Notices

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
I prefer shortness over accuracy.
Also "Sehenswürdigkeiten" is not even most accurate to translate POI because it is rooted in a sigthseeing context. There is not much Sightseeing to do at the work places i save as POI mostly
POIs are more general and would need to be something clunky like "Punkte von Interesse" or "gespeicherte Orte/Ziele". So i prefer POI for better readability and propably text flow.

Edit:
If there is something like an introduction or manual, i would write/define "gespeicherte Orte (POI)" once and keep POI for the rest of the apearences in app.
I'd actually quite like the shorthand GOZ for "gespeicherte Orte/Ziele"

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Re: POI in German etc. I do not even know how they are called in my native language The closest I can come up with roughly translates as "interesting points", which is not quite the same thing.

Why not taking an inspiration from how such things are called in commercial products? This is definitely an area where consistency would pay off. Also, the app spells out "Points of interest" in full at least once, in the main settings page.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
First of all HUGE thanks for the POI management. It was a feature badly missing in WhoGo and early versions of Pure. But it may still need some attention. When I selected "Clear map" from the menu this morning, it wiped all my laboriously added POIs. That might be as intended but it was not as expected. I would expect "Clear map" to clear any marks you've made on the map but to keep POIs alone.
For comparison, modRana has both a "clear all" button as well as option to only clear all search results or all POI currently shown on map or all tracklogs.

(Note that even if you clear a POI marker from the map, this does not affect the stored POI in any way, it is just not visible anymore. You need to manually click the delete button and then confirm the action to delete a POI from the local POI database.)

On the other hand, there is currently no support for "persistent" map markers - the map will always be clear once you start modRana. I guess it might make sense to add support for that in the future, at least for stored POI that have been shown on the map (IIRC the old GTK2 GUI did that).

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
(Note that even if you clear a POI marker from the map, this does not affect the stored POI in any way, it is just not visible anymore. You need to manually click the delete button and then confirm the action to delete a POI from the local POI database.)
Yup, that's I imagined "Clear map" would work.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by monkeyisland View Post
Hi there short question, i am working on translation for German.
So all Germans here:
Is "POI" okay , or it is better to translated on "Sehenswürdigkeiten" or similar. .

I am open for hints and suggestions.
The Dutch equivalent of POI, 'NP' or 'nuttige plaats(en)' translates to 'useful place(s)', perhaps you could use a similar translation. It's not exactly the same thing as a 'point of interest', but then, does anyone really care what a 'point of interest' even is?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Een nuttige plaats would mean something 'different' in German!

The German translation could be 'interessanter Punkt' or correctly assumed from Netherlands equivalent 'nützlicher Punkt'.

But I propose to just leave POI.
There are words that are just taken over as is and we are fine with it. E.g. VIP or KO (knockout) as well as Autobahn / Kindergarden.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
...as well as Autobahn / Kindergarden.
Or schadenfreude

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
I would promote "nuttige plaats".
Not for the Dutch translation but for the German, traffic is bad enough so you need sometimes something to smile about.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
I would promote "nuttige plaats".
Not for the Dutch translation but for the German, traffic is bad enough so you need sometimes something to smile about.
Then I vote for "geile Platz" for Dutch

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Even my in car navigation (Opel Astra) calls it POI in the german UI.

A direct translation would be "Punkte von Interesse (PvI)" but I've never heard or seen this

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to balta For This Useful Post: