Hi - I couldn't find a solution for this!

Just got a Google Nexus 7 and cant seem to use the N9 as a mobile hotspot... something to do with the N9 presenting an "ad hoc" network (?) which the Nexus 7 wont recognise.

Any idea how to get round this? There do appear to be solutions for other Nokia devices.

Any help would be great, without the hotspot i'm limited to Wifi!

Cheers

S

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
If someone donates me Nexus 7, then I can probably port/compile hostapd and make some GUI to it for Harmattan. But as currently all my devices work with adhoc, so there is no reason for me to try getting it work...

But maybe someone else will do such an app someday.

Maybe you should make bug report(/feature request) to nexus/android bugzilla and ask them to support adhoc in their future firmware versions.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2012-07-24 at 22:26.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Afaik a lot of android devices suffers from this issue not being able to see ad hoc connections.

There's some workarounds though. I'm not sure wether it's as an .apk or patch and I think you need root access to do it.

Google it, I did at some point as I tried to get nitdroid on my N900 to detect my tethering from my N9. Didn't give it much try nor time cause I went fir nitdroid on my N9.

Regards Dousan...

e: maybe there's even an app on play store to do this...

e2: try out this link, it's a drag to do and seems like it has to be done every time you reconnect. It didn't work for me on my N900. It was shown as detected but couldn't connect as it was out of range.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1427207

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Last edited by Dousan; 2012-07-25 at 12:38.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Switzerland/Zurich
Sometime ago I had the same problem with my android device - lg p500, and I've found a solution in this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1325593&page=2

Don't exactly remember what did the trick, but it was in that thread, so read through it
However, this worked on Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread, I'm not sure if you can do the same on nexus 7 (it's running jellybean, right?).

Of course an easy solution is the Lumia

Edit: It was just announced the Nexus 7 is coming after all (to the Nordic) in September. No Surface then. Lumia + Nexus 7 = perfect match, tethering and all.

Last edited by specc; 2012-07-25 at 10:55.

Does the N9 have bluetooth PAN? I just used some good scripts from another thread on my N900 to tether to my Nexus 7. Works great. I don't have an N9 yet to try there.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jackburton View Post
Does the N9 have bluetooth PAN? I just used some good scripts from another thread on my N900 to tether to my Nexus 7. Works great. I don't have an N9 yet to try there.
By default it doesn't, but you can always compile/port support for it from Bluez.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Perth, Australia
I just got tethering working using Bluetooth between the N9 and Nexus 7. I prefer Bluetooth tethering when I don't need a super-fast connection as it goes easier on the battery.

I installed an app on the Nexus 7 from Google Play called "BlueVPN [DUN Client]". I then paired the devices, started BlueVPN, and set the Access Point (3G) name in the settings. I could then link to the N9 and use my 3G connection.

I've also read that this works more reliably when wi-fi is turned off on the Nexus 7.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mattaustin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
By default it doesn't, but you can always compile/port support for it from Bluez.

I hope to get an N9 in the next few months. Can't wait to try.

Well now this is fine news mattaustin! I will try this presently and report back