Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Yet another market that Nokia/Maemo dropped the ball on.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/08/10...omment-1402115

Sounds good. Wish there were more details, but it's good to see it's already running Android 2.2 right out of the gate, unlike the Slate. And bigger than the Slate, too, at 7 inches.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Super AMOLED screen... and I might add it to my list o' things I'll look forward to in the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
While I think a 7 inch SAMOLED will be epic, I also think that android and iOS are not at all well suited to tablets. Makes it feel like a giant phone IMO. On the other end of the spectrum, full windows 7 is probably overkill for a tablet.

The sweet spot is right in the middle, where Maem....erhhhmmm Meego could really shine.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Think the tablet is just called Samsung Galaxy tab and Crunchgear got it wrong. The NX100 is an interchangeable lens camera Samsung is releasing which will be revealed at the same show as the Galaxy tab.

What do people think of this size? I am torn as to whether this or something like 9 or 10 inches would be best. 7 inches can be easily carried around whilst 9 inches can't. Plus will be probably easier to use a 7 inch tablet lying down in bed than a 9 inch one. On the other hand browsing, looking at photos and watching videos will be much more enjoyeable on a 9 inch screen.

I think if the prices are sensible enough (not premium overpriced like ipad) I will probably get a 7 inch android tablet to use on the go and lying in bed and a 9/10 inch meego tablet to use at home when not in bed.

So where is the 9 or 10 inch meego tablet then?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
What do people think of this size? I am torn as to whether this or something like 9 or 10 inches would be best.
I find it hard to really guage it without having it in my hands to try out for a few days. Seven inches SOUNDS like a right sweet middle-of-the-road spot. JUST small enough for carrying comfortably and JUST large enough to enjoy as a kind of TV screen or to use as a laptop-style monitor with an external keyboard in a hotel somewhere to do work.

Will have to see. Nice thing is--it's out NEXT MONTH... not some far-gone several months (or longer) away like Nokia's and Intel's next MeeGo offering.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I find it hard to really guage it without having it in my hands to try out for a few days. Seven inches SOUNDS like a right sweet middle-of-the-road spot.
Hahahaha

}:^D~

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
In other news, I'm looking forward to the Samsung Tab. I agree that 7" seems good, but I'd have to try it out to be sure. A smartphone sounds good, but I have little use for one and would rather something more generally useful.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
I think the best solution is a smartphone/mobile computer that can dock into a tablet, net book form factor. Most people don't walk around with 7+ inch tablet during their normal day-to-day activities. I think 4 - 4.5 inches is the max most people consider truly mobile. After that it's a device you have to think whether or not you want to take it.