Active Topics

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leipzig/Germany
Well, modest looks really promising, and can handle my IMAP-Folders with >1000 Mails without problem. But there is one (for me) really important Feature missing (or did I just not find it??) : Thread View. Using Mailing-Lists without Thread View is just painfull . So for the Moment I will continue to use claws, but I will keep an eye on the modest developement.

seiichiro0185

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Washington State, USA
I'm just afraid my email accounts have grown to fat to be handled by any tablet email client, with Modest choking on folders with tens of thousands of messages.
UW Alpine works on N800 and handles a 55,000 message mailbox quite well.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Germany
Ok, installed it, set up my google account, which works at first try (thanks for that)
Download of my mails was fast and they were shown correctly.
Even better, modest actualy shoed all subfolders(labels) i had in my gmail account.

Problem now:
Normaly i archive an mail after i read it, so i only have new or realy importand mails in my inbox. How, do i do this with modest?

And, is there way to thread the emails? Its a function i realy miss.

Eismaus

I second the opinion that a threaded view would be great. I'd also like to see a more finger friendly way of switching between the inboxes of different accounts, and would like to suggest that when the far right icon on the toolbar is held and a specific account is selected, that modest switches to that account in the display. Selecting all would not change the displayed account. Does anyone like that idea?

Other than that, it seems to be working fine for me with two secure IMAP accounts, on mac.com and virgin.net, although I've only pulled the top 20 from each, and will not try and access the full history of each account on the device as others seem to need to.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Please, bug reports to https://bugs.maemo.org
Product: Communication
Component: Modest

So Modest will be better.

it looks promising

but it also looks like they have no QA department looking at this before releasing this beta. pity

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Coventry, UK
Excellent all seems to work well but cannot see images in html messages on gmail imap, just a box with red cross.

any ideas?

Anyone know if there is any way to delete emails from the server?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
but it also looks like they have no QA department looking at this before releasing this beta. pity
It's a beta, of course it's going to be rough around the edges. This isn't google the google definition of "beta", either.

Man, it's incredible that Nokia can manage to please anybody. Either they're screaming for more open testing processes, or they're *****ing about how buggy these releases are when they get them. If you have a specific problem, go file a bug on bugzilla and help make the developer improve it before the final release. Snarky, rude comments like the one above don't help anybody.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Well, I've just loaded Modest up for a try and it seems to have many of the same erm... 'features' as the previous app. FYI, here's what I've found:

First, After setting up the account, it download about 475 messages, all archived in Gmail, but this is of course nowhere close to the actual number of archived messages I have on Google's server.

Now, when I click 'refresh' I get two or three more archived messages each time, but so far (twenty minutes) it hasn't downloaded the test message I sent immediately...

Finally, deleting the downloaded headers, in spite of what the pop-up windows says, does not delete them from the server (which is good, because that's where I want to store them, not on my N810).

As I write this, it occurs to me, though, since it loaded up as the native app, how can I be sure I'm actually running Modest? There didn't seem to be an 'about' section....

Edit: I just check the application manager and it show it as installed, so perhaps it is indeed running...

Last edited by Greyghost; 2007-12-12 at 17:15.

Tags
mail modest