Notices

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
oh and i use windows mencoder.

Although I use command line, I've also tested Mewig.
It's GUI based mencoder.
There's a quickstart info page at:
http://mewig.sourceforge.net/modules...showpage&pid=3

And you can download it from:
https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=120333

I suggest installing it to c:\mewig instead of c:\program files\mewig, as for some reason it has problems creating the commandline options for mencoder when the path to the mewig exe contains line breaks.

On a positive note, you can set it to convert entire directories at time, which nicely allows you to e.g. convert one season of a series in one swift stroke.

If you want more control, make prelimenary options for mewig in the gui, and then edit the rest in the bat file it creates.

Oh thanks, konttori, but before MeWIG-settings, bitrates etc:
- generally, the bitrate flowing from the videofile should be a very good measure for the quality of that videofile.
- to compare: 770's (15 fps only, but looks very nice) demo videofile's (IceAge2) size 8 MB, lasting 95 sec, gives only ca 600 kbps bitrate.
- it would be interesting to know what bitrate 770 can handle, which is nowhere (=?) specified. Maybe it just that 1150 kbps, because 770 shows some instabilities with my 1150 kbps mpeg1s.

Sorry, konttori, problems:
- MeWig site has instructions but obviously for an older version
- tried a lot to find working settings by guessing: too little info what are the meanings of various settings
- nothing happens when clicking "encode"
- no .bat/config-file appears
- no (error) messages, except (before MeWig launches) about missing config-file: what to do? (I have ffdshow-codecs installed)

I'm going to keep pushing DVD Catalyst from www.pocketdvc.ca until someone admits they've tried it

I put an example bat here for you. Open the zip. Copy the bat to some folder. Open the bat in notepad and change the mencoder location to your mewig installation location. Then just change the input and output files in the bat, save it and double click on the bat once you're done.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 16-9encoding.zip (340 Bytes, 359 views)

I just thought to make it all easier on you. Here's a zip with two bats. One for 16:9 and one for 4:3. Unzip it to your desktop. Open both in notepad if your mewig installation is not in c:\program files and edit to correct path. Then save the bat, close notepad, take any divx file and dragndrop it to 16:9 or 4:3 bat. It will make a file with same name +.nokia770.avi at the end to the same location your original avi was in.

Should work like a charm.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bats.zip (575 Bytes, 374 views)

Sorry, konttori, but I think that we work on different platforms. I don't understand what are these .bat-files. Do I need them when I use MeWiG with MS-Windows which looks like (and should be for me) a "snap"-converter. I suppose the problem is missing configuration-file MeWiG-config.xlm, which is thus .xlm not .bat.
BTW. does mencode/MeWiG convert .avi's only, I have (now) DVD_mpeg2 home videos only.

.bat is a like a script language for ms windows.

mencoder converts dvd:s as well. You can use mewig to create a bat for you for those purposes, although atleast I had to modify the resulting bat.

Mewig basically makes a bat for you and executes the bat. It's sole purpose is to help you make it without knowing how to make one. Oh, and it also automatically executes the bat.

OK konttori, Windows-MeWiG-GUI is working now .... well, from me the installation and working settings demanded some extra motivation.
It gives from DVD/mpeg2-files nice mpeg4-files in both subformats DivX and XviD when seen on my PC.
But none of them plays in 770!
What could be the crucial MeWiG-setting(s) for playing in 770?