Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by TrueJournals View Post
One of the goals of moving InternetTabletTalk to talk.maemo.org was to avoid community and documentation fragmentation. I think making another forum site would only start to reverse this goal.

Having said that, it's not necessarily a bad idea. One of the goals of talk.maemo.org is to be friendly to "all users." Maybe we need another forum which "rejects" new users, holding discussion only for those who have enough knowledge to actually participate in the conversation. This could be a quicker place to bounce around ideas, and work on code without being "held down" answering questions that have already been asked 20 times before.

In addition, I'd be willing to admin/help admin/mod/whatever if you need the help.

Fan sites like this aren't necessarily a bad thing. I think Aisu's thoughts (posted on your forum) echo mine:
Well, it would be open to all to post. The only way to learn and improve is to see how many *****ic questions you can learn to answer before they are asked.

This said, I see no reason why we can't have some separate internal forums. We can for instance create a forum that only moderators can access.

My goal is though, to provide "end users" a place to come and learn about other things they can do with their tablets. In an organized manner without having to be a forum advanced search and query expert.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
My goal is though, to provide "end users" a place to come and learn about other things they can do with their tablets. In an organized manner without having to be a forum advanced search and query expert.
And how on earth does using stickies, like on every other forum, not solve this?
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
But seriously, is this going to be a real forum or this just a "stick to the man" kind of thing? I just see a bunch of people going off to start their own forum and it just fizzling out in a month. I think it would be worth it to try and change things here. it will take time but the squeaky wheel really does get the oil.

Last edited by verumgero; 2009-05-08 at 13:05. Reason: typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to verumgero For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Oh, noes, another Tablet Scene...
He's not making a new new Tablet Scene he bascly wants anyone who knows anything about the tablet to come to his site and leave only newer people here. Then people would have to surf two forums to get all the information. Talk is a Community Forum, but not every single person in the Community goes what they want. If this starts then someone will want something else from the two sites then it will tear again and we will have 3 forums. No one will find the information they need and no one will get helped.

PB I don't know how many times you have to be told if you want a dark theme is there no problem with it I have even offered to design it as did Bundyo(or someone else but I think it was Bundyo) All that has to be done is figured out what the community wants from a second theme just like the community designed the current theme and how to some extent the community is designing the minimalist theme(except for my themes I take final say on what I do, not that Reggie can't override me after I give it to him but I don't think he will. I do take community input and use almost every idea that I get.) So if your problem is the theme step up get a group together and hash out on either the forums on mailing list what you want for second theme. I will make it for you. BTW this thread is in wrong forum should go under website forum not OS Platform.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TrueJournals View Post
Having said that, it's not necessarily a bad idea. One of the goals of talk.maemo.org is to be friendly to "all users." Maybe we need another forum which "rejects" new users, holding discussion only for those who have enough knowledge to actually participate in the conversation. This could be a quicker place to bounce around ideas, and work on code without being "held down" answering questions that have already been asked 20 times before.
I would like to say that in my experience, it only leads to elitism to have a place that's primarily coders. In my previous open source project the people who asked stupid questions in the beginning ended up being the best contributors to code, etc, and I've seen projects that abused newbies when they even dared to wander into the sacred mailing lists of the coders.

If you're not aware as a coder what problems people have or experiences with your code, you won't be able to write it properly for them. Making people feel welcome is essential to the survival of a project - people will contribute their day and nights to help the project if they feel valued.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
"A hacker forum would be amazing. Real, unfettered, and simple communication between real developers with no bureaucrats or demagogues in the way. Awesome."

isn't that what ITT was, as well as being for novices and everyone inbetween?

We can for instance create a forum that only moderators can access.
and there it goes, in those weird internet forum cliches - would the mods be a bit like a 'council'?

again, what ITT used to be. and i'm kind of guessing, what most people want back (with the theme issue as a kind of rallying point).

