Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
I deleted first using the GUI (long tap & delete) and the files still persisted in usr/share. Then I deleted using the command line since normal uninstallation didn't work.
Shouldn't these kind of issues be catched by Jolla Harbour QA? (assuming it happens also in a regular device without developer mode, etc.).

EDIT: to clarify, I'm talking about simple uninstallation case: it should not leave installed useless files behind

Last edited by minimos; 2014-01-08 at 15:57. Reason: added clarification

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
sending usage statistics to home is [...] quite normal application behaviour.
You and I have clearly different ideas of what "quite normal application behaviour" is. IMO, if an application is not primarily network-aware (browser, cloud storage, online map, updating...) then it has no earthly business going on the network. What's more, even for those class of apps, sending any information home is - well, maybe not downright malicious, but definitely naughty.

A flashlight application using the network smells fishier than a fish market.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
If you wonder why people are so upset, just google Flashlight Malware. A flashlight software was found to spy users on Android not long ago. I think it wouldn't have been as bad if your software had been pretty much anything else

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You and I have clearly different ideas of what "quite normal application behaviour" is. IMO, if an application is not primarily network-aware (browser, cloud storage, online map, updating...) then it has no earthly business going on the network. What's more, even for those class of apps, sending any information home is - well, maybe not downright malicious, but definitely naughty.

A flashlight application using the network smells fishier than a fish market.
Sorry but I disagree, every application SHOULD be network-aware nowadays, even a simple flashlight app yes, I am sure if we sit down we can think of a useful add-on feauture that depends on network usage; I am with rainisto on this one, of course the app behavior should have been communicated a priori but otherwise I find nothing fishy and will continue to use the app.

Originally Posted by 243kof View Post
Sorry but I disagree, every application SHOULD be network-aware nowadays, even a simple flashlight app yes, I am sure if we sit down we can think of a useful add-on feauture that depends on network usage;
I'm sure that we could come up with a useful way to use the camera, so, lets enable it in the app.
(;

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by evk View Post
I'm sure that we could come up with a useful way to use the camera, so, lets enable it in the app.
(;
Yes, for example it could use the camera to guess when to turn the flashlight on - like when there is a dark door lock in sight. Of course, this recognition would be too heavy for Jolla's hw, so it would stream this to cloud, where it could learn your habits and recognize your door locks faster

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
harbour qa is good. none of malware/spyware/badware can be approved, relax

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Yes, for example it could use the camera to guess when to turn the flashlight on - like when there is a dark door lock in sight. Of course, this recognition would be too heavy for Jolla's hw, so it would stream this to cloud, where it could learn your habits and recognize your door locks faster
Well, if it is with the user's consent and uses his own private cloud then why not

But who needs camera and network on mobile phones anyway

Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Must be just you. I did read the qml code on what data application sends, and as it doesnt send anything else than usage statistics, I'm still a happy user and havent uninstalled anything. And will continue using his great apps without any problems.

And his statistic function was in very readable QML file so he wasnt trying to hide anything (usually malware would do it in secret and with hidden functions outside QML).
To me it is up to Jolla to keep apps away from the harbour at the OS current state that do anything except their main function.
No need to have a flashlight access the network.
I do understand its developers interest who is using the app when and where but this hurts my personal privacy.
Either I'm informed about it or can opt-in/out.

This is why I've chose Sailfish/Maemo in the first place - to have a superior control over my apps. Instead I could also use Android if I wouldn't care - still there is XPrivacy that takes care of this.

Way to go Jolla/Sailfish, I'll be watching API Security Model thread on together.jolla.com. Hope you don't join the dark side

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RX-51 For This Useful Post:
if people wanna test harbour qa simply right a calculator app, hide some malware in there, and see if it makes it past inspection