I just picked one up at CompUSA and I am trying to connect using my SE K700i phone via bluetooth to T-Mobile USA service. It connects to the phone with no problems but I can't get it to connect to T-Mobile, I keep gettting an error message. I have tethered both my Mac iBook and Palm TX to this phone on T-Mobile with no difficulty at all.

Has any successfully connected via Bluetooth and GRPS and if so, can you please share your configuration?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Don't know if this is your problem or not, but as I wrote in "The Nokia 770 with a Bluetooth phone," you need to create a connection to your paired phone.

In my case I connected to the phone OK, but I kept searching in the wrong place for some way to get the phone to call up its service.

Instead, I eventually learned, the correct procedure is to open the Control panel window, go to the Control panel menu, and choose Mobile operator setup wizard from the Tools menu. It’s easy to follow, and seconds after completing it, I was surfing using the phone to connect to the web.

Basically, it adds a connection (mine was called Cingular MediaNet) to the list you've already seen when you connect via WLAN. You just choose your phone connection and the 770 knows what to do.

Hi Roger,

I saw your post before I asked the question and still no luck. Actually the Wizard came up as soon as I turned the unit on for the first time. I've gone deep into advanced settings and tried various combinations of Data call and packet data and am having no success.

I'm wondering if my phone is the issue although as I said, I've used it with a notebook and a Palm device but maybe it is incompatible with the 770 for some reason.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Out of my experience now.

There's supposed to be a list of compatible Bluetooth phones on the wiki, but I looked for it a few days ago and couldn't find it.

(If you find it, please let me know. Thx!)

You might also try posting to the Maemo Users list.

Posts: 148 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Stimutax, AZ
Orange,

What service plan are you under? Have you had success using your bluetooth connection with other devices?

gultig,

I am under the data plan and I can get to any website using Bluetooth with this SE K700i and my Palm and my iBook so I know everything works correctly with the phone and T-Mobile. The only new variable that doesn't work is the 770.

I know the details of settings and the dial-up number *99#, I just can't get it to connect to the Internet.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
I'm with orange-man I'm afraid - no joy.

I can browse the phone with the file manager just fine, but when I try to connect via the connection manager I see activity (bluetooth lights flash), it looks like the connection is starting then.... disconnect. No error messages, nothing.

:-(

bradb,
Is it the same phone? If not, what phone are you using?

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
orange-

Sorry, I'm using a v3 razr (which I've seen reports in another thread as working fine with Cingular) but I've also tested it with my T68i and neither work.

The failure mode is the same. So, my thoughts are it's not the device, it's the carrier (and location). You're not in the Northwest perchance, are you?

I think it's related to the AT commands required to initiate the gprs connection.

bradb-
I'm not northwest, I'm in the Chicago area. I have done some AT commands on my Palm device now that you mention it. I don't see any way to do that on the 770.

My iBook doesn't need any special AT commands to connect, so I'm not really sure what to think at this point other than how disappointed I am that I am stuck at the moment.