Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Stephen looks like a tool, I donīt understand the Finnish guy when he talks sometimes and the crowd doesnīt seem too interested. Oh and stock went down when this thing came onto the internet.

Great Stephen!

The Following User Says Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Verythrax View Post
What bothers me the most is that the WP7 will have a better hardware, because of the mandatory chipset from the WP7 spec sheet.

That will be the final nail in the coffin, as everybody will read the specs and assume that the WP7 phone is superior. Nokia even bothered to put a dedicated camera button on that
DOnt be so negative Maemo doesnt need better hardware atleast not CPU/GPU cause its runs smooth on older HW but WP need more cause it sucks and is not optimized

Originally Posted by ankurs View Post
if you watch the video closely, he says the UI will be reused .... aka will see wp7 with n9 UI sometime in future
Ofcourse Microsoft has not invented anything themselfs they always copy :@

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by vivmak View Post
British Airways flights details ???????????? give me a break, was he presenting to school kids, everyone knows you can program it for any Linux device and for Nokia specifically I cant see a reason why it cant be done in Qt.
Nobody said it couldn't be done in Qt. In fact, it might have been done in Qt.

The problem I have... if it's so easy, why wasn't it done on the N900 that supports Qt?

N9 Meego version looked far better, I am confused at the windows screen, there is a flickering and animated xbox...
I can answer this one... once you create an XBOX avatar, it's animated. The top right of that video was the People live tile, that populates with pictures of people that call you, tweet, e-mail you and will update accordingly.

and part of screen is doing something (i think playing video ) in the middle and squares around it, that is a silly layout. HTC does much better job in splitting the screens with currently playing app and showing other buttons.
To be honest, I thought the Metro UI was ultra stupid until I've been forced to use one for the last month now. To be honest, it's not half bad. In fact, it's a lot similar in some ways to the Harmattan UI in the swiping gesture - I swipe left, I'm going from Home screen into Applications. Swipe right, I'm going back to apps. Swipe up to unlock, and in some areas, swipe up for options or to close an app - only one so far.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I doubt that nokia can make big changes to the OS. I'm sure Microsoft want the GUI pretty much intact. But nokia might been allowed to improve the OS as a whole.
They will be allowed this has also Elop said. My guess is WP8 == Meego Harmattan Swipe UI.

Microsoft is a copypaste company always been...

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sydney
I read somewhere (some Nokia engineer) that WP isn't under development for the N9 SOC and is only developed for a specific generation of ARM SoC.
Wouldn't surprise me as I doubt any MS product can run on low powered hardware.

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Except on Windows Phone 7

The Following User Says Thank You to GreatGonzo For This Useful Post:
Calm down guys, they did this for a reason. The similarities between Stingray and the N9 aesthetically is to obviously cut down in production costs ... the same reason why Palm and HP have been throwing that beautiful OS into the same hardware form factor with incremental updates.

I happen to like both actually ... but for a WP7 device I rather opt for a hardware keyboard version as it becomes available ... a N950 chassis with WP7 would be the ideal. The N9 is a one of a kind MeeGo device so I don't have a choice but to take it as it comes.

As for the limited release for the N9, that is what has me worried. Buying it is one thing but having to deal with support across borders is an arduous process not worth repeating. I also hate the idea of soft key's on a 3.9" screen especially when the bottom looks good enough to take touch based buttons ... I guess it still brings down the cost.

I believe this was an intentional leak pressured from MS to take the limelight of the N9. MS although could not possibly delay a product which is not their own when all they are providing is the software ... they can freeze the OS shipments but they can't do that on another line of OS and hardware. Anyone who would get into a contract of that sort is insane, and might as well outright sell the company to MS.

If the phone is ready Nokia will release it, but the main difference between the current release and past Nokia releases is the level of launch readiness that have achieved. The documentation, the optimized OS, the SDK's, the product website, the spec sheet have all been made available. The next is the marketing in attaining launch partners, promotional pricing, packaging, an inventory channel, and the localized ad campaigns if any. This I would assume to be in the span of 2 months before general availability. If the phone isn't released shortly then their is a problem. They crucially need to launch this phone during the 'back to school' seasonal summer shopping.

The Following User Says Thank You to MoJo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
I read somewhere (some Nokia engineer) that WP isn't under development for the N9 SOC and is only developed for a specific generation of ARM SoC.
Wouldn't surprise me as I doubt any MS product can run on low powered hardware.
http://felipec.wordpress.com/2011/06...elop-on-meego/

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
They will be allowed this has also Elop said. My guess is WP8 == Meego Harmattan Swipe UI.

This is exactly what i was thinking. The window 8 demo had the similar swiping through the different multitasking application .

Last edited by Guyver; 2011-06-24 at 02:53.