Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
I have been on an internet forum, that used to have this thing called "smartness system". Basically it was a system that replaced the traditional post count with number that increased by one for every correctly spelled post. A negative amount of smartness was given for every spelling error made. There was also a "lost smartness" view that listed every single post that you had lost smartness in. Smartness points could have been redeemed by editing the post to correct the spelling errors.

What would it do:

1. Encourage use of proper spelling and grammar by removing smartness points for every common spelling errors "theres, cant, im", AOLisms "OMG, WTF, teh", TYPING IN ALL CAPS, excessive punctuation "!!!!!!??????......." and so on.
2. You won't lose smarness for quoting people spelling wrong, using code tags to paste text, spelling words that are not in dictionary, saying usernames.
3. Help users not comfortable with English language to learn from their mistakes.
4. Improve forum readability greatly.
5. Stop people posting new threads if -2000 or so karma.

Here's a mockup of smartness system in action:

I know this might sound draconian, but it would really help to community by encouraging to use correct spelling and punctuation. Also the implementation would have to be coded, and it won't be that simple. So I'd hope there would be someone up to the task.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Good grammar and N900 keyboard Hmmm.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Interesting. I'm really attracted to expert systems like this because they can remove a burden off of moderators and help improve signal-to-noise, contribution value, etc. I wonder if this or something similar could/should be added here...

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I agree.

Keyboard or no keyboard, the post is either right or not. If you want to come across as an intelligent, rational person, you spell (best you can). The only thing that the N900 does is slow you down, not keep you from spelling. (Is it me or the worst spelling and grammar come from native speakers?).

Also, I feel there's a big difference between -say- LOL and TIA or HTH. One is superfluous, the other is shorthand for a widespread phrase. The reason acronyms exist is exactly that: save time. Like RTFM. :)

OP: Don't fear the draconian, you'll always have at least one supporter :)

This is, however, a support forum and a warm community and frankly saying "helo" for the first time and being modded -500 idiot for misspelling is a bit harsh.

Maybe this system could be started light (no penalty under 50 posts, 10% for 50-100, etc), forcing the (already eloquent and smart - right? don't strike me) elders that help a lot and carry he brunt of the posts to keep a high level of quality.

I volunteer :)

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ germany
People who feed the trolls also increase noise/content ratio. <-- not sure if that's what you meant with readibility

Regarding grammar, keep in mind that some users are non native english people.

Last edited by patator; 2010-01-21 at 20:22.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Save for Texrat, nobody who posted here is from US or UK. We won't forget ...

ETA: Actually, English is my third language.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Maybe this system could be started light (no penalty under 50 posts, 10% for 50-100, etc), forcing the (already eloquent and smart - right? don't strike me) elders that help a lot and carry he brunt of the posts to keep a high level of quality.
I do actually like this idea.. but I have to think if it'll actually help much. I mean, usually, by the time you get to the high number of posts you're accustomed to this board and probably have learned to present yourself decently.

I'm just trying to think and I can't pull any names of people that have a high number of posts that still talk like:
Hai! Mai neme is ShuperDewd an teh iFone is da shnizzle!
Usually those kind of people are pretty ignored and forgotten rather quickly .

Well, I guess if we implement grammar into this smart system... boy that could kill a few of us (I like my 3 dot separators damnit!!! You can't have them!!! )
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by patator View Post
Regarding grammar, keep in mind that some users are non native english people.
Very true and worth considering. Maybe a "softer" or otherwise-focused version would make sense.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
I have been on an internet forum, that used to have this thing called "smartness system". Basically it was a system that replaced the traditional post count with number that increased by one for every correctly spelled post.
There should be a law requiring EVERY forum on the internet to have this kind of system. Preferably with "punch in the face over tcp/ip" for the most ******ed offenders.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I absolutely hate myself for doing this, ndi, but you set yourself up. Your post advocating the use of a grammar and spelling penalty is grammatically horrible. However, it illustrates beautifully the fact that conveying your point eloquently and, intelligently is not determined by the actual grammar. (And I hate myself for correcting it because I know I don't speak a word of your native language)

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
I agree.

Keyboard or no keyboard, the post is either right or not. If you want to come across as an intelligent, rational person, you spell correctly (the best you can). The only thing that the N900 does is slow you down, not keep you from spelling. (Is it me or does the worst spelling and grammar come from native speakers?).

Also, I feel there's a big difference between -say- LOL and TIA or HTH. One is superfluous, the other is shorthand for a widespread phrase. The reason acronyms exist is exactly that: to save time. Like RTFM.

OP: Don't fear the draconian, you'll always have at least one supporter

This is, however, a support forum and a warm community and frankly saying "helo" for the first time and being modded -500 idiot for misspelling is a bit harsh.

Maybe this system could be started lightly (no penalty under 50 posts, 10% for 50-100, etc), forcing the (already eloquent and smart - right? don't strike me) elders that help a lot and carry he brunt of the posts to keep a high level of quality.

I volunteer
What we are seeking to reduce is not spelling, typing or grammatical errors, such as might be found in the writing of someone using a foreign language or a tiny, fiddly keyboard. What you are asking to be rid of is lazy writing that substitutes 'U' for 'you' and uses the sort of language reduction that was designed for use in a system that restricted you to 140 characters and had to be entered on an alpha-numeric keyboard. Unless one is writing here on such a keyboard, it's unnecessary.

I doubt you could create a system that would select out that sorts of post. But I would be opposed to anything which penalised people using a second language, an n900 keyboard or, like me, with eyesight issues peering at their screen.

(and before anyone looks - my typing is such I am certain there's a typo in this somewhere )

(*Hugs ndi and hopes no insult is taken*)

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:

Tags
back to school vs, back to the woods, community, expert system, grammar, improvement, lol, me talk pretty one day, spelling