Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by claustn View Post
Hi rinigus, thanks for your wonderful work, it was quite useful during my last road trip!

I like hiking and mountain biking during my spare time, what do you think about a functionality to add several waypoints for navigation? So a ruote could go from A to B to C to D and ends at E. This would be really helpful for planning hiking trips. Maybe adding also the elevation (ascent descent) for the planned route.
Great to hear, I didn't have a chance due to pandemic to use it well this year, mostly local trips.

Waypoints are one of the reasons I want to rewrite navigation part. So that is planned.

Elevation I tested a while ago with Valhalla and OSM Scout Server. It did require large amount of data, don't remember specifics anymore. But will probably have to look into it again.

PS: as for elevation in online services, I am not sure stadia has those datasets included

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
No, not yet. You could open it with geo: argument to see POI, but not to route to it immediately.

So, how do you envision such start? Calculate route and start navigation as well? Or just show the route?

I have a small break with maps development in August and will have to assess what to do next after that. Navigation part is planned to be rewritten and it is probably the next I will do with the maps.
My ideal option would be something where I call it with coordinates and Pure Maps opens, calculates the route and starts navigating to that destination. This is to support the use case that if someone is using Saera to set a navigation destination there's a good chance they are driving or otherwise need their hands free.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
My ideal option would be something where I call it with coordinates and Pure Maps opens, calculates the route and starts navigating to that destination. This is to support the use case that if someone is using Saera to set a navigation destination there's a good chance they are driving or otherwise need their hands free.
Sorry, got somewhat distracted with the recent events and forgot to reply last night.

Driven by smartwatches, but perfectly usable in hands-free scenario as well, I was thinking to add dbus service to Pure Maps. Something that would allow you to get state of navigation and, as you suggest, start one. While not as simple as firing with cmdline, it would allow you to handle cases where route was not calculated due to the wrong router, for example. In principle, we could make dbus api to switch the router as well. I think in longer term, that would be better solution.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
That would also work!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Apologies if this has been mentioned before (TMO's search feature is a bit basic) - I imported a GPX file and followed it successfully from beginning to end, then on the way back I tried to reverse the endpoints, but that didn't do anything.

I am guessing that this isn't a feature, so perhaps the option in the menu should disappear in "GPX file" mode. I did follow the route backwards, but the pointer would actually go backwards too, which is quite fun

I would have been quite happy with being able to follow the reversed route, even if that wouldn't work in most cases as you go against traffic.

Side note: the ETA for bicycle mode assumes you're faster than an olympic cyclist, perhaps that should be adjusted too

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
It is planned to add GPX reversal, issue has been filed already. As for when, hard to predict.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Side note: the ETA for bicycle mode assumes you're faster than an olympic cyclist, perhaps that should be adjusted too
The same applies to car journeys

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The same applies to car journeys
To be fair, cars usually are faster than olympic cyclists.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
To be fair, cars usually are faster than olympic cyclists.
That's what I get for ambiguous messaging. I deserved it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I think ETA has been discussed earlier several times. Please find good examples and file issues with Valhalla. For me, it works relatively well. But haven't used maps as much as usual due to reduced traveling this year.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: