Active Topics

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
NO NO NO, this is all wrong

There is a deb, it installs KDE v3 on the partition you are booted to. It does not boot to KDE. If you want to use KDE, start it from the extras menu in Hildon.

kde-installer-v3.deb

There is another DEB

kde-boot.deb

This is a very small DEB what will switch it so you boot to KDE insead of hildon, if you remove it, it will again boot from Hildon.
If you boot to KDE, you can still logout of KDE and get back to hildon.

Is this clearer yet???????? (Reread post #6, does it make more sense now?)

(IF YOU ARE USING THE INSTALL MADE EASY DEBS YOU CANNOT UPGRADE, it would have to be completely removed)

I am confused exactly what the issue is?
Ok I understand now. Thanks for clearing it up for me. I was in the process of unistalling the old kde on my external from application manager, but now Im in a boot menu loop and cant boot to my internal anymore. Oh well. As soon as I get this problem cleared up I will be installing your new kde. Thanks again for yourtime and patience.

I dont suppose you have a quick-n-easy fix for recovering from a boot menu loop? I just uninstalled the old kde from application manager and rebooted my n800. It comes to the Boot menu, I choose "MMC card, partition2, ext2". The blue line goes 95% across the bottom, then it reboots back to the boot menu. Its weird because kde wasnt even installed on the card that I boot from (mmc2). My card doesnt appear to be corrupted so I am at a loss. Any ideas?

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
This is grait!!!! thanks penguinbait!!!
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by supergadgetman View Post
I dont suppose you have a quick-n-easy fix for recovering from a boot menu loop? I just uninstalled the old kde from application manager and rebooted my n800. It comes to the Boot menu, I choose "MMC card, partition2, ext2". The blue line goes 95% across the bottom, then it reboots back to the boot menu. Its weird because kde wasnt even installed on the card that I boot from (mmc2). My card doesnt appear to be corrupted so I am at a loss. Any ideas?
I am really confused about your setup.

I think you are saying, that you have an n800
it has bootmenu installed and you were booting from SD.

You installed KDE into your boot from SD partition using . . .

KDE/Koffice Install made easy for everyone
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=14680

If this is the case, this was not a supported configuration and I am unsure what has happened. Its really hard to say off the top of my head.

The problem is that the "KDE/Koffice Install made easy for everyone" was made to run from flash, so removing it from a boot from SD partition may leave a configuration file somehow depending on booting to flash.

It was not intended to work this way, and I am surprised it booted after you installed it.

If this is not the case, and my assumptions are wrong?

Then please provide me with (exactly) how you installed KDE
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

A few months ago I installed kde 3.5 into my external mmc1 using the "KDE install made easy". I didnt want to boot into kde since I already had my os cloned to sd and was booting to mmc2 just fine. This setup has been working fine and whenever I wanted run kde, I simply launched it from the extra's menu. Today I saw your new version that supported bluetooth mice so I of course wanted to use that version instead. After a few questions that you graciously answered for me I was ready to try your new version. So I proceeded to uninstall my version of kde from application manager. I figured I could just uninstall the version that I had and install the new version. You did explain that this new version would install on my internal mmc2 since that is what I boot to. And I was fine with that since you told me I could still boot to Hildon. I tried to uninstall my version of kde using application manager and I was at the last file wich was the kdesup 3.5.8 deb. It gave me an error and told me it could not be uninstalled. I rebooted my n800 and that is were the problems started. I cant boot to my internal mmc2 anymore. I find that odd because kde wasnt even installed on that card. It just keeps going to a boot loop and I end up back at the boot menu. I fully understand your whole process now, but I am in a whole other mess and havent even had the chance to try your new version. I might end up having to format my card, redo my whole os clone again, and reinstall all my apps again. Im not sure, but I cant boot to my internal mmc2 for now and thats where my whole os and apps were located. I can boot to flash, but of none of my apps are installed to flash. Well anyway thanks for all your help. I'll try a lil longer to get thing this booted up. If not I'll just format and use your automated process of cloning the os to the card. When I originally cloned my os to card a few months ago I used the long drawn out process of manually typing all the commands in xterm. I'll use your quick automated process this time, then once I'm up I'll try your new version of kde. Thanks again!!

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ South Florida
Well, I'm into my second day of trying to install v3...

Seems that I get the first payload downloaded and installed...
but the second one seems to be in a loop of wget - check md5sum
and go back to wget... looking at the install script confirms this.
4hours + and counting...

Did the 2nd file get an update that my installer has an old md5sum for?

The installer deb file was downloaded yesterday afternoon.

Anyone else seeing this?

Originally Posted by ebrindle View Post
Well, I'm into my second day of trying to install v3...

Seems that I get the first payload downloaded and installed...
but the second one seems to be in a loop of wget - check md5sum
and go back to wget... looking at the install script confirms this.
4hours + and counting...

Did the 2nd file get an update that my installer has an old md5sum for?

The installer deb file was downloaded yesterday afternoon.

Anyone else seeing this?
open xterm and rm the file, it will download again, it must be a corrupt file

as root
rm /root/kde-installer/SUPv3.tgz

Let it finsh
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Penguinbait,
Installed your easy method of cloning the os to sd and then installed kde to my boot card. All is running well on my 16gig transcend sd card. Do I still need to enable my virtual memory with this setup?
Thanks again

Originally Posted by supergadgetman View Post
Penguinbait,
Installed your easy method of cloning the os to sd and then installed kde to my boot card. All is running well on my 16gig transcend sd card. Do I still need to enable my virtual memory with this setup?
Thanks again
I have not seen this personally, since I only have 8GB. I think it should have created 1GB swap partition.

Can you open xtern and type "free"

and Paste the output here?

It should be already working, 8GB will have 512MB SWAP. I am just not sure if 1GB would be supported, but 512 is so your proabably good...

Glad to see your up, failry easy process??

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I have not seen this personally, since I only have 8GB. I think it should have created 1GB swap partition.

Can you open xtern and type "free"

and Paste the output here?

It should be already working, 8GB will have 512MB SWAP. I am just not sure if 1GB would be supported, but 512 is so your proabably good...

Glad to see your up, failry easy process??
$ free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 126828 124780 2048 0 752
Swap: 980888 9940 970948
Total: 1107716 134720 972996
~ $

Here is what xterm says. looks like i have a 1 gb swap file? So no need to enable virtual memory in control panel??

The whole process was pretty painless. so much easier than doing it manually like i originally did a few months back.

Tags
kde, kde35, koffice