Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Well, X series fading out would only have had negative implication if the sony thing was planned to be some kind of break through attempt.
In that case they would have put much energy into a dead horse because the target audience needed for such endevour would yawn about outdated HW again and move on. correct?

But as Sony is a step stone on the way to juicey (paying) customers, it is a good thing that the device will fall in price soon so we as community can also profit by having the most fleshed out sfos device for rather cheap.

I do not think we (as end customers) are even primarily targeted by this device.
Making the community happy is a welcome by-product at this point.
Looks like the main plan is to finally show sfos on decent hardware because it is one thing to tell a client "Sure, it will behave much better on your high spec device than on this Aquafish i can show you here" than to actually demonstrate what you can do or already did.

And i can see another positive incentive.
As James wrote during meeting, it might raise Jollas interest to target even newer Sony modells.
Then...why should we support it?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
You mean Jolla?
Well i still think they are my best chance to have usable linux on recent HW in my pocket without tinkering too much for myself and i have hope either they will refocus on endusers in the far future if circumstances allow, or that they find a nice customer that is doing consumer devices with sfos and professional support.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
You mean Jolla?
Well i still think they are my best chance to have usable linux on recent HW in my pocket without tinkering too much for myself and i have hope either they will refocus on endusers in the far future if circumstances allow, or that they find a nice customer that is doing consumer devices with sfos and professional support.
No, not jolla. This port. Why should we support a port that Isnt meant for us. It wont turn out well.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2017 @ Enumclaw, WA USA
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Don't you think jolla need to get their things in order before going after latest hw? I do.
While I don't need maximum functionality of the newest internal components, I would very much like to have the Gorilla Glass 5 and IP68 of the more recent models. I see that Xperia XZs is one of the phones for which Sony provides access to source code at https://developer.sonymobile.com/ope...and-resources/ If Jolla could give that phone the same level of functionality as is available on my n900, I would finally upgrade to a new phone.

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
No, not jolla. This port. Why should we support a port that Isnt meant for us. It wont turn out well.
So what are the points in which it could not turn out well?
In Junes Jolla communique regarding sony i hope to have confirmed the following.
Most important sure is that Jolla treats the port like any other of the original devices. That is suggested by them calling it a community device which implies same procedure as with Jolla C.

Hardware support should still be offered by sony for obvious reasons.

Official release of the image at some time to help yourself if the device breaks while out of warranty time and simply flash a new (used) one and solve possibly limited amount of preflashed Xperias to be offered by jolla.

What (apart from the refund option) would you expect from this port / community device to make you feel good.

The Following User Says Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
For my own part its the refund, putting that issue aside I feel and you also said it, it's not for us as enduserz. But a glorified port for show rooms.
This means it could have bad behavior, lack of functionality or worse in some areas.

A device included would make me feel good, because that comes with certain obligations, to see a fully implement port without hacks would be nice. But what I would like is a plan for this port for the future. And I'm not talking,"the goal is to make it available for all Sony Xperia" will it have it own team, updates how long will this be officially supported, how much division from core OS is done/will have to be done"

What I mean it won't turn out well is that it could lack things from start and jolla might not care/have time to fix it for enduser perfection/excpectation a month after release jolla will change direction and ignore it like the tablet project.

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-06-04 at 07:19.

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
because that's the only way to get sailfish on something that isn't rock bottom POS from some "never heard of" company.
And unlike all other ports, I hope that everything will work on this one and that (in case of flash it on your own) I wont have to flash 234 specific version of some ROM just to flash sailfish on top. I hope that this will be jolla with better HW, with SONY logo and in an not so nice body.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 218 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ India
That is suggested by them calling it a community device which implies same procedure as with Jolla C
If it is a community device, will it not have alien dalvik support for Android apps?

The Following User Says Thank You to meet.vino For This Useful Post:
What makes you think that
All talk during irc meetings implies Sony Xperia X being the next Community Device in Jolla C style with all bells and whistles. Only we are missing official confirmation in a nicely elaborated blog post.

AFAIK only feature in question is sonys special camera sauce.
But it has been said by sailors that camera experience still will be the best off all current sfos devices.
I hope they include community ported devices into this comparison because it is quite easy to excel JP1, Jolla C and tablets cameras

Last edited by mosen; 2017-06-04 at 09:40. Reason: reformulated to make more understandable

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 218 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ India
My assumption comes from a comment that someone called Koiruus made OnePlus forum in response to someone's request for alien dalvik support X in SFOS port for OnePlus X. He said "No alien dalvik in community ports as dalvik is licensed".

The Following User Says Thank You to meet.vino For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x