I need some help please, my email client on the 770 will pick up my mail and I can reaf my mail, but if I close the email client and then reopen it all the mail is gone. Has any one else seen this problem? and I reset the 770 to default?

I have the same issue. It does not always lose the mail, just 3 times out of 4.

Since I am using IMAP I can force it to reread the messages. Some people have been able to get this to work by deleting the mailbox and recreating a new one, however this usually does not work for me (and then only if I have created a mailbox with a different name from any existing one).

I have found the following to "resolve" the issue (note requires 'X-term' be installed, and probably works best if you are talking to an IMAP server):

1. Take a copy of the /home/user/.osso/osso-email/accountrc file immediately after it is created (immediately after account creation and before downloading any mail).

2. When the issue occurs delete the /home/user/apps/email directory, and copy your pristine copy of accountrc back to it's original location (/home/user/.osso/osso-email/accountrc).

3. Try again.

Not exactly a useful solution (hopefully of use to someone who wants to debug the issue?)... and note that the file paths shown above might not be entirely accurate, as I no longer have access to my Nokia 770-- it's been wrapped up for Christmas by my wife :-(

On the other hand, by the time I am allowed to open it again, maybe this problem will have been fixed :-) !!

Hi Mbassett,

Thanks for your help, bet you can not wait for xmas.... have you a link, where I can download "xterm"

Chris

Originally Posted by ichrisart
have you a link, where I can download "xterm"
http://770.fs-security.com/xterm/

Thanks for the link Titus.

Note that the device itself is happy to download and install X-term from the Opera web browser...

The Following User Says Thank You to mbassett For This Useful Post:
I think I found where the bug is. Make sure that in the Avanced settings of your mailbix, choose to retrieve Messages and attachments. If you choose to retrieve headers or just messages, you might encounter the problem.

From what I've read in this and other threads, making a change -- any change! -- in the account's email settings can sometimes succeed in solving the problem. But sometimes not.

This is what I've done, so far:
* Deleted the account and re-created it with all default settings.
* Turned on and off various settings
* Turned on "retrieve messages and attachments"

But, still, all messages in the Inbox and Sent folder are gone when I leave and re-enter the Mail application.

I have decided to not use the mail app mainly due to problems. I like using IMAP so I would know that my inbox folder is in sync with any email client I use. The problem is, it behaves as POP and stores a local copy of previously retrieved emails and never syncs them again during send and receive. It basically defeats the purpose of using IMAP.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Newport Beach, CA
Looks like the tendency of the 770's Email application when in download headers mode is to mark the e-mails whose headers it has downloades as read, on subsequent re-checks of the account, it does not download "read" emails so they just sit there like your account is empty. Maybe in the next version they'll correct this or remove this "feature"? That or can someone dive into the config files and figure out a workaround?