Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Hey, how do you like this thread search response,
"No similar topics found. Start your thread and let the community discuss it." yap, lets go...

I have moved.
I moved from a metro to a small city. There are only three supermarkets in town. But I wake up to wild geese flying overhead, watching fish jumping, wood ducks quacking... Yes, I am living at a river, watching the water flow any time I want to. I think the trade off is worth it. I was in the market for dataplan and cellphone in the last 2 wks, as tmob does not work here. I would like to drop a note or 2 for myself in case I have to do it again.

Cellphone providers

Atnt
Virizon
Sprint

Payasyougo
VirginMobile (sprint coverage without roaming)
PagePlus (Virizon coverage?)

I go between workplace and home most of the time. I dont talk much.
VirginMobile 25$/month, unlimited data/text, 300 min talktime, no contract, sprint coverage, no roaming. Phone dead when in the areas of no coverage. Currently Sprint covers ND to NY, good. ND to CA dead. Again, no raoming, so it is dead. In my small town, 3G coverage is very reliable, not a problem whatsoever, been with it for 1 wk and like it so far. Goodbye tmob.

Cellphone from VM ranged from $30 to, $200 somewhat smartphones.

I picked up a LG Optimus V from walmart for $200+tax; pumped in a $25 prepaid credit, it worked right out of the box, day1! It runs android 2.2.1, Google Navigation with turn-to-turn voice guide caught the gps signal eye-blinking! not lag time or wait time! This is a 'shock' for people that are 'trained' with N810 and N900. Ouch, it hurts Oh, Optimus from walmart has a 30 day return policy, or Amazon.com for $169.99.

LG Optimus V
has a 3.2" capacitance screen with multitouch, very responsive. so far, I have been running with any TV programs I can find under android. And runs very smooth.
512 MB storage with microSD.

Entertainment: AnimalPlanet, Discovery, E!Online, msnbc, TMZ, tv.com, UCvideoaudio, webTV, Youtube, TVChina, CCTV, DIRECTV. Each of these carries over 40 - 50 programs, and each program contains over 30+ broadcast. There is no way any human being can exhause this TV listings! I repeat, it streams so smooth, it has no difference than watching from my real TV

News:CNN, fox(?), CBSnews

PDA
: no thrill PDAs softwares available. DocToGo, spreadsheet/calenders/todo from google markets

Sip: Skype, Fring, crystal clear, no stuttering with 3G/wifi

Browser: FF, Opera, and the built-in one

Integrated with VoiceActivated from google, a very nice features and fun to use. Google search is voice activated, just talk to your cellphone, it searches! Navigation too! Just say your destination, it open up the navigation and route and reroute, eye-blinking

Pros: runs android, free apps more than one want
512 Mb
Froyo came right out of box

Cons: runs android, a handicapped smartphone when compared to our ex, the N8x0 or the n900. Well, I am just a user, I am not into any debate of anything.
3.2" screen is the biggest handicap. Oh well, I have been trained with n900, 3.5 in screen. Not a make-or-break issue.
no hardware keyboard

A little bit side note: I have not touched the n900 for 3 days. I have not touched N810,N800, 770 for 4 monthes. Today I booted them up just to take pics for comparison. ALL went up without any hiccup, except the n900 . the battery is gone for the n900. While all others can store charge when not in use, the n900 does have battery issue.

To me, the LG optimus V is the closest n900 replacement I have found. Comments?

No pic, no story. Here are the pics, enjoy

The last pic is the LG sitting on N900, a comparison of the thickness and size.
bun
Attached Images

Last edited by bunanson; 2011-06-13 at 19:45.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Is this bunanson's goodbye post? Hell, NO!

I was thinking, TMO is a friend. Do you ever walk up to a friend and say, "I came here to say goodbye." less mention write him/her a goodbye note. You know what my friends are going to say?

"What? You going on a trip? Where to?"
"What? Are you alright? The doc said you are dying? I worry about you, bun!"
"You must be sleeping with my wife, ... again! I want to shoot you"

The way I look at my n900 is very different than the way I am in TMO. n8x0, n900, 770 or optimus V, they come and go. But TMO is my fav online surf for a long time to come. I like it, I come more often. I dont like it, I lurk as I want to. Developing for maemo? only if Nokia say hello to me, again. I sure miss qwerty12. Wonder what he is up to now, perhaps bog down with college stuff..., find another flame, a real person rather than nokia, and have kids . I hope by now qwerty12 is old enough to have kids

Anyhow, different folk, different strokes. This is my 2cents.

I know this is goin to irk my friends. But, hey, they already say goodbye. They are not suppose to post and argue with me... that is another advantage of not saying goodbye
Please dont take me too serious. I am playful AT ALL TIME.

bun
Attached Images

Last edited by bunanson; 2011-06-12 at 20:25.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Really nice post. Had a good read while eating my tea
If I had to choose a replacement, which I will have to in 2 months with upgrade. I am swaying towards the Samsung galaxy S2. Had a go on one last night and it is georgeous.

The Following User Says Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
Oh, look at that beauty! The N900, that is.

It's a shame they went with a three row keyboard instead of four, though.

Last edited by volt; 2011-06-11 at 18:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shittown
I never understand why people MUST have to push the forums full with ads! Look, i'm happy that you get this and that, and i'm happy how you fell about your devices and you share your experiences, but i doubt anyone will care on this planet where did you get it and for how much.

But people just keep posting such things... i even wonder if somebody pays for you to force such "nobody cares" informations, or in other word ads to your posts

ps.: N900 got 3.5" screen and not 3.2"

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Necc View Post
I never understand why people MUST have to push the forums full with ads! Look, i'm happy that you get this and that, and i'm happy how you fell about your devices and you share your experiences, but i doubt anyone will care on this planet where did you get it and for how much.

But people just keep posting such things... i even wonder if somebody pays for you to force such "nobody cares" informations, or in other word ads to your posts

This is the competitor forum. Perhaps you trotted into the wrong place?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
Originally Posted by Necc View Post

A) this is the competitors sub-forum, so naturally the discussion revolves anything that competes/might compete with the N900

B) purchase price is one of the key factors when deciding about a product

C) many of us who frequent the competitors forum are truly interested in what the competition can offer and for what price. Reading endgadget or watching a youtube review is hardly ever as valuable as a Maemo'er putting out a pro/con list

"The Cake Is A Lie"

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to frostbyte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Bun-

I got a galaxy s (vibrant) on tmo. Yours is a much better deal if you have coverage and don't have to roam. Haven't touched my n900 in a couple months.

Try astrid tasks. Syncs with google tasks, widget for home screen, fairly customizable. Works great for things that don't need to be on a calendar.

As a non-programmer, not much I miss from maemo, and far more things that work well on android. One thing I do miss is the fm transmitter occasionally. Recently picked up a motorola t505, bluetooth hands free, with fm transmitter. Works nearly as well a as the n900, and will transmit voice calls through the radio, then resume music.

*oh yea, enjoy your new toy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Hey Bun! Great to see you back on TMO

Quick question about the Optimus V and VirginMobile....

WiFI tethering....?

I currently have USCelluar(DumbPhone) and their cheapest Android plan is ~$70/month+$ tethering(I think) and I keep looking at that VM $25 Unlimited plan.

Plan: Cheap Data plan android (ie VM) + Tablet (N800 for now replacing the N800 with rooted NookColor when my cashflow improves )

Later

Snoshrk

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoshrk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Snoshrk View Post
Hey Bun! Great to see you back on TMO

Quick question about the Optimus V and VirginMobile....

WiFI tethering....?

I currently have USCelluar(DumbPhone) and their cheapest Android plan is ~$70/month+$ tethering(I think) and I keep looking at that VM $25 Unlimited plan.

Plan: Cheap Data plan android (ie VM) + Tablet (N800 for now replacing the N800 with rooted NookColor when my cashflow improves )

Later

Snoshrk
Hey, good to see you around too !

Wifi tethering is great! If you are good, you tweak and tether yourself. I am NOT that good. I use a 'paid' program PdaNet, tether in one minute. And the netbook, not a very powerful computer anyway, when tether via LG Optimus V, be it 3G or wifi, the netbook is very responsive. I would brag that one cannot tell it is tethering. VirginMobile does have a fairuse policy. I dont know wether it has any user policy against tethering. Presumably tether once a week, I guess, should not be a problem. Of, tether 24/7 will trigger something. And dont forget, this virgin mobile has NO contract. anytime I am not happy, booooom, i jump ship. That is the advantage of no contract. I have people switch from android to iphone for ? reason, now seeing my android, regret their decison. But they cannot switch back, as iphone/atnt locked them into a 2 year contract.

I just moved into this town, less than 3 weeks. I am not in a position to lock into a 2 year contract. I am happy with virgin mobile, so far. And I am happy with this little LG Optimus.

Hey, good to see all those old timers drop by. come on, we dont need Nokia to have a good time. We may do better if Nokia put out something nice. But hey, if Nokia does not do squat. We still can have a community of our own. Right?

Edit: I just check, Snoshrk, your boone/IW is covered. you should be fine in town. Again, when going west, you will enter into a blackhole. Then the question one ask himself/herself: you want to pay a lot of money so that you are always ready to go CA or you rather save a few buck, and put up with the possible once a year CA trip? I have no plan to go west at this moment, I am fine with NOT being able to go west.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2011-06-11 at 22:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:

Tags
data plan, droid, google, optimus