Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...of_the_screen/

Please see this and express your ideas.

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Without having actully trying Fremantle yet, Id definitely jump on board and agree for it to be moved, but I want to actually get to use it before I pass final judgement.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Moving it to bottom right because of the keyboard might not be that strong of an argument, since there already is a keyboard shortcut (ctrl+backspace) to access the task switcher from the keyboard.

Since you're using two hands anyway in that mode, you wouldn't win much here.

But of course the main issue is that would you then move the entire top row down: status area, app. back/close button etc. I perhaps wouldn't think that to be a very good idea.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Moving it to bottom right because of the keyboard might not be that strong of an argument, since there already is a keyboard shortcut (ctrl+backspace) to access the task switcher from the keyboard.

Since you're using two hands anyway in that mode, you wouldn't win much here.

But of course the main issue is that would you then move the entire top row down: status area, app. back/close button etc. I perhaps wouldn't think that to be a very good idea.
Yeah i agree that moving the entire top row would be a bad idea. As i previously commented, the use of keyboard shortcut needs 2 fingers of two different hands while both the hands are holding the n900 which is not really ergonomic. If somehow only the task switches is moved either on the left(similar to previous maemo versions) or to the right lower corner you just need to extend your thumb and press the lower part of the screen.

Of course without using the device i am really not in a very good position to comment on this whole issue.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I'd vote to make it selectable (top or bottom) and reversible (left side or right side) to accomodate left\right hander..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Yeah i agree that moving the entire top row would be a bad idea. As i previously commented, the use of keyboard shortcut needs 2 fingers of two different hands while both the hands are holding the n900 which is not really ergonomic. If somehow only the task switches is moved either on the left(similar to previous maemo versions) or to the right lower corner you just need to extend your thumb and press the lower part of the screen.
Kind of, but any use of the keyboard requires always two hands. i.e. If you are using the keyboard, you are already using fingers on both sides. Pressing them simultaneously is actually fairly trivial.

of course the problem is that not everybody knows of this shortcut... But that's what shortcuts are for: once you know them, then you can save some time by using them, and feel happy and empowered.

Kind of, but any use of the keyboard requires always two hands. i.e. If you are using the keyboard, you are already using fingers on both sides. Pressing them simultaneously is actually fairly trivial.

of course the problem is that not everybody knows of this shortcut... But that's what shortcuts are for: once you know them, then you can save some time by using them, and feel happy and empowered.
Yeah but pressing one button on the lower part of the screen is lot less than pressing two keys on the keyboard simultaneously. Another factor here is that generally when i hold the n810 with my two hands in landscape mode, my left thumb generally occupies the left lower corner of the screen anyway so just moving it a little to press the task switcher is lot easier than extending my thumb all the way to the top or using the keyboard shortcut.

But since you have the device, you would have a better understanding. Just my 1 cent...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
...since there already is a keyboard shortcut (ctrl+backspace) to access the task switcher from the keyboard....
of course the problem is that not everybody knows of this shortcut...
Is there somewhere (online) where these shortcuts can be found?

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
no way, leave it where it is

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I'd vote to make it selectable (top or bottom) and reversible (left side or right side) to accomodate left\right hander..
I'm lacking the technical knowledge, but perhaps you can customize the Maemo 5 UI providing alternative Hildon layouts that the interested users could download and install.

This way you avoid extra settings officially supported (with the extra hassle this bring to UI design and testing) and users willing to depart from the defaults can get what they wish anyway.

As said, I don't know enough about Hildon to tell whether this is technically possible or not. This is how far my Sunday post gets.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: