Active Topics

that web site worked flawlessly for me and im running xchat in the background.

maybe try installing a swap disk if youre having problems. dunno.

havent tried the pdf yet. brb.

i didn't do a restore on mine. just got it yesterday, took it out of the box and grabbed the latest os update immediately. the problem i'm experiencing is an actual reboot for sure. i click to open the web browser, the screen goes white, and it starts booting up again with the nokia logo. the other symptom is a zombie browser - it displays fine, i can minimize it, etc but clicks/scrolls/etc aren't registered.

Posts: 148 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Stimutax, AZ
Maybe that website could fix a few of the almost 300 html compliance errors before you start dinging the 770.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...amegeek.com%2F

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted by gultig
Maybe that website could fix a few of the almost 300 html compliance errors before you start dinging the 770.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...amegeek.com%2F

Excellent catch there. That page took about 3-4 seconds in Firefox on a Pentium M 740 with a gig of RAM. It's perfectly reasonable to have the Nokia 770 take 5 times as long given the disparity between resources.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ San Jose
I'd also like to add that I enabled the swap space on mine and that page loaded up just fine. Granted it might be chewing up my 64MB card, but its been very much worth it thus far.

Live via free 770:

Sorry, I didn't try to click through. That's happened to me on other sites. Close Opera or reboot is what I do too. Webmasters have to catch on to mobile access. This is the cutting edge. Maybe too sharp for your particular needs, alas.

The PDF was a little slow but worked great opening up in the browser. The web page loaded fast and scrolled great.

Originally Posted by thoughtfix
Excellent catch there. That page took about 3-4 seconds in Firefox on a Pentium M 740 with a gig of RAM. It's perfectly reasonable to have the Nokia 770 take 5 times as long given the disparity between resources.
while the points regarding html compliance are well-made, i think that should result in rendering errors, not system death (and fwiw opera for windows renders it fine). it's not taking 5 times longer, it is literally rebooting the 770 or locking up entirely. if the front page (the busiest part) took 20 seconds to render and worked fine after that, i would be relatively content. i don't believe reboots should ever occur even if the site is malformed, and it happens to me constantly.

it seems that many people who are finding the web site okay are swapping to their mmc cards though - i'll have to try that out tonight. thanks for all of the responses!

Last edited by astroglide; 2006-01-05 at 00:43.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted by astroglide
it seems that many people who are finding the web site okay are swapping to their mmc cards though - i'll have to try that out tonight. thanks for all of the responses!
Is there a swap howto out there? If not, I'll make one if someone points me to the right forum posts.

how do you enable the swap space?