Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Does anyone else have issues with the vibrations that the touch keyboard produces? The vibrations are different with every keystroke, some touches don't make the phone vibrate at all. It seems to get better if I type v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y, like I would let the phone recover from the last vibration it had to produce...

It's irritating to a point that a find it better to use the keyboard without any vibration at all. If others have this, too, it might be a software problem. Otherwise, my phone's probably broken.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Does anyone else have issues with the vibrations that the touch keyboard produces? The vibrations are different with every keystroke, some touches don't make the phone vibrate at all. It seems to get better if I type v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y, like I would let the phone recover from the last vibration it had to produce...

It's irritating to a point that a find it better to use the keyboard without any vibration at all. If others have this, too, it might be a software problem. Otherwise, my phone's probably broken.
Same problem. I think it is software related.

The Following User Says Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London

Yep, same problem here.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
Jolla arrived 18th of Dec. After a couple of days fiddling with Jolla I find myself really enjoying the OS as well as the device. Jolla seems sturdy and the OS is fluid (way to go Wayland! - let's get rid of the x on the desktop as well!). A noteworthy thing is that after reading this and other forums I sense there is a community emerging.

I had sensation of familiarity. I was able to login to the device with ssh and explore how the OS is organized. While logged in, I did some file transfers with sftp, installed Python (2.7) with pkcon and launched vim (/bin/vi). It was like coming home after being able to use N900 in a more or less similar manner.

For me the only problem was getting calendar sync working with MS Exchange after I read that Google had dropped their support and caldav wasn't implemented yet to SailfishOS.

I got the calendar sync working by switching from Google Calendar to Microsoft's Outlook (which includes email and calendar amongst other services). I hope there will be alternatives for Google and Microsoft in the future.

Once gPodder, CuteSpotify and CuteTube reach Jolla's software market I will get rid of Alien Dalvik. I mean, thanks to community (which I think Jolla is a part of), I have email, calendar, spotify (WIP), rss-feed as well as twitter already.

I hope Jolla manages to find it's niche in the mobile market so that the development of the SailfishOS (with upstream to Mer, Nemo and QT) and the devices will continue.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to cloudbuster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Has anyone with the Jolla *not* installed any Android apps our even the Android Davlik VM?

Wondering what Jolla is like at its base UX?

And if its not usable without it, what apps services are necessary and why?
No Android apps for me. Most important to get fixed in the core is the buggy browser. Missing apps for me ATM:

* GPodder
* NFCKeyring

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Heads up on SyncML / Buteo syncing, at least in combination with memotoo. I was missing some contacts. Memotoo reported erros in sync log, suggesting it might be due to bad syntax.

On the N9 there are more detailed logs available, but on Jolla I haven't found those. Only thing I did see was this, in the journal:
Code:
Dec 22 13:44:05 localhost msyncd[2195]: [W] DataSync::SyncMLMessageParser::readDevInfItem:934 - UNKNOWN TOKEN TYPE in DEVINF:NOT HANDLED BY PARSER "Data" 
Dec 22 13:44:05 localhost msyncd[2195]: [W] DataSync::SyncMLMessageParser::readDataStore:1113 - UNKNOWN TOKEN TYPE in DEVINF:NOT HANDLED BY PARSER "DisplayName" 
Dec 22 13:44:05 localhost msyncd[2195]: [W] DataSync::SyncMLMessageParser::readDataStore:1113 - UNKNOWN TOKEN TYPE in DEVINF:NOT HANDLED BY PARSER "DisplayName" 
Dec 22 13:44:07 localhost msyncd[2195]: [W] enforceDetailConstraints:2007 - "Invalid detail type: Family" 
Dec 22 13:44:07 localhost msyncd[2195]: [W] ContactWriter::save:1880 - "Error creating contact: 3 syncTarget: local" 
Dec 22 13:44:07 localhost msyncd[2195]: [W] ContactsBackend::addContacts:154 - Errors reported while saving contacts: 3 
Dec 22 13:44:07 localhost msyncd[2195]: [W] ContactsBackend::addContacts:175 - Contact with id  QContactId((null)) and index 0 is in error
Dec 22 13:44:07 localhost msyncd[2195]: [W] ContactsBackend::addContacts:175 - Contact with id  QContactId((null)) and index 1 is in error
The first part might be lacking DevInfo, used by Memotoo for showing a pretty name and picture of the device (it does show such picture for the N9)

The "invalid detail type: Family" seems to be what's breaking stuff for this contact. It did work on the N9!

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Helsinki
It only works for ambiences that you set as favorites.

Go to the Gallery, choose the ambience category. Tap on an ambience. It'll appear magnifed and there'll be a star-icon on the lower right. Tap on this star to make the ambience your favorite. Swipe from right to left to confirm/save. Repeat with other ambiences.

Now you can select one of your favorites from the gesture you saw on the video.

Took me a while to figure that out.
What I don't get is why some ambiences, when set as favorites, can have their own ringtones etc. assigned, while others only let you change the volume for the ambience.
Thx - took me a while too fiddle it out. Only after the 3rd try with the same picture it showed under ambience. Happy Sailor now

How can I change the hostname of my device? The n900 way by setting the bluetooth name does not work. I learned that for systemd hostnamectl is used but this binary does not exist...

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 238 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Got mine finally a hour ago. So far no major issues, though WLAN gave me small headache first. Configuring WLAN didn't succeed before I changed it to visible from hidden. After that it succeeded with 1st try and there were no further issues even though I turned WLAN back to hidden.

Not a unique problem though, I have seen same happening e.g. with my wife's Lumia.

The Following User Says Thank You to JiiHoo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
Long pressing on the specific alarm at the alarms screen should open option to change it and to delete it.

Can't say anything about that one hour change in the alarm time. Doesn't happen to me.

Is your Store working correctly now?
I can confirm that this issue happens on my phone too. It might have to do with the location? Both me and Richard live in the U.K.

Furthermore, i have noticed that when i select to have the date automatically updated, the time-zone changes to Finland.

I am using the phone without a sim for now, but i doubt this has anything to do with the problem. I also have the latest updates.

Also, does the alarm work for anyone when the phone is off?

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience