...sh-it/0.1.4-2/

The Following User Says Thank You to emesem For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
erm, as far as i am aware nearly everyone votes for theirown package, to be fair, you uploaded it, and you think it works, so in my opinion, its a fair vote
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Also, IIRC maintainer downvoting their own package causes it to be demoted.

cell-modem-ui: home | packages - status: 0.5.1-1 in Extras
nowplayingd: home | packages - status: 0.1-2 in extras-devel
custom-pwkmenu: home - no packages yet.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tuminoid For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
erm, as far as i am aware nearly everyone votes for theirown package, to be fair, you uploaded it, and you think it works, so in my opinion, its a fair vote
Agreed,

Whilst not always true, it should often be the case that the developer will have done more testing and had more usage than any other single tester would. As long as that one vote doesn't weigh more than any other seems appropriate to me.

Additionally some software won't have a large number of users, typically if the dev is scratching their own itch.

The Following User Says Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
I never vote for my own package: it being in Testing is an explicit indication that I think it's worth further testing. I don't believe developers should vote for their own packages (except down ;-)), as it effectively reduces the hurdle from "10 [other] people think the package is suitable" to just nine.

But this isn't an argument I've ever won, so I let it go. There are more important battles to be won.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I never vote for my own package: it being in Testing is an explicit indication that I think it's worth further testing. I don't believe developers should vote for their own packages (except down ;-)), as it effectively reduces the hurdle from "10 [other] people think the package is suitable" to just nine.

But this isn't an argument I've ever won, so I let it go. There are more important battles to be won.
I'm a relative newbie here so I may have it wrong, but I thought extras-testing was a mandatory step on the way to extras full. So even the mythical perfect application will be put in there at some stage of it's life-cycle. So in many instances it should be holding release candidates and not just betas. Pre-alphas and alphas I would expect to find in extras-devel.

I feel if it' weren't good enough for a release candidate shouldn't the maintainer be pushing to testing with an explicit down-vote to prevent promotion to extras in that case?

Don't worry I'm not looking to reopen any old disagreements, just want to make sure I'm understanding the structure here.

cheers

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mr id View Post
I feel if it' weren't good enough for a release candidate shouldn't the maintainer be pushing to testing with an explicit down-vote to prevent promotion to extras in that case?
Maybe I got you wrong, but:

Today, if the package has enough votes it only gets unlocked for the promotion to extras. The maintainer has to manually promote it, to get the package to extras. So if the packages was able to get through the voting, the maintainer still has the choice.

Actually, by browsing through extras-testing, I saw a package which had many comments like "the maintainer should promote it to extras" and had not yet done so... but I forgot which app it was - so I can't give an example .

And btw. I also don't know when a package gets unlocked ^^... the package I have in extras came there with only 3 votes... now I have 4 (actually 5, but one from myself ) and the quarantine period is over and I still can't promote it. So I guess the "promotion unlock" is also a manual process.

As you see even maintainers don't know the process (maybe I'm a bad one ).

Last edited by emesem; 2010-09-19 at 14:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to emesem For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post

Jaffa i think both points are view are right, but neither make much difference in the grand scheme.

Allowing the user to upload the package in my view automatically should give their vote. But also, they shouldn't upload the package if they were not sure themseleves that it filled the requirements. So i suppose by blocking their vote, it does mean that this opinion of 'Fit for purpose' is ignored in away.

Anyway, as it is a small thing i'd say either way is a good way, and it can be left up to the maintainer if they wish to vote or not as long as maintainers are uploading im happy!
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by emesem View Post
Maybe I got you wrong, but:

Today, if the package has enough votes it only gets unlocked for the promotion to extras. The maintainer has to manually promote it, to get the package to extras. So if the packages was able to get through the voting, the maintainer still has the choice.
i think i knew this already. i guess i'm just idly musing on - whether the presence of a package in testing is an implicit 'ready for release' i.e. a positive vote or requires an indication from the packager that they think it's ready i.e. an explicit vote up, and am having difficulties seeing why the owner would vote down - unless they find more issues themselves.

unfortunately, i think i'm thinking too much about it! clearly atm the repository serves both roles and this is a good thing.

thanks for your insight.