Notices

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Congrats, you are where I was six months ago when I gave up.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I've never used or even looked at Powerlaunch before, but according to the "Powerlaunch" section on the "Powerlaunch: Documentation" page, the software looks for its configuration files--both .conf and .glade--in "/home/user/.powerlaunch" and "/etc/powerlaunch", in that order. Also, by default, the file for which it looks is "powerlaunch.conf". There's an implication that there's a way to get fancy and specify either alternate or additional configuration files, but I didn't notice how to do that at a glance.
Exactly; the sane thing to do would be to copy them all to ~/.powerlaunch, and work there; as long as you can get access to remove that whole directory, you can restore to a known good state.

Myself, I rashly edited them in /etc/powerlaunch, and was sufficiently careful to rarely break things... Don't be an idiot like me, though; rarely is no substitute for never.

(Were I as careful as I ought to have been, I'd have had a whole list of breakable things that could easily be restored, and had a script run (very early) during bootup check the SD card for a file named AAARRRGH, and automatically restore them if that was detected, as I didn't even have a dual-boot at that time. But, what is there to say? I was young and foolish then.)

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
so could someone tell me how I can implement softpoweroff with the keypress that I prefer (shortkeypress on powerkey)?
I'll assume you know how to edit config files and get around command line. There's no graphical configuration tool. Try this:

Code:
mkdir ~/.powerlaunch
cp /etc/powerlaunch/powerlaunch.conf ~/.powerlaunch
Now you can edit ~/.powerlaunch.conf as that's the main config file. The section at the top labeled [main] is the primary mode. You probably don't need most of the stuff in there but there's some examples in there such as creating menus or shortcut keys for things you may do often, like running ssh, running top, whatever.

In any case, here's a simple powerlaunch.conf file (you can just replace the entire file with this) and this will have short power key press go to softpoweroff, long power key release to turn it back on, and long power key press to show the menu (I assume that's what you want, unless you don't want the menu at all).

Code:
[main]
on_init = call common.init.main; inherit systemui.ui; call systemui.ui.layout
key_release_power = if $powerkey_short system.device.softpoweroff common.ui.show 
powerkey_long_release = softpoweron

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Well... I used it, before I went all Diablo-happy. I knew I'd go back at some point, but wanted to try out the new improved mce.

The good news: It's not necessary with Diablo, if you're lucky. (I was, the General wasn't, and I think a couple of others may have reported experience one way or the other...) If all you want is softpoweroff, I think that's largely attainable by editing /etc/mce/mce.ini. (I must warn you that there's a warning in mce.ini similar to the one in powerlaunch about making it impossible to shut down... but if you're careful with either program, it's pretty straightforward.)
That's interesting news, to say the least. It might even tempt me to finally try ITOS2008 out. I'm pretty confident about my mce.ini editing skills , as it's simple enough.

Thanks, Benson.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by austin View Post
I'll assume you know how to edit config files and get around command line. There's no graphical configuration tool. Try this:

Code:
mkdir ~/.powerlaunch
cp /etc/powerlaunch/powerlaunch.conf ~/.powerlaunch
Now you can edit ~/.powerlaunch.conf as that's the main config file. The section at the top labeled [main] is the primary mode. You probably don't need most of the stuff in there but there's some examples in there such as creating menus or shortcut keys for things you may do often, like running ssh, running top, whatever.

In any case, here's a simple powerlaunch.conf file (you can just replace the entire file with this) and this will have short power key press go to softpoweroff, long power key release to turn it back on, and long power key press to show the menu (I assume that's what you want, unless you don't want the menu at all).

Code:
[main]
on_init = call common.init.main; inherit systemui.ui; call systemui.ui.layout
key_release_power = if $powerkey_short system.device.softpoweroff common.ui.show 
powerkey_long_release = softpoweron
Now, you see, that's the problem. It's just too darn complicated to accomplish simple stuff; all I want is to assign shortkeypress to softpoweroff and longkeypress to power menu (it used to be the other way around, but Maemo apparently also reocognizes mediumkeypress, which means that you have to do the "one mississipi" thing to get it right). In mce.ini, all I basically have to do is switch values in two entries in the file, but you expect me to freaking call things and inherit stuff! WTF?!

