Notices

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Orecchiette is a simple app designed to record audio data on the N900. Both input and output audio streams can be recorded; so, it can be used to take voice notes, or to record audio from an FM radio app. And, it can combine both streams to record a phone call. And, several video input sources are now also supported.

Orecchiette is open-source software, released under the GPL version 2 (or greater). You can find the source code at Github:

https://github.com/jpietrzak8/Orecchiette

EDIT: Orecchiette 0.3.1 .deb file attached to this post. Also, you can retrieve the latest .deb directly from the package page.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: deb orecchiette_0_3_1_armel.deb (109.3 KB, 295 views)

Last edited by Copernicus; 2015-05-19 at 11:20. Reason: Added .deb for version 0.3.1

The Following 58 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Wow coppy one more useful app !

Is it able to record calls automatic? And it would be great if it can add a record butt with pause resume on call ui

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 198 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Louth / Ireland
Where is it

We have .deb !

Last edited by Garrett_PL; 2013-06-08 at 23:24. Reason: .deb in first post

The Following User Says Thank You to Garrett_PL For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Garrett_PL View Post
Where is it
Hmm, it appears that Orecchiette hasn't been made into a package yet. It may take a while; from what I've been reading on the Maemo IRC logs, things have been kind of hectic lately...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Thanks

I'm going to test this the next week.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jellyroll View Post
I'm going to test this the next week.
Great, thanks! However, please do be prepared for bugs; I've only done a minimal amount of testing on the app so far.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I'm still working out the details on how audio actually works. I've currently got SPX, AAC, WAV, and FLAC encoding options set up, and they all seem to be working. I dunno if MP3 will work, there are patent encumbrances on it; but there might be a Nokia MP3 plugin available... Is "OGG" actually an audio encoding? I thought it was video. Let me do some research.

EDIT: Ah, yeah, "OGG" is the mechanism used for packaging audio and video together. (Kind of like Matroska.) There are several open source audio formats; I've already got support for Speex (an encoding format optimized for voice data). There's also Vorbis and Opus, which are higher-end encodings for music. Dunno just how much of a load using those would place on the N900, though.
There is some confussions, as OGG is indeed a container, but containers with vorbis audio inside have .ogg file extension, and are called "ogg" or "OGG" literally everywhere. Anyway, it's brillant codec by Xiph.org (the same organization, who gave us FLAC), and leading format of royalty-free, patent-free audio codecs. Furthermore, from technical point of view, it's a whole eternity better codec than mp3, and despite being "lossy" (as opposed to FLAC), it received so-called "transparent" codec mark - i.e., in plentora of blind tests, people were not able to distinguish it from lossless version of same recording (hit/miss ratio comparable to flipping a coin). All of that, while maintaining awesome ratio of decreasing file size.

Add to this fact, that it have pretty neat implementation for Maemo, and it seems like codec of choice for recording FM Radio, etc Of course, for conversations (call recording), speex (also by xipg.org) sounds even better.
---

Feature request - above obvious auto-recording of calls (SIP and GSM alike), which you're already considering for sure, it would be nice to have a (remembered) advanced configuration for codecs in use. IMO, most feasible way would be a text field, where user would put a string of text containing command-line parameters for codec, just passed transparently to used encoder (in addition to normal things defined by our application, like save path, etc).

This would save a 43456765434566 number of different option fields in GUI for every possible codec, while still keeping benefits of using GUI for generic options. It's worth to add, that this is behaviour used in most FOSS advanced recording/ripping/encoding programs even in desktop world - like Exact Audio Copy. For example, this is my "additional command line parameters" field in EAC, for creating best possible quality/size ratio (keeping being "transparently compressed" .ogg files of my music CDs collection:

Code:
--advanced-encode-option lowpass_frequency=20.0
...which doesn't interfere, but adds too, a Q=6 and tag-related settings from GUI. Would be pretty timefconsuming to completely GUI'dise all advanced parameters for all codecs available in Orecch', and keep them updating as new adv. features are added to encoders.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
There is some confussions, as OGG is indeed a container, but containers with vorbis audio inside have .ogg file extension, and are called "ogg" or "OGG" literally everywhere. Anyway, it's brillant codec by Xiph.org (the same organization, who gave us FLAC), and leading format of royalty-free, patent-free audio codecs.
Well, I'm not ready to start packaging audio data into containers just yet. But I'll go ahead and see if I can add Vorbis to the list of encodings for Orecchiette.

Feature request - above obvious auto-recording of calls (SIP and GSM alike), which you're already considering for sure, it would be nice to have a (remembered) advanced configuration for codecs in use. IMO, most feasible way would be a text field, where user would put a string of text containing command-line parameters for codec, just passed transparently to used encoder (in addition to normal things defined by our application, like save path, etc).
Well, that would make sense, if I were using the command line to construct the GStreamer pipeline. However, by constructing and managing the plugins directly, Orecchiette has much better control over them. (Thus the ease with which it can pause, stop, or otherwise modify running pipelines -- of course, until the autobuilder comes back, you'll just have to trust me on this one.)

And honestly, I figure if a user knows enough about GStreamer plugins to specify a slew of advanced options, they're probably able to construct a custom pipeline for themselves... But in any case, I'll take a look at EAC and see if I can steal any of their ideas.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
My complaint against recaller (other than it sometimes "forgets" to stop recording, which is easily resolved by starting and stopping another call, e.g. to check my remaining credit) is that there is a HUGE disproportion between the volume of my own voice and the other party's. Has this been/can this be addressed in orecchiette?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
My complaint against recaller (other than it sometimes "forgets" to stop recording, which is easily resolved by starting and stopping another call, e.g. to check my remaining credit) is that there is a HUGE disproportion between the volume of my own voice and the other party's. Has this been/can this be addressed in orecchiette?
In fact, it has -- Recaller is using "source.hw0" to record voice data directly from the microphone source. However, after doing some research, I found that there are a number of different "source"s available; I'm currently using "source.voice", a wrapper over the hw0 input which does seem to have the input volume at the same level as the output (which I'm getting from "sink.hw0.monitor"). I haven't done a lot of testing yet (to be honest, I've only recorded one phone call), but it seems to work quite well.

I haven't yet been able to test against a bluetooth headset yet; I'm still using "source.hw1" to retrieve that data, so it'd probably need some work to increase the volume. (Or maybe "source.voice" will automatically switch to hw1?)

Anyway, lots more work to be done on this app.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, pasta, recording