I think we need to emulate the
Code:
flite -t text
option...

I'm too busy playing with festival to work on flite emulation , but I'll see about it...

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I think we need to emulate the
Code:
flite -t text
option...

I'm too busy playing with festival to work on flite emulation , but I'll see about it...
tried but it did not work, I need to do some more testing, once my GPS will aquire a signal again
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Bummer, there's no Debian packages for American Female. No American Woman either.

I think you should only include the 8k voices in your packages... No point with the big 16k voices.

I'm not sure if (the latter half of) your post is joking; 16kHz voices are much better on the ears, as they can handle frequencies up to about 8 kHz, while 8kHz can only get a maximum of 4 kHz; while that's enough for recognizable speech, and even speaker recognition, it sounds really bad. IMHO.

I'm much better with 16 kHz, but I suppose they can be packaged separately. Just as long as they don't get left out entirely...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
You can make festival say some text (the equivalent of flite -t text command) with the following command:

echo "Hello world" | festival --tts
And I have no idea why they call that voice an "American Male" ... American Cyborg?

EDIT: I wasn't joking about leaving out the 16kHz voices, I was thinking that the design aesthetic of the Tablets is to keep everything small and minimalist, so the 8kHz voices would be fine ($10 says that flite uses 8kHz voices). But 16kHz voices should be available as an option. Options are good. I wish some of the female voices were available for Debian. My tablet shouldn't talk with a male voice; my wife insists that she is the mistress, or "the 6itch"

EDIT2: Penguinbait, I just found a more direct way to get audio to work in Festival, when I was poking around init.scm trying to figure out how to change to a different voice. Turns out there's an (undocumented) Audio_Method called esdaudio, so you only need to add one line to festival.scm:

Code:
(Parameter.set 'Audio_Method 'esdaudio)
EDIT3: Here's a fun page for testing out what the different voices sound like:

http://festvox.org/voicedemos.html

EDIT4: Can anyone find / build a .deb of the slt_arctic_hts (female American) voice? Please?

Last edited by qole; 2008-06-10 at 00:03.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Everything is working, more or less, in the bootable Debian. Johnx's current "beta3" is a real improvement.

That being said, that's not what I want

What I'd like is a nice little Debian chroot .deb so people could run OpenOffice and stuff on their tablets without the nightmare of copying and pasting my second-rate scripts onto their tablet or the hassle of booting into Debian.

EDIT: Here's what I've got so far with getting Flash and Java to run.

What is wrong with the Koffice in KDE358? It r/w on MS word/excel/powerpoint, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...257#post191257. Am I missing something?
Dont get me wrong, I am interest in Debian too, but for the sake of r/w MS word, KDE is suffice (?). And with MS Powerpoint, all I need is to fire up VNC and I am giving lectures via my tablet using powerpoint!

bun

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I have been playing with KDE4, and this is just not ready to be ported to this environment, least not by me with my current tools. So I am ready to get started on some more development. I am wondering where people would like to see me spend some time? I am sure this will open up a can of worms, but I thought I would ask. No promisses on anything.

Do you want to see the KDE3.5.8 v2 turned into a deb?

Do you want me to ports some QT/KDE apps for use with KDE? (qt 3.x based)

Do you want me to fix some issue with current V2?

Should I port another XFCE or other window manager/ desktop environment?

Do you want me to go back to sleep?

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions,

pb
Not sure if you are looking for a project in general, or improving your existing work.

If you want a new challenge:
Get A2DP working like it is transparently part of chinook.

Or

Get hardware 3D drivers working.

Or
Make a fully Hildonized multiplayer (with game browser) game client. Something that will connect to a standard linux server. I haven't run Netrek yet, but that's probably a good example.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
What is wrong with the Koffice in KDE358? It r/w on MS word/excel/powerpoint, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...257#post191257. Am I missing something?
Dont get me wrong, I am interest in Debian too, but for the sake of r/w MS word, KDE is suffice (?). And with MS Powerpoint, all I need is to fire up VNC and I am giving lectures via my tablet using powerpoint!

bun
My tests have shown that koffice is fairly lacking in MS Office compatibility. Abiword does a better job than KWrite.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by qole View Post
My tests have shown that koffice is fairly lacking in MS Office compatibility. Abiword does a better job than KWrite.
In what aspect?
They open/r/w ms.doc, albeit I did not look deep enough. On top of this, I was excited to see KPresenter open/r/w powerpoint.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-06-12 at 19:33.

I haven't used koffice except on a desktop, and that a couple years ago; but at that point, it would open files fine, and save files that Word could open fine, but it differed substantially on interpretation of formatting. The documents rendered much more similar to MSO in OOo.

Oddly enough, there were some problems with kword occasionally writing odt files that OOo couldn't read; not sure whose fault...

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

Tags
clone, deprecated, gparted, kde, kde35, penguinbait