Active Topics

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland

I tried to boot from mmc.. followed the steps, it seemed to work beautifully, I booted in on mmc. I decided to change the colour scheme to one of the other schemes installed by default, then restarted. Since then, the display has gone on me. I can see the nokia logo, but its all faded and lines are running straight through it from top to bottom. I can see that it is booting up. I removed the mmc and reformatted the unit using nokia's own 2006 release, but the problem is still there.. Help me!!! I broke stuff again

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Hi, it's a well known HW bug, just google for white screen of death and Nokia 770.
The only solution is to replace the LCD.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
You have what is known as the White Screen of Death (WSoD) - it's a hardware design fault which must be repaired by Nokia, or if you're lucky get a replacement from where you bought it.

This issue cannot be fixed without a repair/replacement.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Also it is not directly related to anything you did. When you have such bad apple it happens sooner or later when you reboot the device. How long are you using your device? Most often it happens in first days of usage (perhaps depending on how often you reboot).

BTW igor, can you say if it is caused by bad display or by something else that 'fries' the display? i.e. does new display without this (latent) fault fix the issue completely or can this n770 kill another display with higher probability because the problem is in the board or something.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

I have it less than 2 weeks at this stage. Glad it wasn't something I did, anyway, I have a history of breaking stuff! Rang nokia, they suggested a local shop I can bring it to for inspection.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
I've had the white screen of death a few times, pulled out the battery right away then rebooted. Problem went away.

<fingers crossed!>

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
BTW igor, can you say if it is caused by bad display or by something else that 'fries' the display? i.e. does new display without this (latent) fault fix the issue completely or can this n770 kill another display with higher probability because the problem is in the board or something.
At poweron (iirc especially after an unclean power off) there is a chance that a current too high will flow through the LCD.
I don't know if the fact that it happened once on a certain unit makes it more likely to happen again or, instead if it is completely random.

But it is _not_ related to wearing. It can happen on a brand new device as it can happen on a well seasoned one (I had it after 18 months).

The only way to reduce the risk is to minimise the powercycles.

That's a bit wonky.. now I'm going to be afraid to restart it.. Pah..

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
I've had the white screen of death a few times, pulled out the battery right away then rebooted. Problem went away.

<fingers crossed!>
That wasn't the WSoD then, this is an LCD driver chip failure where one it occurs your DoA. Usually it happens within the first 10 reboots of the device.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by igor View Post
At poweron (iirc especially after an unclean power off) there is a chance that a current too high will flow through the LCD.
I don't know if the fact that it happened once on a certain unit makes it more likely to happen again or, instead if it is completely random.
Thanks for explanation.
Originally Posted by igor View Post
But it is _not_ related to wearing. It can happen on a brand new device as it can happen on a well seasoned one (I had it after 18 months).
The only way to reduce the risk is to minimise the powercycles.
What exactly is powercycle in this context? reboot unix command (i.e. sw_rst boot reason), poweroff + pressing the power key later or removing and reinserting the battery? Or perhaps all of them? I hope at least reboot does not count.

BTW where one could buy the display part? Is the one in N800 compatible? it seem to be supported by n770 linux kernel but is it physically compatible (dimensions, connector, combination with touchscreen,..) and perhaps also supported by bootloader?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post: