Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I would say Onboard too (I suggested it to edp17 in post #277 but not sure if he tried).
Thanks for the advise.
However, unfortunately I could not try that because I messed up my ubuntu chroot image. First I changed the DPI to something large, then I accidentally set the Window scaling to 2x. Well, that was a bad idea as you stated in one of your previous comments. (I wish would have read that before.)
Finally I could not revert this change and because the whole experience was really slow on Nexus 5 anyway, I deleted that rom where I installed the ubuntu chroot.

Having 4 roms already on my Nexus 5 do not let me much extra space, so i cannot really make a backup of the ext4 file. (In this scenario the extra storage would come handy.)
So, maybe once I can free up some space I will re-try again and let you know the outcome.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by matemana View Post
That is NOT what i want. I did that kind of chroot on nexus 4 about 6 years ago. Although it did not have power to USB port and you needed Y cable for it. That is not usable. I meant chroot on top of SFOS which is much better. Posmarket os on the other hand is real linux without android that's even better. Problem is we can't have video output on these devices YET.
I know this is not what you wanted. I would also prefer a native linux on my phone, but this was the closest I could get where the speed was not an issue.
The same experience (full linux distro in a chroot) on the Nexus 5 is worse (at least for me) because the Nexus 5 way less powerful that the S7.
On the S7 the ubuntu in the chroot was very fast! I didn't feel any lag or whatsoever. Within the chroot I installed/used Window XP with qemu and the speed of the XP was faster than the speed of the ubuntu in chroot in my Nexus 5!
I think this is pretty good if you bear in mind that the qemu emulated a full x86 pc for the XP on my S7. (I have tried too the Limbo PC emulator android app but that speed was way far from what I got with qemu.)
I even installed a Windows 7 on the S7. Well, that was very slow but worked ok-ish. It felt like running Windows 98 on a 486-SX.

I understand you fully support PMOS as that is pure linux without any android layer, but until that matures into a rom what I can use with, at least the same compromise how I am currently using SailfishOS, PMOS is not a viable option for me.
However if I can build a usable Sailfish image for my S7 I may remove the multirom on my Nexus 5 and will try PMOS. (If it worked with multirom I would already have installed/tried.)

Originally Posted by matemana View Post
This guys on xda have done amazing job. https://forum.xda-developers.com/goo...b-ram-t3916492

As they say it's faster in both ways RAM and Storage. Also it's crazy mod 3 GB RAM + 64 GB STORAGE on nexus 5. I wish i could do it. I only have done battery mod on nexus 5.
Yeah, this is really crazy! (I am just thinking about the 13 motherboard he destroyed and the countless other chips until he succeeded. )
I am also not sure why the phone became faster after this upgrade as they didn't upgrade the cpu. I understand the phone has got faster components (memory and storage) but I cannot imagine a significant difference without upgrading the cpu + the other components.
We will see how he done that once he posts the steps and instructions.

Originally Posted by edp17 View Post
Yeah, this is really crazy! (I am just thinking about the 13 motherboard he destroyed and the countless other chips until he succeeded. )
I am also not sure why the phone became faster after this upgrade as they didn't upgrade the cpu. I understand the phone has got faster components (memory and storage) but I cannot imagine a significant difference without upgrading the cpu + the other components.
We will see how he done that once he posts the steps and instructions.
I have found my Nexus 5x with 4 GB RAM.
is it possible to install sfos on it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n950 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Thanks for the advise.
However, unfortunately I could not try that because I messed up my ubuntu chroot image. First I changed the DPI to something large, then I accidentally set the Window scaling to 2x. Well, that was a bad idea as you stated in one of your previous comments. (I wish would have read that before.)
Finally I could not revert this change and because the whole experience was really slow on Nexus 5 anyway, I deleted that rom where I installed the ubuntu chroot.

Having 4 roms already on my Nexus 5 do not let me much extra space, so i cannot really make a backup of the ext4 file. (In this scenario the extra storage would come handy.)
So, maybe once I can free up some space I will re-try again and let you know the outcome.
Sad! Perhaps you could have rescued it using the xsettings window though.

For next tries, you could just store the backup on your computer using "sftp://nemo@ip" in the address field of your Linux file manager, or using "scp nemo@ip:/path/to/the/file/on/phone /path/to/the/folder/of/your/choice/on/pc" in terminal.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2020-01-22 at 09:18.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:

For next tries, you could just store the backup on your phone using "sftp://nemo@ip" in the address field of your Linux file manager, or using "scp nemo@ip:/path/to/the/file/on/phone /path/to/the/folder/of/your/choice/on/pc" in terminal.
Yes, and you can also mount your phone into a directory of your PC with sshfs:
Code:
$ sshfs -o idmap=user,allow_other root@192.168.2.15:/ /mnt/n900
Change the user, IP, and /mount dir to your needs.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by n950 View Post
I have found my Nexus 5x with 4 GB RAM.
is it possible to install sfos on it?
You can install this older image or try to build a new one using the current hadk.

This page says the bluetooth and camera do not work on bullhead but if you build a new image, this can be fixed.

(I think it is a similar scenario to my galaxy s7. I have found an old image that I finally could install and try on the device. But that image being old and experimental version doesn't really can be used as a daily driver, so I decided to try building a new image for the s7. I am currently in the process but also started thinking about replacing it with a Xperia XA2. However in that case I would ose the fun of porting. )

Originally Posted by ric9K View Post
Yes, and you can also mount your phone into a directory of your PC with sshfs:
Code:
$ sshfs -o idmap=user,allow_other root@192.168.2.15:/ /mnt/n900
Change the user, IP, and /mount dir to your needs.
Thank you!
I like this one and think this is a very useful trick! If the phone is actually part of the PC's file system, that eliminates the need of filezilla or other file transfer as I can simply copy/paste files from and to it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:

For next tries, you could just store the backup on your phone using "sftp://nemo@ip" in the address field of your Linux file manager, or using "scp nemo@ip:/path/to/the/file/on/phone /path/to/the/folder/of/your/choice/on/pc" in terminal.
I know it is sad.
If I mess it up again I will remember to use the xsettings. In this occasion it would be difficult as I didn't have keyboard installed so I was not able to type any commands.

Plus to be honest I didn't want to install this on my daily rom because I have tried some other chroot solutions earlier and all of those attempts were ended up with a messed up rom and I needed to re-install and re-configure everything. Therefore with this one I decided to try this on a separate rom and when I messed up the window scaling AND didn't have keyboard in the ubuntu AND ran out of space AND the speed of the ubuntu was much slower than I expected, I decided to remove the rom including the chroot.

Hopefully soon I can free up some space and will re-try as I want a usable desktop linux on my phone. The best part of using the Nexus 5 and SailfishOS is if something is missing for the ubuntu from the kernel, I can change that in there anytime. All of my other solutions on the S2 and S7 were lack of this option. When something wasn't working in the chroot because of a missing kernel config, I got stuck and could not change.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Thank you!
I like this one and think this is a very useful trick! If the phone is actually part of the PC's file system, that eliminates the need of filezilla or other file transfer as I can simply copy/paste files from and to it.
This should work with the sftp:// protocol too, you'll just see the phone's directories in your file manager. There are differences with sshfs, I'm just not sure about the pros and cons of either protocol.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: