Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
It doesn't work.
But that has nothing to do with your patch!

It seems like I have something destroyed with my fiddeling around on lxc. If i try to create a container. It there is the information that the container is running the setup, but after that the container wich was initially shown vanishes and that's it. (No matter if I use the original deamon.py or yours) So I have first to look what I have borked on my system.

I'm grateful for tipps. I have already deinstalled lxc many times and have searched for directories with the name lxc on my file system to empty them. Unfortunately with no success regarding the container setup. I have to dig deeper I fear....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Hum, I'm not sure exactly where your issue comes from. Do you have files in the folders I mentioned in my previous post?

Thanks for trying anyway! Note that I forgot to mention this would be tried without nemo/defaultuser symlink, else LXC could work because of that and not because of the patch.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
You could install the rpm that is already compiled on the Github repository, which you may already have.

Then kill the daemon: run "ps aux | grep daemon.py", then "kill -9 <daemon.py PID>".

And then replace your /usr/share/harbour-containers/service/daemon.py with the one in the fork above. Make sure you download the raw daemon.py and not the HTML view. And reboot.

One thing to keep in mind is you may have leftover configs in /var/lib/lxc. So if that doesn't work, it might be worth checking those and/or creating a new container, to make sure the configs are not still trying to use nemo.
Question - I wanted to try this method out of curiosity, since I'm interested in learning more about dbus, etc... I assume from your post that the first command (grep) is for the purpose of getting the PID of daemon.py, to use for the second command, to kill the service. But, when I use the 2nd command with the number I get frim the output of the first command, I get "... no process with PID... " error.
Am I understanding wrong?
EDIT - never mind... I think my process was dead already...

Last edited by levone1; 2021-05-23 at 15:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
It doesn't work.
But that has nothing to do with your patch!

It seems like I have something destroyed with my fiddeling around on lxc. If i try to create a container. It there is the information that the container is running the setup, but after that the container wich was initially shown vanishes and that's it. (No matter if I use the original deamon.py or yours) So I have first to look what I have borked on my system.

I'm grateful for tipps. I have already deinstalled lxc many times and have searched for directories with the name lxc on my file system to empty them. Unfortunately with no success regarding the container setup. I have to dig deeper I fear....
Maybe try Mashka to delete any lingering data/configs from previous installations, and even search filesystem for traces of "harbour-containers" and delete everything...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Maybe the PID you saw and tried to kill was that of `grep daemon.py` itself levone1, if the daemon was already stopped in your case.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
You could install the rpm that is already compiled on the Github repository, which you may already have.

Then kill the daemon: run "ps aux | grep daemon.py", then "kill -9 <daemon.py PID>".

And then replace your /usr/share/harbour-containers/service/daemon.py with the one in the fork above. Make sure you download the raw daemon.py and not the HTML view. And reboot.

One thing to keep in mind is you may have leftover configs in /var/lib/lxc. So if that doesn't work, it might be worth checking those and/or creating a new container, to make sure the configs are not still trying to use nemo.
Hi. I thought to give this a go, as I do not have nemo as my username. This is a fresh install. I went through the guide to install everything, and then followed your guide to replace daemon.py. I also had the "... no process with PID... " error when killing the service. I then used terminal to remove the old daemon.py file and copy the new one over. I then rebooted.

But now, when I open the container, there is nothing there. It doesn't not show Alien Dalvik or the option to create a new container. It only shows the menu of Freeze/Stop all, and about.

Any suggestions?
Thank you.

Originally Posted by levone1 View Post
Maybe try Mashka to delete any lingering data/configs from previous installations, and even search filesystem for traces of "harbour-containers" and delete everything...
Would someone mind writing a description of how to uninstall harbour-containers please? After attempting to install a distro, the container stopped showing anything, and I don't know how to restart it to get working again. Any help for a noob would be awesome. Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spoofykid For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by spoofykid View Post
Would someone mind writing a description of how to uninstall harbour-containers please? After attempting to install a distro, the container stopped showing anything, and I don't know how to restart it to get working again. Any help for a noob would be awesome. Thanks.
You could first of all look which containers exist with
Code:
lxc-ls
It will show aliendalvik if installed and additional containers you set up.

Then delete the one that failed to set up with
Code:
lxc-destroy <CONTAINERNAME>
Use brackets if your container name has spaces like "debian sid".
harbour-containers did then start up again in my case.

I am on 4.0.1.48 on Proš and in process to figure out how to set up debian so Kabouik can finally move to 4.0 from 3.3

It would be great if someone could post instuctions how to create and setup a debian container from CLI. That way i could supply the logs here. I figure the ones from first post are outdated?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by levone1 View Post
So I did a clean flash of 4.0...
Sorry for spotting this only just now.
Your wording implies one of the Proš 4.0 images actually worked?
Or did you flash 3.4 and then OTA to 4.0?

I tried to flash all of the 4.0 images listed in the gitlab artifacts and they did not work for me.
Adam would be quite relieved to hear they actually work and it was my error they did not!

The Following User Says Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Then delete the one that failed to set up with
Code:
lxc-destroy <CONTAINERNAME>
Thank you! So easy. It brought my harbour-containers back to life.

And then replace your /usr/share/harbour-containers/service/daemon.py with the one in the fork above.
Thanks - this worked for me. It might be worth noting (for people like me) that you need to make the copied file executable
Code:
chmod +x daemon.py
otherwise the container application opens with nothing in it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spoofykid For This Useful Post:

Tags
application, development, linux