Active Topics

Every time I update, I lose space on the internal memory. I assume that the old versions aren't being removed? Is there a way to clean up old versions after the update? Like apt-get autoclean, or something to clean up the unused cache?

Andrew

Maemo is based upon Debian and, thus, uses apt to install software. The space your loosing is due to the .deb installation files being downloaded and kept in memory. These files are kept in the /etc/apt/cache directory. There are a few methods that can be used to get rid of these files, as they aren't needed after the programs are installed, not least of which is simply navigating to the directory and deleting them.

Here's a method I use in ubuntu to free space and it works in maemo also. (you'll have to have a program installed to use the root function. I use "sudser". I believe it's in the standard repos.)

Open a terminal and run these three commands (without quotes), upon the completion of each previous command:

sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get clean

Doing so will remove any "left over" dependancies that weren't removed (or are no longer needed) due to the removal of programs and clean the downloaded cache of installed applications. Doing so has freed up 97.1 mb on my own system. I hope it helps you do the same.

Last edited by mikespug; 2009-03-01 at 11:57.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikespug For This Useful Post:
Another tip would be to move the default map locations if you have installed, and use, any gps software. Most default to the system memory but can easily be moved to the...umm....other system memory (you know what I'm referring to). I'll not go into the details of how to do so. Just do a quick search through the forums and you should have some luck.

When Ifirst got the n810 I deleted the pdf manuals and default music/videos to free up some space.

Anyway- when I try to issue the cleanup commands it asks me for a password? What's the default password?

I believe it is simply 12345...i could be mistaken though as my system doesn't ask for a password when running commands as sudo. I couldn't tell you why though.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Lake Elsinore, CA
Originally Posted by DJ-VAN View Post
When Ifirst got the n810 I deleted the pdf manuals and default music/videos to free up some space.

Anyway- when I try to issue the cleanup commands it asks me for a password? What's the default password?
I'm getting the same thing and I've tried 12345 and other passwords but just can't get it to work.

Originally Posted by a1mega View Post
I'm getting the same thing and I've tried 12345 and other passwords but just can't get it to work.

I'm looking for the same thing. It doesn't let me enter 12345, and nothing else works.

After doing some searching i believe the default password might be "rootme" ...but again...my system, for whatever reason, doesn't ask for a password when I issue commands using sudo so I can't be sure. I'll do some further searching in the forums. I've noticed many use a program called "gainroot" to issue commands as root...that may be a good alternative to "sudser".

Originally Posted by mikespug View Post

sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get clean
Thanks, that worked. I just had to install the "rootsh" package from the extras repository and then run sudo gainroot.

I also had previously moved all the pdf's to my external card.

Now I have enough space to install a few extra apps!

Andrew