Active Topics

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
The device looks great. I've played with one in Singapore recently and I really like it but besides having a larger screen, I'm wondering why you would want that and an N900?

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Orleans, LA, USA
I've got an S5, bought it before I bought the N900. Its not fragile at all. Battery life is pretty amazing, and performance is WAY up there for a pocketable PC (better than my oqo model 02, but not as good as my late sony UX 280p). It runs windows 7 with compositing quite well, though the drivers are still a bit immature for the touchscreen. Only very very recently has anyone been able to create a utility to turn on the SDIO devices (wifi, bluetooth, 3g modem), so I still haven't tried that yet. Nice device, however between the N900 and the S5, I find my N900 more useful.

Took the plunge today and bought an S5 a real pocket pc - as an N800 owner it's perfect for me - for all you N810 folks who need a physical keyboard, techy. conservatives, check out the Viliv N5. For one thing now that EMGD drivers are out it will be a short time until some form of Linux - Meego - will work very nicely with the evil GMA 500. In the mean time I'm happy living on the darkside with Windows 7 and real portable power.

I wish I never purchased the N900 but well I'm human. The screen was always a tad too small for anything but making calls on and watching a few videos. The N800 w/4.2" screen was nearly perfect for reading ebooks, and taking long detailed notes with xournal and what not. It had a wonderful thing called a D-Pad and could easily be paired with a nice BT keyboard so that even keyboard shortcuts to Maemo desktop were available.

IMO the N900 should have been something like the Dell Streak and even more like the Viliv S5 a piece of awesome portability and even though it wasn't I went for it - what a dunce. The Viliv can easily be used with external monitor, keyboard, and mouse for my work needs and so portable that I can take it everywhere my wandering feet go - I'm basically a nomad so that's the kind of hardware I'm looking for. Yay!

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
I am selling mine 32GB 3G version. ~£450

Imperiallight any reason for this? I don't have enough cash for the 3g model however I got a steal for a little more than $400 for the 32gb ssd non-3g. The community is nothing like a mostly open source project like Maemo but well my main occupational interests are not techy enough for me to justify the type of effort I feel I need to put into open source hardware projects, unless they're low budget like Ubuntu, using the N900 as a phone and now of course to tether my N900 to my S5 for 3g access.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
You can use it as a normal phone as well (as long as its always on) and Android can be installed on it as well.

Main reason is I am finding so much evolution in iphone apps e.g pdf readers with annotation, voice dictation etc etc and I can just shake my iphone 4 and it logs into my home computer via RDP for everything else. Also I have a UMID umpc (with keyboard) and my iphone 4 has its own insurance for loss and theft!. The Viliv s5 is a great device though!

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-09-27 at 23:56.