Posts: 116 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Ok, so this is a classic problem, phone won't start due battery charge too low. People seem to recommend playing with flasher to get some charge to the bat, but here is alternate solution which won't risk your data as much.

You need a lithium ion charger, I had Nitecore i2 for 18650 type batteries and multimeter cables. Just attach cables to charger and hold measuring tips on battery terminals for 10-15 minutes carefully avoiding short circuiting and reverse polarity. I had battery attached on the phone while doing this, take it out if you like to have lower failure risk.

Picture:

Disassembly guide:
http://jollan9story.wordpress.com/20...placement-diy/

The Following User Says Thank You to zimmerit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ Poland
Yeah, I hard-wired N9's battery to my old Nokia C5, no problem with charging at all
But not everyone has either courage or tools to disassemble the N9. Messing with flasher is simply easier and also kind of safer. You're risking your data, not whole phone/battery.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drathvader For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
This looks risky, even you have skills/knowledge. Just a little 'oops' and ...

Using flasher is not risky at all, using:
Code:
flasher -i
which should start the battery charging (just leave USB connected).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
This looks risky, even you have skills/knowledge. Just a little 'oops' and ...

Using flasher is not risky at all, using:
Code:
flasher -i
which should start the battery charging (just leave USB connected).
Unfortunately that does not work
"sudo flasher -i" just reads and displays the device version, it does not start charging the device.
You need to inject the APE kernel to the device to make it start charging, and the easiest way to do that is to push it to the device by "sudo flasher -F main.bin -f" command...

There are alternatives, actually it would not be necessary to initiate flashing, just to push APE in and make it happy to keep up the connection, which by default means the flasher program stays active on the computer.

I actually made a special bootkernel that does the same thing without requiring the aid of flasher by ripping the rootFS out of APE and beating it into the right form

(my intention here is to integrate ithe BME charging logic into ubiboot, but unfortunately I have not had time to complete that yet...)

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
How about flasher -r ? Does that work? I think I've read somewhere that it should.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
How about flasher -r ? Does that work? I think I've read somewhere that it should.
mmh, have not tested that, don't see however how it should work. Option "-r" means "boot a given rootfs image", I'd suppose you need to five some rootfs for it to have any effect...

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Unfortunately that does not work
"sudo flasher -i" just reads and displays the device version, it does not start charging the device.
You need to inject the APE kernel to the device to make it start charging, and the easiest way to do that is to push it to the device by "sudo flasher -F main.bin -f" command...

There are alternatives, actually it would not be necessary to initiate flashing, just to push APE in and make it happy to keep up the connection, which by default means the flasher program stays active on the computer.

I actually made a special bootkernel that does the same thing without requiring the aid of flasher by ripping the rootFS out of APE and beating it into the right form

(my intention here is to integrate ithe BME charging logic into ubiboot, but unfortunately I have not had time to complete that yet...)
ORLY?

I thought I could believe rainisto's words blindly

What about the CTRL-c thing then?

To be continued (by juiceme ) ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

ORLY?
True as Water and holds as a Sieve. [*]

I thought I could believe rainisto's words blindly

What about the CTRL-c thing then?

To be continued (by juiceme ) ...
Usually his words are gospel, yes
However, in this case it is not so, to get the device in charging mode you just have to feed APE to it, there's no other way. And just infoking "flasher -i" does not do that. (and neither does "flasher -b", it has to be a command that starts the actual flashing scheme...)

[*] Old finnish proverb

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
So this states the CTRL-c thingy is also a tale?

impatiently waiting ...

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Streets of Avalon | Zwolle, the Netherlands
I am skilled enough to play with electronics and to deny safety warnings (as a hobbyist you can deny such warnings ), but this seems quite dangerous to try. A short circuit is easily made and you will wreck your beloved phone easy.

The flasher method seems to be the safest. But it's always nice to see some courage like this.

(woops, didnt read the entire topic..)

The Following User Says Thank You to vincr For This Useful Post: