Notices

I'm not entirely certain I understand the purpose of the application. Is it meant as a 'better application manager', i.e. replacing it, or is it for some other purpose? From the screenshots it looks a bit like what you see if you hit the 'ovi store' downloader.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2010-01-29 at 10:28. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I'm not entirely certain I understand the purpose of the application. It is meant as a 'better application manager', i.e. replacing it, or is it for some other purpose? From the screenshots it looks a bit like what you see if you hit the 'ovi store' downloader.
The application manager focuses more on the installation process, and management of the installed apps, like in a bit more technical way. It handels for example still the installation of the applications. The appdownloader focuses more on the content and feedback of the applications, to make the discovery easier, by showing the top ten as n example and giving with the screenshots a better picture of what the application is about.

I hope this answered the question.

daniel

Last edited by danielwilms; 2010-01-28 at 19:24.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Would this run on Diablo as well?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Hi,

after some improvements in all parts, the "appdownloader" is now available in extras-testing. All the details you will find in this blog post.

So if you find some time, please install it on your device and let me know what you think about it. Special thanks again to Bergie, Niels (server-side API) and Andrew (UI-design).

Daniel

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danielwilms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Congrats ! One practical question - how stable is libqt4-appdownloader-comm ? As in, can we start using in our packages, too, once it lance in Extras without fear of breakage ?

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Congrats ! One practical question - how stable is libqt4-appdownloader-comm ? As in, can we start using in our packages, too, once it lance in Extras without fear of breakage ?

This is pretty stable...it should be a bit more configurable, but this I try to do without API breaks. Otherwise I will announce that. But I have to work on the documentation before I guess.

Daniel

The Following User Says Thank You to danielwilms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Would be possible to reuse most of the appdownloader to help browsing, voting and commenting on applications still on testing?

Maybe even go a step further and have a version that allows the same for the applications on development.... going one step crazier would be even nicer if we could also have the comments about the applications, at least the ones still on development, also make to the "announcement" thread....

I wonder how many n900 users have extas-devel enabled, regardless of all the big warnings. I would assume a big chunk have and could benefit from some more information before deciding to install an application (rates, comments, ...).

The benefit to the applications on testing for me is even more obvious. It would help getting more people to participate and by that improve the application's quality that make to extras and speed the process.

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases