Has anyone tried upgrading Modest to the second public release (2007-51.1)? Both upgrading and clean-installing fails on my N810. Clean-installing actually leaves the package in a broken state.

Installing using apt-get works (becomeroot is needed to gain root accedss). It seems that the Application Installer could not resolve some additioonal dependencies that were not in the original modest release.

Originally Posted by wetcoast View Post
Observed bug(s):

Modest and the default Mail program seem to be arguing over the automatic download of mail setting; despite having set both OFF, one or both of them still does.
I see the same thing with my POP accounts. Both modest and built-in Email are set to NOT automatically check mail but each morning when I check my RSS feeds the LED flashes and I get the beep for new mail!

Did you add a bug for this? I might have to learn how to do it !

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by hircus View Post
Installing using apt-get works (becomeroot is needed to gain root accedss). It seems that the Application Installer could not resolve some additioonal dependencies that were not in the original modest release.
Updated today on N800 beta OS2008 and had no problem. Update went fine, noticed not too much of a difference... the way the emails load seems a little faster, I'm sure other bugs have been fixed.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
That's supposed to be the point of tinymail (the library on which Modest is built): it's fully abstracted through an MVC pattern, so headers are only loaded when physically visible (perhaps with some wider view port to support scrolling).
I finally managed to flash os2008 beta, and modest downloads all headers (unless they think that the wider view port for scrolling should include ~30000 messages )

If it's not doing that it's either a) a bug which needs reporting, b) a design decision to break the point of tinymail or c) I've got the wrong end of the stick. Any are possible ;-)
Well, I don't know which it is, but I filed a bug anyway.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
I just loaded it onto my os2008/n800 and it works fine.

What's weird is modest is still running in the background after I close it, and alerts me when I get new mail, but if I click on the alert icon, it loads up the default mail app.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Normal behavior until Modest is integrated into the firmware.

So there's no way to quit without pulling up a shell? I wondered what was eating my batteries.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
You don't quite understand. Modest is using the same underlying framework as the previous e-mail client. You didn't need to have the e-mail client open to see you had new e-mails. Same thing with modest. It's not actually running.. it's just a small daemon that is checking the e-mails for you.

So no, Modest is not eating your batteries (unless it's at 100% CPU use).

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I have four POP3 accounts, and of those three work fine with Modest. The last account seems to cause Modest trouble when it attempts to retrieve messages. I'm currently trying to determine whether there's a bug/incompatibility in Modest I should report, or if I'm just misconfiguring the settings for this one account in some boneheaded way.

Does Modest write a network log somewhere? If not by default, is there some way of telling it to do so? I've started Modest from the command line, but doing so did not reveal anything useful. I also have the cores Modest dumps when it crashes, but I'm not clever enough to glean useful information from them.

The problem account works fine with Claws-mail, so I know it's not a more general problem of my tablet being unable to reach the POP3 server.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2007-12-20 at 21:54. Reason: Adding an indefinite article

Tags
mail modest