Active Topics

Originally Posted by genome4hire View Post
And for some strange reason, visiting 'http://www.metafilter.com' from the N800 over the VPN immediately starts generating VPN errors, and kicks me offline. I've not noticed it with any other website.
Hey, www.metafilter.com kicks me off the VPN too! Wierd eh?

BTW, the script you gave to be put into the /etc/ppp/ip-up.d directory, how do you enable that file to be executed? when I ran pon in debug mode, i noticed that it doesn't call the script, eventhough I named it the same as the pon filename.

eg. pon snap

so I made a script in the ip-up.d directory called snap and chmod a+x snap . But it doesn't get executed...how did you get yours working?

Luke

Last edited by luketoh; 2007-04-24 at 20:30.

@luketoh:
i checked www.metafilter.com. runs fine on my device. i think it could be something specific with your pptp server.

the names of the scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ are irrelevant. they just must be executable. i run
Code:
chmod +x filename
and everything runs fine. btw, the log doesn't show that the script has been run.

if you want to connect to different pptp server you must differentiate between them. eg:
Code:
CONNECTION=$6
if [ "${CONNECTION}" = "" ]; then CONNECTION=${PPP_IPPARAM}; fi

if [ "${CONNECTION}" = "uni1" ] ; then
	route del -host 192.168.23.1
	route add -host 132.252.57.235 gw 192.168.7.1 dev wlan0
	route del default
	route add default dev ppp0
fi

if [ "${CONNECTION}" = "uni2" ] ; then
	route del -host 192.168.19.1
	route add -host 34.3.43.112gw 192.168.45.1 dev wlan0
	route del default
	route add default dev ppp0
fi
@framerate:
thx for the nice words. feedback always feels good.
btw, there is a paypal donate link on my site

greetz

Last edited by loki; 2007-04-25 at 14:37.

I'm a bit confused on the total steps involved. Please fill me in:

- Install Patched Kernel
- Install pptp client
- edit config files Which files need to be setup?
- edit ip-up.d scripts? What is the right steps here?

What other steps are missing from the list? I'm gonna keep playing with it for now

Hi Framerate,

- Install Patched Kernel
- Install pptp client
- Ping
- Traceroute

from

http://maemo.lancode.de/

Follow here

http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/ho...figure_by_hand

Configure by hand

Do it as root...

Note pts. 1, 3, 4 only (I think I skipped 2 cos the file was there and had those things already spread out in that file) and use this command to start instead

Code:
pon $TUNNEL debug dump logfd 2 nodetach
You should see something like this at the end

Code:
Cannot detemine ethernet address for proxy ARP
local IP address 130.95.91.181
remote IP address 192.168.0.144
Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started (pid 2897)
Script / etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 2897), status 0x0
If you're using the latest xterm, you can then open a new Tab (basically new xterm instance) and then use this as a guide for the routing

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...7&postcount=46

You should not need to play with the ip-up.d/ scripts yet...just get the basics working first.

Switching to the 1st tab on xterm where you ran the pon line should let you monitor whether the script is still running fine or it went down. Mine sometimes does that and I don't know why. But the mtu setting that Loki mentioned in his post helped.

Also, do install the ping and traceroute softwares found on Loki's site (where you got the kernals and pptp client). Those are useful.

If you find that you can traceroute or ping 209.85.135.103 (which is google I think) but you cannot do the same if you used the full URL (www.google.com) then that means you need to edit your resolv.conf file in /etc/resolv.conf and add in some nameservers that are on your VPN network to resolve the URL names.

Let us know how yours goes!

Luke

Last edited by luketoh; 2007-04-27 at 01:23.

Oh yes, poff doesn't seem to work for me. So what I do is I use the network icon on the top of my N800 and disconnect from the network.

If you reconnect to the network again, then you will notice that the routing table is reset...that means, it would be as if you rebooted. This is a quick way to reset the network settings should you mess up and want to retry (without actually rebooting).

Luke

Hey luke,

thanks for the hint. there is a directory /etc/ppp/ip-down.d/ where u can place scripts which get executed after finishing the tunnel. same precedure as with ip-up.d/.

poff <name> doesn't work for me too, but simply
Code:
poff
works.

greetz,
loki

Sorry to come at this so late, but I can't get the PPTP kernel image (access denied when trying to download).

Any chance the access could be un-denied?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
You can get similar kernel also from here http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#pptp It may be a bit more complex for you since I prefer to have additional rarely used features compiled as kernel modules (not hardcoded directly to kernel). So you need also archive with kernel modules, extract it and use insmod command to insert them before using pptp.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Thanks for the quick reply, cracking! I'd just found your site and was bracing myself for on-device flashing, but sadly the tar files are exhibiting an unexpected EOF in archive on both my (Ubuntu) tablet PC and n800. Sad! I suppose I could always try my Windows computer... lol

Update: WinRAR opens and extracts the files fine. Weird.

Last edited by zestuart; 2007-10-29 at 15:53.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by zestuart View Post
but sadly the tar files are exhibiting an unexpected EOF in archive on both my (Ubuntu) tablet PC and n800. Sad! I suppose I could always try my Windows computer... lol

Update: WinRAR opens and extracts the files fine. Weird.
Which ones? Those with suffix .tar.gz or .tgz or both? Both are gzipped tars. can you try both 'tar ztvf' and also without 'z' on the 'broken' file? Maybe your browser silently decompresses gzip files? Just tried and both work fine for me with Firefox on XP and Ubuntu 6.10. Will try also on device but I think I already tried many times since it is easier to get them directly from web if one has freshly flashed firmware and no ssh server on device.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.