Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
The mail I just got says every device will now be shipped with android 'cause they can't guarantee any dates for LOS or Ubuntu which are community dependent.
Was confirmed in the IGG comments too

Must continue using my old broken phone and not be tempted by the shiny google tracker... Almost certainly not in batch 1 anyway so maybe by the time it arrives whoever the mystery devs are will be finished.

The Following User Says Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I think it is the right choice they made. They don't need to hang on with the devices and they may have more time after that to concentrate on support for users. The faster they get working devices out of their hands the better. Also they get off the stress of waiting for the LOS or Ubuntu to be ready, get off from storing or shipping the devices. I believe it is a question of mental health for all of them, how this Covid messed up everything for them. It id a miracle what Chen could do, pushing through this all.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
My doorbell just rang!

I will report back when i had time to look at it.

Very first impressions:
- Shock because on the box it says QWERTY Layout, but QWERTZ is inside
- Stock Android indeed

Yesterday they sent instructions to lock the bootloader if I want to have full Google support on the phone. No thanks. Its great that they ship it unlocked. The way it should be.

Of course I eagerly await the release of other OSes for the device!

Edit: if you have any questions regarding the device,
just post them here and I will try to answer.
Attached Images

Last edited by Macros; 2022-08-11 at 09:52.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Congratz! Mine also arrived this morning.
The build quality is awesome imo. Even a bit better than on Proš.

Make sure to backup your persist partition.
It holds the device specific keys so stock android can do advanced auth things. SafetyNet still works. But those auths that check the device keys will not if you loose the original.
Tested for you
I manually flashed the persist image that was delivered in the stock EDL flashing files. To fix the sensors which where altered by sailfish os. That worked. But i should have done this with a persist backup from my device from before the sailfish flash. Since the stock persist does not contain the keys.

Even if you don't plan to use android. It might raise the resale value.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
BTW. The Proš X is now available with very short waiting time. People have bought one now after being told by F(x)tec service they would still be in batch 2 and thus only have 2-3 weeks "delivery".
I'd check with service@fxtec.com but it looks like buying now from the webshop could mean the shortest wait for a prawn ever.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Have you tested cellular and wifi connection? It seeems there is hopefully only a firmware problem but maby has said that at the moment the device is almost useless because the poor connection.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Have you tested cellular and wifi connection? It seeems there is hopefully only a firmware problem but maby has said that at the moment the device is almost useless because the poor connection.
That's highly overplayed or worst case depending on network coverage or coming from a phone with very good reception. I am living in a rural area and did not notice such major problems.
To me it seems the reception is comparable to Proš when i lay both devices side by side and observe a signal strength app.
Its not great, never was on Proš.
And the antennas being covered by hands when in landscape does not help in that aspect.
No idea what can be done in software. What i noticed is both devices switch cell towers very frequently when comparing to a XA2 on same network.

The Following User Says Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Fxtec forum has a lot of complaints and fxtec team has said it is a known issue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
That would be great indeed.
Maybe i just learn the german coverage is better than i thought.

The Following User Says Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
This indeed seems to be a problem. Attached a picture of the FxTec and a Mi 10 Lite (lower midrange std Android phone) side by side and their GPS reception. As you can see the FxTec has significantly worse reception which also resulted in a much worse time till a fix was made in airplane mode. (within a second vs 10s of seconds with near perfect conditions)
FxTec to the Right

For cellular it also seems to be true. Attached an image of the same two phones with SIM Cards in identical networks. The FxTec is slightly worse with -93dBm vs -91dBm, if touched it goes to -99, the other phone is not much impacted by touch. A good old Nokia beats both of them easily in the GSM network.

In urban Areas it should make little difference, but I wouldn't rely on it in the mountains.
Attached Images

Last edited by Macros; 2022-08-13 at 20:40. Reason: Shrank image to fit forum display

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:

Tags
expectations