Active Topics

Hi. What is the best way to access files on my Windows XP PC from my 770 using WIFI. What programs or packages do I need and how do I set it up ??

If you set up a network on your home PC and access that with the internet connection that your PC is using, I believe you should be able to view the shared folders with your 770. Go to "File Manager" and you should see them.

Not sure if that works on the 770, but with my N800 running OS2008 it works just fine.

Orb http://www.orb.com might be the thing you are looking for. As well as streaming media, it also allows you to view files on your PC.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Lakeland, FL
I just noticed today that if I rebooted the N800 in the house next to my laptop, I can see and access my shared folders. If I bring in the N800 from work where I've restarted it, it won't see the shared files until a reboot happens. This is using OS2008.

I run a highly user-friendly FTP server (Serv-U) on my PC, so I can access all the files through the 770's Opera browser. It's simple click-through that way. Using the MaemoFTP client works too, of course, but that program crashes easily.

(I started using an FTP server on my LAN many years ago, when I noticed that FTP transfers were faster than Windows Sharing.)

Last edited by Drewvt; 2008-01-04 at 17:58.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Germany
I often use WinSCP. This will give you a commander style interface. I think it requires OpenSSH or Dropbear (in my case) on the N800. And of cause Becomeroot or some other methd for secure login.

I've been struggling with this too... I'm a bit skeptical about using orb as of, how shall i put it?, the volume of media contained on my HDD!

Does anyone know exactly how secure the orb software is in regards to user privacy etc?

Alternatively does anyone know of a downloadable app for my 770 that will let me access the shared folders on my network? It would make sense to have a descent app for this scenario as there is so much potential.

I use rdesktop, and just share the memory card on the N800. The memory card then shows up as a shared drive, and you can drag & drop. This trick works between Windows PCs, too.

I also use SSH/SCP, but mainly to Linux boxes. There is a windows package for OpenSSH, which I use on one machine.

I'm playing with Orb, but not sure if I like it yet - certainly not the quickest option for simple file access.

I use sftp with openssh at both ends.

Dragging and dropping is all well and good if you use rdesktop but I quite fancy being able to stream media from my desktop PC over to my N770, it's really beginning to irritate me now... I've tried a couple of apps, 'Media Streamer' being one of them but it keeps looking for devices and won't find any of my shared media even though my desktop is set up to share?!

In honesty, I'm a bit new to this tablet business being that I only picked up my N770 a few days ago (side bar. If you want one for £55 hit up eXpansys and check the back stock!). My principal reason for the purchase was to use it as an iTunes wireless remote, PlayerPal has that all sorted for me but I figure, if the potential is there to do other stuff, I may as well have a good old play with it!