Hello I have owned my Nokia 800 for three months now. I'm running the 2008 OS. I am looking for a "poor" man's solution for a gps device. I could purchase one of the bluetooth gps devices that are mentioned in the forums for around $50US. But I thought I would look for a poor man's device solution first. Plus I might not always be carrying a separate gps unit with me. I was thinking about two different solutions. One solution using the google mobile maps. On a cell phone it will base your map on the closest cell tower (if your gps is not setup on the phone). This is not very accurate but would still be an interesting thing to setup on the NIT. I only see options on the google mobile for Blackberry, Palm and Windows. The PalmOS version might work with the Palm emulator. I have not tried the emulator plus I have read it will only work on a small portion of your NIT screen. The other solution is to enable the gps in the cell phone. This does not seem like an easy thing to do unless you can find some codes for your individual phone or some supported software package that will enable the use of the gps. My phone (a Samsung u520 - cheapy) does support gps and you can pay a monthly fee to use it from Alltel. I am wondering if I enable it for one month if the software will enable my cell phone gps so that my NIT will be able to use the gps in the cell phone from then on. Maybe it's a one time software deal that allows me to use the gps. I am not very familiar with how they work so this is just my thought. I do plan on purchasing a bt gps someday but I'm not in a rush. If someone has any ideas for me on how to setup a poor man's digital roadmap directional device I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rob

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Probably with a monthly fee you will get a gprs connection. The gps connection is free.

No offence, but you should consider using paragraphs. It's easier to read and to reply..

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I've read elsewhere - no link sadly - that it's not possible to access this positional update info when using a cellphone from the NIT.

The info isn't made available that way, only to apps running on the phone itself that directly access the chips.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Look at HowardForums for your cell phone model. You may already have a GPS receiver in your phone you can use. Lucky guys like me have an N95 with ExtGPS. Well not lucky per se... my N95 cost me $600

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Great White North
I think you've already found the poor man's solution in the $50 BT GPS receiver. That and Maemo mapper and you're set.

Last edited by electrolind; 2008-01-31 at 06:13. Reason: Add my other thought

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
You could try this and save $10 - http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/20...ising-gps-dead - PopSci estimates the cost at $40.

The Following User Says Thank You to baksiidaa For This Useful Post: