Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Hmm, maybe I could add a hold the status bar applet to hide the UI sort of thing?
Why not hide the GUI automatically, e.g. on focus_lost or on successful mount, or have a button in the GUI "Stop Hostmode" and simply close the GUI without ending hostmode on "[X]"?
when hitting "Safely Remove" in status menu, you want to open GUI anyway, as you might not have planned to remove *all* USB devices plugged to a hub. Also You might not want to end hostmode on "safely remove".

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Or even better, give the user a choice?

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
please, if anybody interested in contributing to the mount function development:
http://maemo.gitorious.org/maemo-af/...ost-states.png

http://maemo.gitorious.org/maemo-af/...ents.c#line885

http://maemo.gitorious.org/maemo-af/...hulda.c#line90

also please see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=89, maybe ke-recv isn't exactly the way to go

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2010-12-02 at 15:25.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
hi all,

I tried a direct adaptor for H-E-N and stressed my usb port.

If the n900 still works normaly in mass storage modus, did it survived my fault?
What's the different between a female to female adaptor or otherwise a micro-USB to female direct connector?

Thanks for support me
jackspost

Originally Posted by jackspost View Post
hi all,

I tried a direct adaptor for H-E-N and stressed my usb port.

If the n900 still works normaly in mass storage modus, did it survived my fault?
What's the different between a female to female adaptor or otherwise a micro-USB to female direct connector?

Thanks for support me
jackspost
if the port works in mass storage mode and also does correct charging, then it's electrically OK. Nevertheless it might have come mechanically loose, which is a sure path to complete failure. You should check the metal frame of the receptacle, push and pull it with you fingernail or a pinpoint piece of plastic, and watch the gap from metal to plastic of case. There shall be absolutely no movement, means the gap must not change when pushing. I assume you don't apply excess force when pushing with your nails :-D
If it became loose, you can get it fixed for little money in any repair shop, as long as it's not yet completely broken. Plugging any adapter or plug another time may cause that complete break though, as the electrical contacts of the receptacle aren't designed to take that force when the mechanical support posts got loose.

The difference between direct adapter and a cable with F-F-adapter is mere mechanical.

HTH
/j

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Greetings:

First of all, Thank you, Joerg, Paul, Mohammed, and the rest of the H.E.N team for your work. We all stand on the shoulders of giants, but some are taller than others.

If you ever setup a donation box, you can count on mine.

Second: I only just read your advice concerning single-piece Male to female fullsize adapters. I have been using one of them.

I IMAGINE that the problem is eliminated if the USB device to be used with the N900 is plugged into the adapter BEFORE the adapter is plugged into the N900? Or does the stress you refer to remain? I got the idea that said stress was the one derived from plugging the device into the adapter while the latter was plugged into the N900, therefore adding that force to the overall component.

Please let me know if this is so and if that simple precaution I have been taking obviates the problem or not.

Again, MANY thanks.

Originally Posted by raphseraph View Post
Greetings:
[...]
Second: I only just read your advice concerning single-piece Male to female fullsize adapters. I have been using one of them.

I IMAGINE that the problem is eliminated if the USB device to be used with the N900 is plugged into the adapter BEFORE the adapter is plugged into the N900?
[...]
Please let me know if this is so and if that simple precaution I have been taking obviates the problem or not.

Again, MANY thanks.
Well, yes and no. Yes, the risk is at max when trying to plug in something to the fullsize A-F receptacle of such a rigid adapter. And no, the risk isn't gone even when you take care about former issue - the rigid adapter plus memstick/whatever forms an enormous lever that can easily break off the micro USB receptacle of N900, on applying any random small force to the whole object. The lever quotient easily can be > 100/1, so e.g a 20g memstick will create a 2kg force to the USB receptacle solderposts (yes I know kg isn't a force unit, so replace that by kp)

I'd rethink using such a thing

cheers
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2010-12-01 at 09:57.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
MAybe this has allready been duiscussed and i missed it but is there a way to fix the mouse pointer in the n900 web browser? thats one of the things i would use it for the most, and is not working at the moment.

It also would be awsoe to let H-E-N listen to the USB port and mount devices and storages on the go without launching a program... so when you install a mouse it instantly shows mouse without first mounting it. or is this not possible?

LOL why am i asking.... nowadays everything is possible on the n900.

The H-E-N program is also far from stable. It sometimes take 10 times, before a device is properly mounted. its like the buttons are not working.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
A mice doesn't have to be mounted, it isn't a storage device.
"Listening" to the USB port will probably require VBUS running all the time, thus wasting battery life.
The mouse issue is not a h-e-n issue, it doesn't belong here
A daemon could be made that listens to h-e-n's DBus signals and checks if a mouse is enumerated, but again, this isn't h-e-n's job.
The program itself is stable for what it does.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
And the daemon is already here, it is called hald :P .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, detection, h-e-n, hostmode, speed, usb host