Notices

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
There is thread devoted to just the setup of GV itself, not TOR the GV plugin. I can't find it at the momement but two threads to gleam additional insight.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...t=google+voice
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...t=google+voice

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Planet Earth for now!
I just noticed something with TOR that hasn't happenend before if I call someone thru TOR when I recieve the call back # it shows the # but not the image for that #,it also plays the custom ringtone that I setup for the #,the funny part is that when I look at the call log the name and number are there. I even merged the call number with that specific contact, so i would see the image with the #. Any ideas?

Is there a way to turn on the GV account but not have it import the google voice contacts? I am rather tired of having to re-merge contacts every other day.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by wakkamis View Post
Is there a way to turn on the GV account but not have it import the google voice contacts? I am rather tired of having to re-merge contacts every other day.
Whoohoo, I actually documented that one: http://wiki.maemo.org/The_One_Ring#Features

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Nice! Thanks!

Thanks for this Great Plugin, I only installed it a day ago for the reason of unlimited free texting & it seems like I havent had any problems yet (Im not really into this calling & call back thing from GV).

So I have a 2 in one question:

I have the advanced settings set to..
Contacts poll periods in hours : -1
Voicemail poll periods in minutes : -1
Texts poll period in minutes: 1
and I have unchecked the use GV contacts, and kept the ignore Dnd checked. I also have the status to available.
Also, through the google voice website itself I unchecked the forward the texts to cell phone option so I dont get a double message (Text & IM) everytime someone sends me a text.

So coming to the question itself..
I know that " -1 " for any of the poll settings kind of disables that feature, BUT,
WILL THE " 1 " MINUTE POLL PERIOD FOR TEXTS KILL MY BATTERY FASTER AND MAKE MY DEVICE RUN SLOWER BECAUSE OF ALL THE PROCESSING GOING ON IN THE BACKGROUND, & WILL THE " -1's " I HAVE FOR THE OTHER POLL SETTINGS COMPENSATE FOR THE ENERGY EXPENDITURE FOR THE " 1 " I HAVE IN TEXTS POLL...?

Thanks again

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by hhnakhli View Post
Thanks for this Great Plugin, I only installed it a day ago for the reason of unlimited free texting & it seems like I havent had any problems yet (Im not really into this calling & call back thing from GV).

So I have a 2 in one question:

I have the advanced settings set to..
Contacts poll periods in hours : -1
Voicemail poll periods in minutes : -1
Texts poll period in minutes: 1
and I have unchecked the use GV contacts, and kept the ignore Dnd checked. I also have the status to available.
Also, through the google voice website itself I unchecked the forward the texts to cell phone option so I dont get a double message (Text & IM) everytime someone sends me a text.

So coming to the question itself..
I know that " -1 " for any of the poll settings kind of disables that feature, BUT,
WILL THE " 1 " MINUTE POLL PERIOD FOR TEXTS KILL MY BATTERY FASTER AND MAKE MY DEVICE RUN SLOWER BECAUSE OF ALL THE PROCESSING GOING ON IN THE BACKGROUND, & WILL THE " -1's " I HAVE FOR THE OTHER POLL SETTINGS COMPENSATE FOR THE ENERGY EXPENDITURE FOR THE " 1 " I HAVE IN TEXTS POLL...?

Thanks again
The 1 minute poll time for texts is probably a bit much, but not because DC/TOR will take up too much processing time or the network traffic is much.
To save battery, the phone software actively tries to put the network stack to sleep. If you keep the timer at 1 minute, it's going to wake up the stack every time.

Unless you expect immense texting, I recommend 15 minutes or more. The lowest I have ever used is 5 minutes.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Wow.

I've never once went any higher than 1 minute polling.

I hope this doesn't make me a female. *lol*

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Wow.

I've never once went any higher than 1 minute polling.

I hope this doesn't make me a female. *lol*
I'd say it means you have friends.

(Forever alone.jpg)

j/k
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
The 1 minute poll time for texts is probably a bit much, but not because DC/TOR will take up too much processing time or the network traffic is much.
To save battery, the phone software actively tries to put the network stack to sleep. If you keep the timer at 1 minute, it's going to wake up the stack every time.

Unless you expect immense texting, I recommend 15 minutes or more. The lowest I have ever used is 5 minutes.
Thanks UVATBC, I actually just upped it to 2 Mins for the text poll time, and it seems to be working flawlessly (as long as there's network coverage of course). Eventhough I dont text toooo much during the day, but when I do Text its usually more than a dozen texts in a very short period, & 5 mins delay wont work with me. I was also thinking of keeping it at 5 or 10 mins,, & when im doing intense texting I switch it down to 1 or 2 mins, but then you bump into the issue of restarting the whole plugin and reconnecting once again, which sometimes takes longer than usual. But 2 mins seems like its good for now..

But I do have this slight question on all this.
How is polling different than syncing or updating that you get in the emails settings.??? isnt it just a matter of connecting to the network (the internet), and going to your account, and then updating your phone content in correspondence to whatever new activity has happened to your online account....?
Or is there a different procedure for each one (Polling Vs. Syncing Vs. Updating)...?

Tags
google voice, maemo 4, maemo 5