Notices

Hi MasterOfGizmo,
Is there any way to use yahoo maps tiles as an wms overlay in your app?
It would be much easier to do the mapping in this way!
In this page you will find the syntax required to import tiles from several web services. It uses http interface, so it wouldn't be complicated to integrate. http://modestmaps.mapstraction.com/t...ingConventions
I couldn't understand how you import satellite images from nasa, as it does some kind of query to know which layers are available.
Well, I hope this feature can be added.
I could give you a hand if you want.

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by nickar View Post
Hi MasterOfGizmo,
Is there any way to use yahoo maps tiles as an wms overlay in your app?
I couldn't understand how you import satellite images from nasa, as it does some kind of query to know which layers are available.
Well, I hope this feature can be added.
I could give you a hand if you want.
The query i do is a standard. Google for "wms" or "web map service" if you are interested.

It sure is possible to hard code support for those yahoo tiles into osm2go. But i don't like that idea for several reasons:

- wms is a standard which works with many servers and yahoo stuff is just that: some proprietary yahoo stuff that only works for yahoo. The next user will then ask for google earth images and whatever

- wms is nice as it can be used to display a nice layer selection as you probably have seen in osm2go

- very important reason: yahoo doesn't cover the area where i live

Adding support for all those tiles formats is basically re-writing parts of maemo-mapper. I don't want to do that.

The solution i personally would like to see is a wms service using those yahoo images. If they are free to use this should be possible. Googling a bit about this topic seems to indicate that someone already did this for JOSM. As long as this server provides a valid capabilities file osm2go should be able to work with it.

Edit: I don't mind adding a patch enabling such a feature to osm2go. So if someone wants to contribute yahoo functionality i'll make sure that it will be included in the official releases.

Last edited by Master of Gizmo; 2008-12-04 at 12:13.

Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
The solution i personally would like to see is a wms service using those yahoo images. If they are free to use this should be possible. Googling a bit about this topic seems to indicate that someone already did this for JOSM. As long as this server provides a valid capabilities file osm2go should be able to work with it.
you are saying that in josm they implemented a wms proxy for tiled umages servers based on http protocol?

the reason i ask you to support yahoo tiles specifically is because its license allows derivated works with CC-by license, so anyone could map for osm legally only with those tiles.

yesterday i downloaded osm2go sources to have a look on this part, and it doesn't look as easy as i thought
could you add more comments on that part of the code so i can try to support tiled servers.

thanks for tthe patience.

you are saying that in josm they implemented a wms proxy for tiled umages servers based on http protocol?
Yes:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index....M/Plugins/YWMS

Perhaps this can be re-used stand-alone.

could you add more comments on that part of the code so i can try to support tiled servers.
It would be easier if you ask specific questions than having me commenting everything in maximum detail.

The issue is fixed in the latest version released today. There have also been major other changes especially in the styling and rendering.

The josm style icons still don't work 100%. This only happens on the n810/n800 and is not a problem in the scratchbox or the desktop PC. So for now the suggestion is not to use the regular JOSM style selectable in the maps menu as some things won't be displayed correctly.

the reason i ask you to support yahoo tiles specifically is because its license allows derivated works with CC-by license, so anyone could map for osm legally only with those tiles.
I have verified this statement and it looks like this is a rather vague license. It's specifically given to JOSM and similar software and it can easily be revoked (and even has been revoked once). The josm guys are expecting yahoo to pull their license if osm2go implements something that doesn't use yahoo the way josm does. Especially a yahoo-to-wms translator is something that might get them in trouble.

So i won't touch yahoo at all ...

I've noticed a bug in osm2go :
- open a gpx track in a project,
- change the project,
- the gpx track is still open but is not well georeferenced in the new project.
I need to clear the track and reload it to align it.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Germany
Two days ago I have been using osm2go for editing openstreetmap directly in the field and have to say, that I'm really impressed. It is somehow much more fun to do small an quick changes directly on the spot than taking them home, transfering the file to the desktop, starting josm...

How do you deal with the physicial side? When not entering data I either hold it in my hand nonetheless or put it in my jacket's pocket. I imagine to have it hanging round the neck would be better. Any smart solutions?

I've been trying to install osm2go on my relatively new N810 (picked it up last weekend), but I keep getting a package dependency error- I don't have the right libssl (0.9.8 required, all I seem to have is 0.9.7) and I can't correct it.

OpenStreetMap is a lot more space-efficient than MaemoMapper (although I do at least have a cellular Internet connection), but there are a few corrections to make just in my neighborhood- actually, it's wrong right next to my workplace. I'm too lazy to upload GPS logs the "Correct" way, and I'd like to use osm2go to try to fix it.

How can I resolve the libssl versioning issue?

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Toronto
and on my N800, I get the message "Application packages missing: libssl0.9.8(>=0.9.8f-5)

So where can I find that?