I don't want to have to learn yet another (pseudo-)programming language to just assign keypresses. Developers who might be interested in using the awesome superpowers of Powerlaunch probably don't care, but end users do. Trust me. Powerlaunch is not usable for a user with at best limited skills in editing text-based configuration files; your configuration files aren't that, they're scripts invoking pretty highlevel programming stuff.

It's most likely a fantastic program, but only a very select few are ever going to find that out; the rest of us are either going to be so overwhelmed that they give up or simply relinquish themselves to running the preconfigured stuff, which only accidentally will do what they want.

It's very nice that you bothered to precode it for me, but are you prepared to do this for every user who asks for it? Incidentally, I learned exactly nothing from your example; I know as much about the workings of Powerlaunch now as I did before. I admit I'm a pretty dim light when it comes to coding (actually, that's not correct: the light isn't even on), but I have a nagging feeling that in this I represent a pretty large chunk of the Itablet user base (bottom of that chunk, but still...).

Okay, sorry about the rant. It wasn't really meant that way, but my fingers often get the better of me. I'm sure Powerlaunch is a great program, it's just too rich for me...

Well, yes. Powerlaunch is fully programmable; you make the trade of a serious barrier to working with it for full control.

Possibilities, I suppose, include adding some simple and straightforward settings that would be translated into actual settings. (Can we parse a settings file in powerlaunch to accomplish that?) But, bottomline, since Nokia is substantially improving mce/systemui, that's probably the best bet for those who are only willing to learn enough to edit config files, rather than program. It was still a bit buggy last I used it (shortly before final release), so it's probably not quite back working completely, but it should be right shortly, and useful enough for such purposes.

I'm not sure why you think powerlaunch is targeted at end users. It's not even in any standard repository so you have to go to some effort to find and install it. It certainly can be made more end-user friendly such as translating some set of "standard" config options like what mce has into powerlaunch code. But you have to understand that the primary intent of the program is to replace closed source components. For example, the current target of the program is on replacing dsme also and not of making the front-end easier to use. The extreme customizability of powerlaunch is just a side effect of the architecture that happened to make the most sense while programming. It could have had no programmability and just emulated systemui/mce. With that said, it is programmable and if there were a list of "standard" config options that people wanted, it would be pretty easy to create a single file like simple.conf where you could just edit and uncomment out appropriate lines and everything would "just work". I just have no idea what those standard options should be. While you may think changing the power key behavior is important, I mostly need the ability to control the device with the screen off. Also, assigning keypresses to things (which seems like it'd be pretty common desire), seems highly dependent on user's preferences, and aside from writing a GUI, I don't know how you can really simplify the config language from something like "key_up = exec osso-xterm" which seems about as simple as you can get for this operation. Certainly any suggestions are welcome.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
hey austin im one off those end user types...i use powerlaunch solely for softpoweroff...kinda too scared to monkey with too much...however if there were sample configs that had an explanation...id be willing to give it a shot...off late ive noticed alot off the fresher newbies asking alot...im willing to bet some will stumbe apun powerlaunch...so be prepared for alot off questions heck ive got alot off em...just ask other people(benson)

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I noticed that Powerlaunch said that the audience was intended to be developers, but the options available in the default setup for Powerlaunch are things that inherently interest end-users. I don't see why only developers would want to use the features available for Powerlaunch.

I would like to see a bunch of sample screens with explanations of what they do, and maybe the samples would be chosen so that typical users could blindly copy them to get what they want.

Powerlaunch is pretty popular, I think. But I can see that if Powerlaunch is about to be made obsolete by improvements in the default system, it might not be energy-efficient to put a lot of effort into explaining it.

Ok. I've added some config files in v. 0.8-4: https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa....8-4_armel.deb

It will automatically read /etc/mce/mce.ini for power key settings. So you can just change that file if you wish. People interested can read mce.conf to see how it's implemented. All power key logic is now in powerkey.conf in case any one wants to change the behavior more drastically such as have something happen on triple presses or something else. The medium length power key hold doesn't have a default function currently but is implemented and you just need to assign some action to key_power_medium.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to austin For This Useful Post: