Posts: 20 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany
Hi!

The only reason for me to buy a n810 would be the transreflective screen.
Since I desperately need 2 SD cards I'm wondering how hard it could be to build a n810 screen into a n800.

Does anyone have some kind of detailed info about the screen of both devices?

Thanks.

I don't think many people know the details yet (at least of the N810, but pdf files for the N800 have been available on the 'net for a while). But at least for PDAs there are several shops that sell replacement LCD screens, and if the market gets big enough I would expect these shops to incorporate the Nokia devices too. For PDAs you could, in some case, indeed interchange screens between different types of PDA. I've also thought the same as you, to get a transflective screen into the N800..

Maybe after a while enough information will surface to deduce if this is feasible or not.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
This is an excellent suggestion. I, too, am disappointed by the 2 x SD slot trade off required for the N810. I am happy for a gps transceiver to be on a keyring, or whatever, in order to keep the sd slots available.

What I would really like to have, even more than the keyboard, is the transflective screen.

It is relatively easy to buy an N800 screen so it will only be a matter of time before N810's are available too.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Genoa, Italy
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
For PDAs you could, in some case, indeed interchange screens between different types of PDA. I've also thought the same as you, to get a transflective screen into the N800..

Maybe after a while enough information will surface to deduce if this is feasible or not.
Is the n810 really better than n800?
Anybody tried to upgrade n800 screen as supposed above?

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Originally Posted by stale View Post
Is the n810 really better than n800?
Anybody tried to upgrade n800 screen as supposed above?
The reason one would want this (and I myself was about to make a new topic) would be that the N810 has a transreflective (daylight-readable-- try that with an N800) screen. You could probably get way better battery life too (no backlight).

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
tessco .com has screens for the n800...for a 100$ .not for the n810...id be willing to bet that the plug is not the same...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by halbamy View Post
Does anyone have some kind of detailed info about the screen of both devices?
This line of thought has been followed previously, and it appears the screens are not interchangeable.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
sjgadsby people love to beat a dead horse

The Following User Says Thank You to joepagiii For This Useful Post:
hahah wish i read this before buying a broken n810 and trying to take the screen out and putting it into my n800... resulting in my n800 breaking.... LOL

FWIW, I upgraded the old fashioned way, sold my N800 and bought the N810. And I LOVE it. It was hard for me to part with the extra cash when the specs are so close on paper. But the sunlight screen + GPS + keyboard is really nice. I mounted it on the bars of my motorcycle and did a GPS test run and could read it in bright Texas sunlight...

The only thing the N800 beats the N810 in is storage capacity.

David