Notices

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
you need to reboot and probably re-install fastSMSevo

i like mcip cause of cut copy paste function but too bad as it doesnt have portrait keyboard. evo is good cause of portrait but no cut copy paste. Plus mcip looks very much unfinished in landscape mode too. Difficult decision. hope evo gets cut copy paste or mcip gets portrait keyboard and becomes more finished

i recommend adding a ñ it a latin symbol, used in spanish, to the EN keyboard.

Originally Posted by anismistry View Post
even after removing mcip it still pops up when entering text. I was hoping to see fastsmsevo to pop once mcip is removed as i has fastsmsevo keyboard earlier. Why is this happening pls help
The quick fix would be running this as root:
Code:
/usr/bin/gtk-query-immodules-2.0 > /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules

Originally Posted by anismistry View Post
i like mcip cause of cut copy paste function but too bad as it doesnt have portrait keyboard. evo is good cause of portrait but no cut copy paste. Plus mcip looks very much unfinished in landscape mode too. Difficult decision. hope evo gets cut copy paste or mcip gets portrait keyboard and becomes more finished
mcip has a qwerty keyboard and also a t9 keyboard in portrait mode...

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 505 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Israel
I would like to use mcip but it does not have Hebrew layout - so I started looking at the code in hope I can maybe fork it. Then after looking at this thread, I've noticed that there are some people that are missing certain characters because of their native language which is neither En or Ch.

Since I recently started adding multilingual support to a project I'm working on (qwazer), I can give several tips that if implemented can solve some issues described above:
1) cute-input-method / src / host / extra / Keyboard.qml:
Extern the Column into a new QML file named layout_ch.qml and another that is named layout_en.qml
And add 2 properties called "name" & "layoutID" in each which will designate the language name (like English) and its ID (like en)
2) Add in a settings dialog the ability to multiselect which layout_<langID>.qml to use according to the selected names
3) Instead of the Column in the Keyboard.qml do the trick described here
4) Similarly with the T9 logic if needed (I couldn't find the T9 database...)
5) Change the switch layout to rotate between the various selected layouts
6) Use qsTr(), but I don't think that you will need it.

I think that that's about it, but I might have missed something.

Edit:
Instead of forking it, for now I changed the util.js to show Hebrew chars instead of English ones when the Ch layout is selected. That is not enough as when I click on a char it has no effect. I will dig more deeply.
Regarding adding several layouts, maybe should also make the util.js => util_en.js && util_ch.js...

Edit 2:
After commenting 5 lines of Ch related code in the releaseKey function, it works like a charm with Hebrew as well (no T9 yet).
I will attached the two modified files later today to this thread.
BTW, something that is highly annoying - the Fn key no longer works in Terminal - is it a known issue?

Edit 3:
One more issue: when clicking space the layout changes briefly to English so when typing fast enough, there are some English characters at the beginning of some words...

Last edited by damagedspline; 2011-06-29 at 11:04. Reason: Switched Ch with עב

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 505 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Israel
Hebrew "patch" attached - needs some layout changes as the number of keys in each row doesn't truly match the Hebrew layout. Still it is better then the builtin vkb.

I also noticed another issue and it is the "symbols" dialog that is shown when Fn+Ctrl is pressed. based on what I seen in the code (which is quite good) it can pop a similar dialog without too many changes.

The only problem I see with integrating multi-layout is the T9.
It is initialized once when the engine is set to load, so current design will only look at one file (found it: ~/.config/mcip/sysdict). This is not good and will have to only load the selected languages. I think that the T9 needs a language button as well.
the dictionary can be stored in a SQLite DB instead of a file - it will have easier access in the QML and also will not have to be stored in the memory while mcip is running in the background. For SQLite integration see here
Attached Files
File Type: zip Keyboard.qml.zip (4.0 KB, 171 views)

hey i just wanned to ask, cant u use OPERA keyboard. i mean port it or do whatever to replace the stock keyboard with it??

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by haroon23 View Post
hey i just wanned to ask, cant u use OPERA keyboard. i mean port it or do whatever to replace the stock keyboard with it??
Like the keyboard too, but it's closed source, so no option.

Wow,
definately the best virtual keyboard atm for n900!!

I downloaded the mcip-nt1 and I have read this topic, didnt find solution to this:
- when writing (english) and tap outside the keyboard, it goes away like it should but the text disappears. Only way to go over this, is to open hw-keyboard, then the text stays.

Any ideas on this?

Tags
keyboard, nokia n900