The Following User Says Thank You to flareup For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by flareup View Post
"A hacker forum would be amazing. Real, unfettered, and simple communication between real developers with no bureaucrats or demagogues in the way. Awesome."

isn't that what ITT was, as well as being for novices and everyone inbetween?

and there it goes, in those weird internet forum cliches - would the mods be a bit like a 'council'?

again, what ITT used to be. and i'm kind of guessing, what most people want back (with the theme issue as a kind of rallying point).
I'm curious as to why some people insist that this has changed... Really, the only "modding" we do here has to do with removing spam. If you think we are missing some subfora here or there, please ask for something. If you think something's needs improvement tell us.

This site -- the whole site, not just Talk -- is yours. (More yours now than ever before, in fact.) No one is here to change that.

I'm not talking about forum styling or color choices here. Those are subjective requests that are still under debate (nothing happens in a day and sometimes they really do need a lot of discussion -- especially if the requests are made only minutes after something changes).

All that said, a lot of the "changes" you have seen around here have already been put through much deliberation and debate (before and after the changes were or weren't made). So, be prepared to give a good, justifiable reason for your request or complaint. Likewise, be prepared for someone to point you to where the issue may have already been discussed (if, in fact, it was). Even so, this doesn't mean that the issue is closed. It just means that you might have to defend the reasons for bringing it back up.

Tim

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
This said, I see no reason why we can't have some separate internal forums. We can for instance create a forum that only moderators can access...
I'm sure a "hacker" would like that but it really isn't a good idea.

Separate forum and separate addy is the way to go if there is a mods forum.

The same could be said about any other user proposed forum, a VB license and a server is all that is needed.

Things have changed here pb... some changes may be for the worst, some may be for the better. It may in fact be that more has changed for the better and overall that's a good thing... but still things have changed none the less.

The major change as I see it has been from a device centric forum (internet Tablets) to an OS centric one (maemo.org)...

I'm thinkin' that any further change requests that are contrary to that major change would be an uphill battle with the winds against you.

Personally I was pleasantly surprised that you were offered your own sticky in the "Alternatives" sub-forum. A sticky is usually considered a prestigious spot on other forums.

My advice would be to take advantage of that offer and use the numbers (views/responses) to support your proposal(s).

FWIW... Reading your posts has always been enjoyable, informative and at times entertaining. Seeing them on this board has helped me through some of the most challenging times that I have had with my N800.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-05-08 at 13:59. Reason: Speeling

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Before ITt was administered by Reggie, basically alone.

Now tmo is administered by Reggie, and he is getting some help from others.

What is exactly the thing that you could do before and can't do now?

What is stopping you from proposing yourself as moderator and put all the work you wish on the Alternatives forum?

What is stopping you from doing the homework and get admin rights of tmo one day? If you really need them, that's another point. You definitely don't need to be admin to push templates and forum reorgs. Just Do It works well enough.

Your move shows that, ironically, nowadays it is actually easier to create a brand new forum than to write down an informative and useful sticky thread.

That's for the short term, but the long run?

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by flareup View Post
Uhm, okay - so, where exactly did it happen that iTT stopped being a hacker forum?

I see active discussions on community OS, Easy Debian, Ubuntu on N8x0, Enlightment experiments, Android, VGBA, excellent discussions on Fremantle, problems, speculations, UI discussions, USB2VGA (which people used on the summit), fully uncensored in any way discussions on competitors, new and exciting tablet applications that gets immediate exposure by just being posted on Talk and the list gets bigger

How is this not a hacker community? All sorts of different angles, abilities (coding, graphics, audio, wallpapers, friendly people supporting others not so knowledged, etc), views, locations - I'm honored to even be able to tap into part of this huge resource that Talk is with the Mer project.

I don't see where things changed, other than a frigging theme. Yes, it's (talk) .maemo.org, but honestly, the organization and work by maemo.org to try and organize the community is worthwhile. Honestly, wouldn't you rather be part of a community that is able to push huge efforts through because of it being organized than only small fringe efforts? (small fringe efforts are still good, of course - but it's more fun to be able to do small -and- big things.)

The community is maturing and as with any puberty, it doesn't happen without arguments. If you're against the people in the maemo.org council, vote your own people in and/or participate in the very simple process of maemo.org tasks and the discussions. Isn't this how democracy in a community is supposed to work?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post: