Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Oh, cmon you two

I am pretty sure you know this list
https://together.jolla.com/question/...lfish-browser/
and it is not only about social media stuff...
eh yes I know the list but I do not need anything that's listed there!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
eh yes I know the list but I do not need anything that's listed there!
Me either, and if it turns out I do need it, I open Firefox Focus. Most of the time - at least for the content I want to look at (TMO, TJC, Hackaday, looking up Gentoo USE flags) it's fine. It's typically responsive, and the UI choices are smart. I don't like reliance on javascript (or frankly, any other arbitrarily linked remote content) to look at a website.

Yes, I know this is anecdotal, but it's fine.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
I am pretty sure you know this list
https://together.jolla.com/question/...lfish-browser/
and it is not only about social media stuff...
Actually, no I was not aware of it. I avoid TJC like a plague. Too hostile - and that comes from a guy who frequently comments on YouTube.

I have looked through that list and like juiceme, I did not find anything I would use or need

I have one reservation, though. This comment: "videos do not play". That is patently not true. I spend countless hours a day watching and commenting on YouTube videos. My Jolla is (still) indisposed and waiting for a cold restart, but the stock Sailfish browser on my Xperia X is what I use almost exclusively. There are some odd problems with responding to other people's posts, but watching works perfectly fine.

There are websites where embedded videos don't work. For example, BBC. They look like they still use Flash so I am not surprised. Nor am I missing it.

But yes, I accept the answer, even though to me it is a case of Schroedinbug

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
I'd say not unusable for an occasional link, but for generic browsing sessions, I wouldn't use it because of the absence of [...]
Again, thanks for the answer but that's a lot of advanced features WAAAAAY beyond what I would even consider using, or even know they exist, let alone know how to use them. First party isolation? Smart referer header? uBlock origin? Aggressive mode? Are you speaking in Elfish?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
I'd say not unusable for an occasional link, but for generic browsing sessions, I wouldn't use it because of the absence of adequate build-in privacy, like blocking third party cookies, but also the lack of add-on support. The current web is just too full of tracking dreck.
I found out only recently that most familiar Firefox settings are accessible via about:config.
I already changed a few cookie-related.
Not as good as uMatrix etc. but it's a start.
Javascript still worries me though. On an outdated mozilla engine. It can be disabled completely, but if it can't be enabled easily that's not practical.

I will tackle hosts-based ad-blocking soon. I use system-wide domain blocking on all my computers and wouldn't want to miss it anymore.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
There is one important site that does not work with Sailfish Browser: github.com . But I agree, SFOS Browser UI is very nice, so Angelfish does try to reproduce better elements from it as well.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Likewise. I tried a bunch of alternatives but found it pointless, since the stock Sailfish browser was perfectly fine and actually better than most others, especially in the UI design.

I wonder what people mean when they say that it is "unusable". Can anyone give an example?
i confess i haven't tested the native browser much in 3.2, having abandoned it as inadequate in 3.1 ( joined the party on 3.0 with an XA2 plus).

it was chronically slow to load tabs, frequently failed to render a tabs properly, and occasionally seemed to completely lock up if it had to manage more than half a dozen open tabs at once (on a 6gb phone!).

since that point i have used firefox - whilst continuing to grumble that jolla need to fix this situation given how central the broswer is to SFOS's integrated account management user experience.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
I was submitting a Zendesk support request and there was a selection for Sailfish version.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to satoh For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Just a reminder, coderus crawler(?) shows what you can "actually get" as regular Early-Access participant:
https://coderus.openrepos.net/whitesoft/sailversion

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
EDIT: Never mind, I've gone for a backup of the entire /home with tar.
But would still like to know the answer, just to learn something. Original post below:

-------------------------------------------

What does this mean? How can I fix it?

Code:
/usr/libexec/jolla-vault/units/vault-browser: undefined symbol: _ZN5vault4unit6getoptEv
It is the result of trying to make a backup before wiping my Jolla clean and starting over.

The full log (in sailfish_backup_2020-04-23T09-58-21Z_backup_log.txt) looks like this:
Code:
Status = Preparing
[UI] Preparing to backup files to /run/media/nemo/DINGHY-SD/sailfish_backup_2020-04-23T09-58-21Z.tar
Preparing to backup units: Accounts, Browser, Calendar, Gallery, Messages, People, Phone to /run/media/nemo/DINGHY-SD/sailfish_backup_2020-04-23T09-58-21Z.tar
Running unit script Accounts (1 of 7)
Status = UnitScriptStarted
[UI] Reading data
Start: mkdir -p /home/nemo/.local/share/system/privileged/Backups-tmp/units/sailfish_backup_2020-04-23T09-58-21Z/Accounts/blobs
Done: mkdir [OK]
Start: mkdir -p /home/nemo/.local/share/system/privileged/Backups-tmp/units/sailfish_backup_2020-04-23T09-58-21Z/Accounts/data
Start: /usr/libexec/jolla-vault/units/vault-accounts --action export --name Accounts --bin-dir /home/nemo/.local/share/system/privileged/Backups-tmp/units/sailfish_backup_2020-04-23T09-58-21Z/Accounts/blobs --dir /home/nemo/.local/share/system/privileged/Backups-tmp/units/sailfish_backup_2020-04-23T09-58-21Z/Accounts/data --home-dir /home/nemo
Done: vault-accounts [OK]
Status = UnitScriptFinished
Running unit script Browser (2 of 7)
Status = UnitScriptStarted
[UI] Reading data
Start: mkdir -p /home/nemo/.local/share/system/privileged/Backups-tmp/units/sailfish_backup_2020-04-23T09-58-21Z/Browser/blobs
Start: mkdir -p /home/nemo/.local/share/system/privileged/Backups-tmp/units/sailfish_backup_2020-04-23T09-58-21Z/Browser/data
Start: /usr/libexec/jolla-vault/units/vault-browser --action export --name Browser --bin-dir /home/nemo/.local/share/system/privileged/Backups-tmp/units/sailfish_backup_2020-04-23T09-58-21Z/Browser/blobs --dir /home/nemo/.local/share/system/privileged/Backups-tmp/units/sailfish_backup_2020-04-23T09-58-21Z/Browser/data --home-dir /home/nemo
Done: vault-browser [FAILED] Exit code: 127
Standard error was:
/usr/libexec/jolla-vault/units/vault-browser: symbol lookup error: /usr/libexec/jolla-vault/units/vault-browser: undefined symbol: _ZN5vault4unit6getoptEv

[ERROR] 3 Process exited with non-zero exit code or status, quitting.
Status = Finalizing
[UI] Finalising operation
Status = Finished
Removing working files in /home/nemo/.local/share/system/privileged/Backups-tmp/units/sailfish_backup_2020-04-23T09-58-21Z

Last edited by pichlo; 2020-04-23 at 16:59.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
One thing that I would love to see in the Sailfish browser is something I miss from desktop Firefox - multi-account containers (or even a simpler way to deal with multiple profiles). I was quite dismayed, therefore, when after finally installing mobile Firefox via Android support I discovered it doesn't support it either (apparently it's desktop-only? no idea why).

On the topic of websites that do not work in the SFOS browser, that includes pretty much all Google websites; most notably for me, Google Voice and Google Maps. (I know the response in this forum will be "stop using Google products then" but that does not address the issue of compatibility.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post: