I made the mistake of buying a 2gb rs-mmc, and found out it doesn't work with the 770 after I got it...I was wondering if it's possible for the 770 to take 2gb cards in the future? Is this hardware or software related?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What brand is the card? Have you tried partitioning it into 2 1gb partitions?

The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgecore For This Useful Post:
The brand is Rapid. How would I partition it? It would be sweet if I could get it to work.

I have also seen the Rapid 2gb rs-mmc. Did you ever get yours to work? Has anybody else tried it? Are there any lmitations in the Nokia770 for this to work?

Is it a Dual Voltage card?

I did not realize that 2GB cards existed. I would love to have 2GB. What error did you get? Is the card recognized? How much was the cost?

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by el_fefes
I made the mistake of buying a 2gb rs-mmc, and found out it doesn't work with the 770 after I got it...I was wondering if it's possible for the 770 to take 2gb cards in the future? Is this hardware or software related?
Not to be facetious, but both (H/W & S/W). The software driver has limitations (FAT16 vs FAT32) and the hardware interface is dependent on address and control lines. If addressing of 2GB is available, then most likely the driver can access or could access the memory completely. I had thought the limit was 1GB, but you might squeak by with partitioning. On a Mac you use the Disk Utility to do it, I imagine there is something similar on a Windoze box. I can't remember what app is used in Unix, it has been too long.

Update: It has been confirmed that 2G cards _do not_ work with the 2005OS or the 2006 beta. A patch has been submitted to solve the issue, but it's unknown if it will be included in the IT2006 final release.

Originally Posted by Odin
Not to be facetious, but both (H/W & S/W).
Can you point to references for these statements somewhere? At first read it looks like you're conflating a couple of historical PC hardware limitations that aren't particularly applicable to the maximum size RS-MMC readable by the 770.

The software driver has limitations (FAT16 vs FAT32)...
Although FAT16 partitions are limited to ~2G in size, 2G is big enough in this case. Plus the 770 is capable of reading FAT32 formatted devices that aren't subject to the 2G limit, and has already been used to access a fat32 formatted 60G iPod via the USB host hacks (Read the Mass Storage script posts by Lui G: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...searchid=96632)

...and the hardware interface is dependent on address and control lines.
The width of the address bus limits the maximum available RAM in standard desktop PC architecture, but we're talking about permanent storage in this thread. Even though it's flash based, the RS-MMC storage in the 770 is not subject to the address limitations you appear to be referring to.

It seems to me that the most likely reason the 2G card isn't working is because it's a poor quality card. As near as I can tell there's only one manufacturer making it and it's not carried by any of the major resellers.

Last edited by mikelococo; 2006-06-22 at 18:40. Reason: New Information Available

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by mikelococo
Can you point to references for these statements somewhere? At first read it looks like you're conflating a couple of historical PC hardware limitations that aren't particularly applicable to the maximum size RS-MMC readable by the 770.
I was just speculating...the original post seemed to imply that it was not understood why the 2GB was not recognized. Having just come off the same issues with a Palm TC, the problems appeared to be similar.

Although FAT16 partitions are limited to ~2G in size, 2G is big enough in this case. Plus the 770 is capable of reading FAT32 formatted devices that aren't subject to the 2G limit, and has already been used to access a fat32 formatted 60G iPod via the USB host hacks (Read the Mass Storage script posts by Lui G: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...searchid=96632)
I was not aware of that, so the limit is apparently well beyond 2GB.

The width of the address bus limits the maximum available RAM in standard desktop PC architecture, but we're talking about permanent storage in this thread. Even though it's flash based, the RS-MMC storage in the 770 is not subject to the address limitations you appear to be referring to.

It seems to me that the most likely reason the 2G card isn't working is because it's a poor quality card. As near as I can tell there's only one manufacturer making it and it's not carried by any of the major resellers.
Good to know. My earlier speculations were just that--made without enough information. I also forgot that the USB interface is serial, is there no limit to the size of an address? (I am sure there is some theoretical limit)

Originally Posted by Odin
I also forgot that the USB interface is serial, is there no limit to the size of an address? (I am sure there is some theoretical limit)
Although the RS-MMC is available externally via USB, internally it hooks right up to the system bus and behaves pretty much like a hard disk. I don't know the specifics of the addressing scheme they use, but the analogous standards in the PC world would be INT13, LBA, and the 48-bit addressing in ATAPI-6. Whatever it is, the limit is clearly way bigger that any RS-MMC card coming down the pike.

Nonetheless, the first couple folks that upgrade to 2G cards are going to have to run the compatibility gauntlet. I haven't heard or read any good reasons why a 2G card _can't_ work. Whether this or that brand actually _will_ work is another story. I'll be holding off until Lexar or Sandisk or someone else with a history of market leadership releases a product before I jump in the ring.