Notices

So I recently got my N810 and I'm loving it. One of the things that's been bothering me though is that I couldn't customize anything on Hildon's lock code dialog. While having a lock achieves the goal of deterring theft/misuse, it doesn't do much in the way of helping you get it back if lost or stolen.

I'm not sure if this has been addressed before, but my solution was a quick and dirty hack of the lock dialog. In case anyone else is interested, I've attached the patch (just a short couple of lines) and compiled package of libhildon1 which adds user-defined text to the dialog. As it is, it just reads the contents of whatever you place in /etc/owner_text.txt. If this file doesn't exist then you get the login box as usual.

I've attached a photo for reference (I know it's awfully blurry, but that's what you get with a camera phone). Here I've just done something of the form
Code:
echo -n 'Property of Foo Bar:
234-567-8910' > /etc/owner_text.txt
I've only compiled and tested this for the N810, so no promises for any other device/OS.

PS. If you decide to give it a shot, you'll have to restart after installing the package. Also, watch out for extra newlines at the end of /etc/owner_text.txt; some text editors will add one without telling you.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: deb libhildon1_2.0.6-1_armel.deb (143.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: deb libhildon1-dbg_2.0.6-1_armel.deb (367.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: txt owner_text_diff.txt (1.4 KB, 118 views)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to melknin For This Useful Post: