Active Topics

Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
Hi,
1 week ago I decided I needed a new phone as all my mates had nice new shiny phones that could do all sorts of things that my beloved N900 couldnt .... as well as my front screen been so scratched i was wearing my finger out every time i touched the screen!!!! I had been waiting for the N9/N950 but as soon as I found out it didnt have a hardware keyboard the waiting was over.

I decided on the S2 for a few reasons and have found it a very nice phone but am missing some of the experience of the n900 massively, most especially the hardware keyboard.

Anyway just a note to all those that made the N900 a great experience for me and turned a stock phone into a very very usable phone, thank you!

I will be keeping my N900 to use as, ummm, im not sure but but just cant find it in me to click that 'sell an item' button on ebay just yet!!!

Over and out

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fraaaaanka For This Useful Post:
Why can't all "leaving" post be like this? Good luck with the S2 in the future, perhaps you could give us a few updates when you get use to the phone more as I think a lot of us are considering doing the same once our N900 dies.

So what do you think about Android? How is the multitasking on it?

well so far its impressing me .... out of the box its a bit boring' but like the n900 once you've gone into the 'apps market' you can download a multitude of apps to improve and customise your device. Im still learning & getting to grips with what you can do but the main plus's are:
  • sat nav - absolutely brilliant, load up time is zero, finds gps instantly, rerouting takes seconds, you can view the map as standard drawn map or if it floats yer boat you can use sattelite photo images which is really interesting.
  • the voice recognition software is great although incorrect quite often - its nice to be able to say whilst driving "message wife will be home in ten minutes" and the text message is sent for you
  • screen is top notch picture quality
  • its light as a feather (makes my n900 seem like a chest of drawers
  • ease of use - it seemed a bit difficult to navigate to start with but as time goes by its getting easier & easier
  • email - to sync with my pop3 accounts all i needed to do was enter my email address and password and all settings were downloaded autoimatically and email worked!!! wow!!!!
  • camera - quality is great but really really miss having a 'real' button to press - hate having to press the touchscreen to take the picture
  • multitasking - just works! use an app then start doing something else - only prob i see is that theres no task manager like there is in trhe n900 - if you are in the middle of something to go back to it you have to click the app button to go back to it so no real list of active apps but i saw an app in the market the other day that solves that so will give that a try soon
  • speed of device - its so fast - never any lag at all, click an app and it opens. very refreshing after on many occassions with my n900 waiting for an app to open for ages
  • keyboard - crap, rubbish, terrible, nasty - i hate the touch screen keyboard - it takes me 4 times longer to write anything - it seems the autocomplete works ina wierd way which means i keep reading back a message i wrote and having to mcorrect many words - im hoping that with time and use this will become less of an issue

so all in all its a great experience ... but no N900.

wheres my hardware keyboard!!!!!!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fraaaaanka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Russia, Moscow
keyboard - crap, rubbish, terrible, nasty - i hate the touch screen keyboard - it takes me 4 times longer to write anything - it seems the autocomplete works ina wierd way which means i keep reading back a message i wrote and having to mcorrect many words - im hoping that with time and use this will become less of an issue
Try hacker's keyboard

Posts: 429 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dubai
I am planning to get the S2 myself, i will finally get to mess with the N900 in a way like never before (lack of fear of losing my data).

As for the keyboard, ofc we can have a hard keyboard =D there are **** lots of bluetooth mini keyboards out there.

I was really hoping to try the meego out, A PROPER MEEGO! A meego the actually works. sick and tired, ill wait till the new announcement on sept. to see if samsung will bring out a 1.4ghz S2 or not and then buy the most performance craving. xD

anyways good luck to all the the S2 owners! And god bless the N900 :P

I think I am going to stay with my N900 as a phone, but I am thinking of buying an Android PMP thingy (once a good one is available).

Originally Posted by Xlab View Post
Try hacker's keyboard
installed and giving it a go, bit fidddly in portrait mode and i have pretty big hands so will prob try hackers in landscape mode only option to start with... but much better to have access to number keys and @ sign without switching function modes (if ya get what i mean)

Originally Posted by bakuur View Post
As for the keyboard, ofc we can have a hard keyboard =D there are **** lots of bluetooth mini keyboards out there.
hmm might get one and gaffa tape it to my s2

I gotta ask...why not just wait for the N9 instead of getting the SGSII?
I know you wanted the N9 to have a HW keyboard, but if the SII has a SW KB as well, why even jump ship? Why not just hang around til the N9 comes out in a month?

The Following User Says Thank You to cincibluer6 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 249 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
I commited Nokia Suicide yesterday and bought the Samsung Galaxy S II as well.

Do I feel guilty??? Of course I do, having been a Nokia N900 fanatic for the past 2 years and a Nokia Smartphone geek for a further 4 years prior.

I have my reasons, but there is nothing I can say negative about the Nokia N900 and this wonderful Maemo community. I am not saying goodbye either.

MyNokiaN900.com will not stop and die, it will carry on as soon as I get my "Nokia" mojo back. I just needed a break from recent Nokia disappointments.
My Nokia N900 is my website, still up an running for the Maemo community. My Nokia N900 is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay".

The Following User Says Thank You to MyNokiaN900 For This Useful Post: