Notices

It's more the fact vlc will play almost anything you throw @ it. And considering mplayer isn't optimized for the n900 yet >.>

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
There's already a version you can download and try on the N900, but there are several serious problems with it. It is unclear whether it will be coming to the official repositories any time soon.

There's already a thread here about it, and the developer actually posted in that one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Also, there's an interesting test of supposedly optimised VLC vs supposedly unoptimised mplayer over here. I tried playing some test videos with VLC, with disappointing results, and My-Symbian tried with mplayer, with much better results...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
It's more the fact vlc will play almost anything you throw @ it. And considering mplayer isn't optimized for the n900 yet >.>
Those are just the codec backend VLC uses. Same with MPlayer. IIRC VLC uses Xine. The right way is to use Gstreamer. Then any media player can use the codecs... but then we'd have less media players... rendering some media players useless. Cool thing on N900 is that Fremantle got some support for proprietary codecs by default, so you don't have to resort to gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly or gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad

I definitely like vlc. It is my goto choice on the desktop for just about anything I come across. I even like to use it with its stream save option as sort of poor man's tivo for sports and other stuff that is not broadcast locally.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
What is the point of 9458515155159 media players? Get me one which is good, which provides a good interface. I don't care about the name. VLC is Qt on Linux desktop, hence I don't use it on my GNOME desktop. Totem works great, and uses Gstreamer. Unless VLC has a good UI its just another media player for Maemo. Which is unfortunate.
Except for the fact that VLC plays basically EVERY format known to man. The interface is unimportant if it cannot play the stuff I want
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
What is the point of 9458515155159 media players? Get me one which is good, which provides a good interface. I don't care about the name. VLC is Qt on Linux desktop, hence I don't use it on my GNOME desktop. Totem works great, and uses Gstreamer. Unless VLC has a good UI its just another media player for Maemo. Which is unfortunate.
Interesting post from a logic point of view. Lets analyze it.

1st premise:
VLC is Qt on Linux desktop, hence I don't use it on my GNOME desktop.
True for allnameswereout and other GNOME purists.

2nd premise:
Totem works great, and uses Gstreamer.
What basis do we have to say it works great? How do we know this is true? How does it compare to VLC, for example?

Conclusion:
Unless VLC has a good UI its just another media player for Maemo. Which is unfortunate.
The conclusion has absolutely no connection with the premises expressed, as expressed.

Let me see if I can expressed what the poster really meant.

1st premise:
I am a GNOME purist and therefore do not use Qt apps.

2nd premise:
Totem is good enough for me and therefore I don't need to see what is available on the Qt side.

Conclusion:
VLC is a Qt app and therefor is is useless to me.

Now, that is a logicaly valid argument.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

There's currently no frontend for VLC in Maemo 5. So it is a console app. Both Gnome and KDE have consoles, right?

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
then am sure you dont also use virtualbox and skype? beside if its integration you with gnome you seek, then you statement is very misleading because qt actually integrate very well with gnome, so much so that its hard to tell a qt app from gnome (since there use native gtk widgets) so get your facts straight dude. and stop spreading fud

My Blog

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
The nice thing about VLC is it contains codecs in the app. I find sometimes VLC works on files others do not. MKV support is also nice and the app has an audio EQ.

Tags
fact from fiction, imagination, multimediatard