Notices

http://www.freeswitch.org/

They just announced on the 24th that they have it running on the N800.
Download is here:
http://www.freeswitch.org/downloads/n800/

Originally Posted by FreeSWITCH website
FreeSWITCH is an open source telephony platform designed to facilitate the creation of voice and chat driven products scaling from a soft-phone up to a soft-switch. It can be used as a simple switching engine, a media gateway or a media server to host IVR applications using simple scripts or XML to control the callflow.

We support various communication technologies such as SIP, H.323, IAX2 and GoogleTalk making it easy to interface with other open source PBX systems such as sipX, OpenPBX, Bayonne, YATE or Asterisk.

We also support both wide and narrow band codecs making it an ideal solution to bridge legacy devices to the future. The voice channels and the conference bridge module all can operate at 8, 16 or 32 kilohertz and can bridge channels of different rates.

FreeSWITCH runs on several operating systems including Windows, Max OS X, Linux, BSD and Solaris on both 32 and 64 bit platforms.

Our developers are heavily involved in open source and have donated code and other resources to other telephony projects including sipX, Asterisk and OpenPBX.
I'll be trying it out later, but feel free to supply feedback here on your experiences with FreeSWITCH on the N800.
Anyone with an N770 want to see if it works on that one?

Could anybody please post the steps to install this? I am not sure if i should add the webpage to the application installer or use some program to unzip the tgz file..IF so, what program should I dowload first? Thank you very muych

This is in the README on the download page :

untar from / to create /opt/freeswitch
optionally edit files in /opt/freeswitch/conf
run /opt/freeswitch/bin/freeswitch

This means you need :

- the xerm console
- to be root
- to know how to change directories, use the 'tar' command, edit files and run programs from the command line

In other words, it's not a regular Maemo end-user package (yet).

Well I'm sure someone with a better knowledge of Maemo and programming than myself can create a Hildonized front-end softphone for it.
While Gizmo is very nice indeed, I'd like something that can connect to OTHER VoIP services perferrably all at the same time.

Next step is to create proper debs and get them on one of the repositories, we should be working on that soon. Also note that by default, we have a little embedded web server and a web page that you can go to to control it. Somone contributing a proper gui would be great.

MikeJ
www.freeswitch.org

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was thinking..
If FreeSWITCH has a module that can convert from Jingle to SIP, then it would be possible that if that module is ported to the N800, FreeSWITCH would be configured to connect to any SIP service provider and also to Google Talk, and then, the Nokia N800 built-in Gtalk client would be used to call using that SIP service, using FreeSWITCH as a gateway... This would solve the problem that the N800 is lacking a true SIP client. Hope this is still active because it would be very useful if it is able to do this!

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Can FreeSWITCH act in a similar fashion to Truphone for Symbian phones. i.e. permit the routing of phone calls from the N800 via WiFi Broadband SIP VoIP capable router and so be an alternative to Gizmo Project, Skype, etc.

In other words, to allow the N800 to make 'normal' calls – albeit via a SIP VoIP service provider - in the same way as it is used to make Gizmo Project type Internet calls. Also, can this be made a two way process whereby the N800 can receive calls made to my SIP number and the geographic numbers given to me by my VoIP service provider?

Truphone responded to my enquiry to say that they have no plans to support the N800 so I wonder if FreeSWITCH might provide the solution.

Well, I "installed" this.

Running ./freeswitch does not seem to work. Complains about a missing library.

How do you really install and run this? I can't find any docs.

You might notice this is an old thread; you probably need to be running OS2007 or do a lot of work to make this happen. And one of the big gains discussed above is neutralized with the SIP support in OS2008...

Last edited by Benson; 2008-05-21 at 14:28.

I'd like to use it as a voicemail server. The version I installed is only a few days old. Should run on 2008 (according to the file dates on the ftp server anyways).