Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
Awww... the camera in the N800 and N810 isn't entirely useless.

I was born with an appendix. As far as I can tell, it's useless. Unlike my appendix, the N8x0 takes crappy, low-res pictures with some truly bizarre light and color balances. I can't do that with my appendix!

When I had my N800, I used to pop out the camera and play with it on occasion. I might have taken about 4-5 pictures in 3 months with it. As far as I can tell, *nothing* supports the camera yet on the N810, but it looks really pretty under the ambient light sensor!

I am sorry to agree that the camera is absolutly useless, as the cameras in all but the best mobile phones. It's just a way for the brands to increase the apparent value for money without increasing production costs.
If the quality was even close to usable, the camera would be a nice addition, but that would cost money. That is why even the cheapest phones have a camera - people wouldn't buy them if they didn't have one because they would cost the same, but nobody ever uses the camera.
It does not add to the cost, so we shouldn't complain, but it actually makes the device (N800) bigger.
Anyway, wasn't this talk about the FM radio?
Any news regarding that?

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Nantes (France)
Originally Posted by Schprlock View Post
I am sorry to agree that the camera is absolutly useless, as the cameras in all but the best mobile phones. It's just a way for the brands to increase the apparent value for money without increasing production costs.
BTW am I wrong or the facility to save a video with OS2007 has disappear?! I'm using Camera vers. 2.9 and I don't have anymore the icon for the video, only the one for saving pictures Do you all have the same?

Anyway, wasn't this talk about the FM radio?
Any news regarding that?
Yes, any news regarding the FM Radio application on OS2008? Could anyone running ITOS2008 try to install the .deb working for OS2007?
TIA.
http://blog.lmartin.fr

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by BruceL View Post
There are several uses for the camera.

--> Replacing the crappy camera in my phone with one that saves to a useful folder instead of to my phone.
--> Video calls.
--> Encouraging Nokia to add a better camera later (optical zoom or hi-res digital zoom)
--> Recording videos.
--> The possibility of the N800 being used as a scanner someday.
--> There is software for motion detection and use as a video monitor
--> Geeks can try to impress girls (It's small and look, a built in camera pops up!)
--> Be creative and a little patient; more uses will come.
--> I think Karel is working on a way to connect it to a database or note-taking program!
- What video calls do you make?
- The database-with-pictures: I so wish I could program, because that would be the first thing I'd make for the N800.

All the other things you mention are actually wish lists, and if wish lists could make something less useless, terms like "vapourware" would not exist.

I do like how you manage to get a positive spin on this thing, but I've been saying since the days of the 770 that the Internet Tablets don't need a crappy camera, and that there's not enough room for a decent one. I guess that, by adding one to the N8X0, Nokia proved me right.

Now, if they had made more than a token effort to get acceptable video call functionality in the tablet as well, I might be more lenient towards them. But Nokia dumped a camera in the tablet, and then did nothing anymore. That sucks and is actually quite offensive to your user base.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Now, if they had made more than a token effort to get acceptable video call functionality in the tablet as well, I might be more lenient towards them. But Nokia dumped a camera in the tablet, and then did nothing anymore. That sucks and is actually quite offensive to your user base.
Hopefully future software uses some type of a filter to mitigate the grain and colour issues that the N8xx camera's are plagued with. Not an ideal solution, but certainly better than having to put up with low-quality output. Maybe a single shared library update will solve this problem.

Can anyone supply 'ldd' output on software that uses the camera? It is an open platform and if the problem is indeed seeded in a shared library, perhaps this can (relatively) easily patched.

Oh, and Karel, I apologize for my personal remarks towards you. It was in bad taste, I regret having done it, and I value your opinions and conversation.

}:^)~
YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Hopefully future software uses some type of a filter to mitigate the grain and colour issues that the N8xx camera's are plagued with. Not an ideal solution, but certainly better than having to put up with low-quality output. Maybe a single shared library update will solve this problem.

Can anyone supply 'ldd' output on software that uses the camera? It is an open platform and if the problem is indeed seeded in a shared library, perhaps this can (relatively) easily patched.

Oh, and Karel, I apologize for my personal remarks towards you. It was in bad taste, I regret having done it, and I value your opinions and conversation.
You don't have to apologize if I wasn't offended. I don't *****foot around on forums myself and I've always gone by the premiss that I should be able to take what I diss out myself.

But thanks, mate.

Okay, look here, moderator. P-U-S-S-Y is a perfectly normal word, without any sexual meaning whatsoever in this expression. Get your filters together, goddammit!!!

And, interestingly, "goddammit" doesn't get censored. I'm getting f**king tired of having to comply to someone else's ethics whenever I compose a message.

If you're going to filter out sexually-tinted words, you'd better filter out the religeous ones as well, or don't filter at all.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Oh, and BTW, you're not big enough to pull a Texrat on me, buddy.
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
I can think of SO many things that might mean... and none of them good...

SO, just how big *are* you?

Anyway, schoolboy humour aside, I think that the camera has - as it stands - limited utility. However, there is potential for it to be a lot more useful, all it needs is someone with the talent (not me) to code it.

I'm on the N800, not N810 and I do use the camera on occasion for "scanning" documents. The pictures then go into the same folder as my meeting notes so I can remind myself what they looked like. Admittedly the documents aren't readable, but the titles usually are, and that's enough to jog my memory.